Jo-Anne Yearwood joined the College of Education and Human Development as a Program Director in the fall of 1998 when she was hired to direct the University Children’s Learning Center (UCLC), formally known as the University Children’s Center (UCC) and teach two early childhood student teaching related courses. After 17 years of directing the Center, Jo-Anne accepted the opportunity to teach fulltime in the Early Childhood Education Program area in the fall of 2015 where she now teachers Methods and Materials in ECE, Field Experience in ECE, Administration and Leadership in ECE (undergraduate and graduate levels) and Assessment in ECE (graduate level), in addition to the two courses associated with Student Teaching. Jo-Anne earned both her Bachelors and Master’s degrees from the University of North Dakota (UND).
- T&L 322 Administration & Leadership in Early Childhood Education
- T& L 456 Pre –K Seminar
- T & L 487 Student Teaching Pre-K
- T & L 333 Methods & Material Pre-K
- T&L 486 Field Experience in Early Childhood Education
- T&L 590. Special Topics (online) Administration and Leadership in ECE III
- T&L 590. Special Topics (online) Administration and Leadership in ECE II
- T&L 590. Special Topics (online) Administration and Leadership in ECE I
- T&L 997, ECE Independent Study (online)
- T&L 590, Special Topics (online) Assessment in Early Childhood Education
Areas of Interests
- Quality Programming in ECE programs
- Leadership in Early Childhood Education
- Offutt, S., J., Chiasson K., Yearwood J., (2008) What do I do now? Supporting Early Childhood Teachers In Working with Children Who Exhibit Challenging Behaviors, The Journal for Campus Children’s Centers-The Voice 4, N.1.
- Chiasson K., Yearwood J., & Olsen G., (2006) The Best of Both Worlds: Combining ECE and ECSE Philosophies and Best Practices Through a Co teaching Model, Journal of Early Childhood Teacher Education 27 (3)
- Salyers, M, Yearwood, J, Baas S., “Beyond Borders: Establishing Mutually Beneficial Partnerships for Continuous Improvement and Ensuring Diverse Student Teaching Experiences, American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education, Tampa Florida. March, 2017
- Yearwood, J., Nilles D. “Creating a DAP classroom-one teacher at a time,” The National Association for the Education of Young Children, Atlanta, GA. November, 2012 (unable to present)
- Lehnhardt, K., Meyer, J., Yearwood, J., “Crossing Boundaries and Creating New Intersections: Strategies for linking professional development initiatives to college credit, National Association for the Education of Young Children Professional Development Institute, June 2011
- Yearwood, J., Johnson, Maren A. “Two Campus Childcare Centers' Journey to Collaboration: Lessons Learned”. National Coalition for Campus Children's Centers, San Diego CA, April, 2011
- Yearwood, J., “Hiring the Right Person to staff your Facility” Building a Childcare Business Event, Devils Lake, ND (April, 2016).
- Yearwood, J., “Assessment in Early Childhood Education” Department of Public Instruction (DPI) First Annual Early Childhood Education Conference, Bismarck, ND (April, 2015).
- Yearwood, J., “Working with Families,” Providers using Mindful Play (PUMP) Association, Grand Forks, ND (March, 2015).
- Yearwood, J., “Policies, Rates and Parent Involvement,” Grand Forks Home Child Care Providers Association, Grand Forks, ND (January, 2013).
- Yearwood, J., “The Code of Ethical Conduct,” North East Chapter of the North Dakota Association for the Education of Young Children (NENDAEYC), United Day Nursery, Grand Forks, ND (December, 2011).
- 2016 Outstanding Student Organization Advisor, University of North Dakota Leadership Award-Student Involvement Office
- 2013 University of North Dakota Phenomenal Woman Award
- 2012 Academy of Education Arts and Sciences Bammy Award – Preschool Director of the Year
- University of North Dakota Faculty Star, 2011
- Aim4Excellence National Director Credential, May, 2011, McCormick Center for Early Childhood Leadership (National-Louis University)
- North Dakota Association for the Education of Young Children (NDAEYC) Meritorious Service Award, 2010
- Bachelor of Science , May 1986 University of North Dakota (Major: Elementary /Early Childhood Education)
- Master of Science , May 2003 University of North Dakota (Major: Early Childhood Education)