- Director, Biomedical Engineering Program, College of Engineering & Mines
Dr. Kouhyar Tavakolian is the director of the BioInnovation Zone (BiZ) at the University of North Dakota and the UND Site Director for Center to Stream Healthcare in Place (C2SHiP), which is an NSF I/UCRC center. Before joining UND, Dr. Tavakolian was a postdoctoral fellow at the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada. He has a BS degree in Biomedical Engineering (Tehran Polytechnic, Iran), an MS degree in Electrical Engineering (University of Tehran, Iran), and an MS degree in Computer Science (University of Northern British Columbia, Canada). He defended his PhD thesis in 2010 at Simon Fraser University in Canada.
Dr. Tavakolian's particular interest is in biological signal and image processing and biomedical instrumentation, and he has published more than hundred fifty journals, conference proceedings, patents, and book chapters in these fields. Dr. Tavakolian is a scientist with entrepreneurial interest and experience in knowledge transfer to the industry. He has co-founded startups, served as a board member, and is currently working towards finishing an MBA degree at the University of North Dakota. Dr Tavakolian is also one of the founders of the Senior Healthcare Innovation Consortium (SHIC), which is focused on bringing healthcare into place for the senior population.
Electric Circuits I and II, 2015-2018
Machine Learning Applications in Biomedical Engineering 2016-2020
Capstone Senior Design Projects 2018-2021
Biomedical Instrumentation, 2018-2021
Physiology and Anatomy for Biomedical Engineers, 2019-2021
Biomedical Signal and Image Processing
Noninvasive cardiology methods: Seismocardiography, Ballistocardiography and Apexcardiography
Nicholas Wilson, Kouhyar Tavakolian “System, and Methods for Pilot/Operator Navigation Augmentation and Physiological Monitoring” US20160332567, June 2019.
Selected Journal Papers:
1. H. Taheri, J. Van Kessel, B Haley, K Husarik, J Sonnier, S.M. Shahabi, H. Kashani Zadeh, D Chan, J Qin, I Baek, S M Kim, A Akhbardeh, M Sohrabi, B Kerge, N MacKinnon, F Vasefi, K Tavakolian, Deep learning and multiwavelength fluorescence imaging for cleanliness assessment and disinfection in food services, Frontiers in Sensors, Vol 3, 2022.
2. F. Sadeghian, D. Divsalar, R. Fadil, K. Tavakolian, A. Blaber, Spaceflight-inspired exercises during head-down tilt bedrest blunted reductions in muscle-pump but not cardiac baroreflex in older persons, Frontiers in Physiology, Vol 13, 2022.
3. J Chauvin, A Akhbardeh, R Brunnemer, F Vasefi, G Bearman, A Huong, and K. Tavakolian, Simulated Annealing-Based Wavelength Selection for Robust Tissue Oxygenation Estimation Powered by the Extended Modified Lambert–Beer Law. Applied Sciences 2022, 12(17), 8490;
4. R. Fadil, A. Huether, A. Verma, R. Brunnemer, A. Blaber, J Lou, K. Tavakolian, Effect of Parkinson’s Disease on Cardio-postural Coupling During Orthostatic Challenge , Frontiers in Physiology , Vol 13, 2022.
5. R Fadil, B Hoffmann, S Lovelace, B Farahani, S Arzanpour, J Loscheider, A Aboonabi, K. Tavakolian, Design and Evaluation of a Dynamic Air Cushion for Pressure Ulcers Prevention, Journal of Tissue Viability,Elsevier, Accepte for Publication 2022.
6. H. Gorji, S. M. Shahabi, A Sharma, L Tande, K Husarik, J Qin, D E. Chan, I Baek, M Kim, N MacKinnon, J Morrow, S Sokolov, A Akhbardeh, F Vasefi, K Tavakolian. Combining Deep Learning and Fluorescence Imaging to Automatically Identify Fecal Contamination on Meat Carcasses. 12, Article number: 2392 (2022), Scientific Report, February 2022.
7. P. Dehkordi, E. P. Bauer, K. Tavakolian, Z. G Xiao, A. P. Blaber, F. Khosrow-Khavar, Detecting Coronary Artery Disease Using Rest Seismocardiography and Gyrocardiography, Frontiers in Physiology, Vol. 12, Page 2009, December 2021.
8. J. Chauvin, R Duran, K. Tavakolian, A. Akhbardeh, N. Mackinnon, J. Qin, D. Chan, C, Hwang, I. Baek, M. S. Kim, R. B. Isaacs, A. G. Yilmaz, J. Roungchun, R. S. Hellbrg and F. Vasefi. Simulated Annealing-Based Hyperspectral Data Optimization for Fish Species Classification: Can the Number of Measured Wavelengths Be Reduced? Appl. Sci. 2021, 11, 10628.
9. N. Rupert, S. Singhal, D. Sense, K. Tavakolian, S. Singhal. Association between arsenic level, gene expression in Asian population and in vitro carcinogenic bladder tumor. Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity. Jan 2020.
10. M. Sueker, K. Stromsodt, H. Taheri Gorji, F. Vasefi, N. Khan, T. Schmit, R. Varma, N. Mackinnon, S. Sokolov, A. Akhbardeh, B. Liang, J. Qin, D. E. Chan, I. Baek, M. S. Kim, K. Tavakolian. Handheld multispectral fluorescence imaging system to detect and disinfect surface contamination. Sensors. 2021; 21(21):7222.
11. M R Mohebbian, Seyed Shahim Vedaei, Khan A. Wahid, Member, Anh Dinh, Hamid Reza Marateb, K. Tavakolian. Fetal ECG Extraction from Maternal ECG using Attention-based CycleGAN. IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics, Accepted for publication, August 2021.
12. D. Xu, M. Trembley, A. Verma, K. Tavakolian, N. Goswami, A. Blaber. Cardio-postural interactions and muscle-pump baroreflex are severely impacted by 60-day Bedrest Immobilization. Scientific Reports. 10:12042, July 2020
13. P. Kheirkhah Dehkordi, K. Tavakolian, M. Jafari Tadi; V. Zakeri, F Khosrow-khavar. Investigating the Estimation of Cardiac Time Intervals Using Gyrocardiography. Institute of Physics, Journal of Physiological Measurement, 41(5), June 2020
14. V. Zakeri, K. Tavakolian, P. Dehkordi, F. Khosro-khavar. The repeatability of estimated systolic time intervals in healthy subjects using seismocardiogram and electrocardiogram. Institute of Physics, Journal of Physiological Measurement, 41(2), Vol. 41, March 2020
15. P. Dehkordi, EP Bauer, K. Tavakolian K, V. Zakeri, AP Blaber, F. Khosrow-Khavar. Identifying Patients with Coronary Artery Disease Using Rest and Exercise Seismocardiography. Frontier Physiology, vol 10, Sep 2019
16. A. K. Verma, P. N. Aarotale, P. Dehkordi, J. Lou, and K. Tavakolian. Effect of Ischemic Stroke on Pulse Rate Variability as a Surrogate of Heart Rate Variability during Orthostatic Challenge. Brain Sci. 2019;9(7):162. July 2019
17. A. K. Verma, D. Xu, A. Garg, A. P. Blaber, and K. Tavakolian. Effect of Aging on Muscle-Pump Baroreflex of Individual Leg Muscles during Standing. Frontiers in Physiology/Autonomic Neuroscience. Volume 10, July 2019
18. N. D. Wilson, B. Guragain, A. K. Verma, L. Archer, and K. Tavakolian. Blending Human and Machines: Feasibility of Measuring Fatigue through Aviation Headset. Human Factors. Human Factors, June 2019
19. C. Wang, B. Guragain, A. K. Verma, L Archer, S Majumder, A Mohamud, E Flaherty-Woods, G Shapiro, R Myers, M Almashir, M Lenne, J Kuo, S Yan, N Wilson, K. Tavakolian. Spectral Analysis of EEG during Microsleep Events Annotated via Driver Monitoring System to Characterize Drowsiness. IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 56, Issue 2, April 2020
20. A. K. Verma, D Xu, M Burner, A Garg, N Gwasami, A Blaber, K Tavakolian. Blood Pressure Regulation during 2-g Centrifugation at Feet is Analogous to Standing" Frontiers in Physiology, Vol 9, Article 712, June 25, 201
21. P. Dehkordi, F. Khosrow-khavar, M. Di-Rienzo, O. Inan, J Zanetti, V. Zakeri, S. Schmidt, K. Sorensen, M Borairi, K. Tavakolian. Comprehensive Multimodal Investigation of Cardiac Events Extracted from Dorsoventral Seismocardiogram: A Reproducibility and Repeatability Study” Frontiers in Physiology, Vol 10, August 2019
22. A. K. Verma, D. Xu, A. Garg, A. Cote, N. Goswami, A.P. Blaber, and K. Tavakolian. Non-linear Heart Rate and Blood Pressure Interaction in Response to Lower-Body Negative Pressure” Frontiers in Physiology, Vol. 8, Article 767, October 2017
23. A Verma, A Garg, D Xu, R Faze-Rezai, A.P. Blaber and K. Tavakolian. Skeletal Muscle Pump Drives Control of Cardiovascular and Postural Systems. Scientific Reports, Vol. 7, article 45301, March 2017.
24. MD. N. Alam, T. Tabassum, R. Fazel-Rezai and K. Tavakolian. Vertical Ground Reaction Force Marker for Parkinson's Disease” Plos One, May 2017
25. D. Xu, A. K. Verma, A. Garg, M. Bruner, R. Fazel-Rezai, A. P. Blaber, and K. Tavakolian. The significant role of the cardio-postural interaction in blood pressure regulation during standing”, Journal of Applied Physiology, pp: 568-577, June 2017
26. J Wahlstrm, I Skog, P Hendel, F Khosrow-khavar, K. Tavakolian, P Stein, A Nehorai. A Hidden Markov Model for Seismocardiography” IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, Vol 64, Issue 10, pp: 2361-2372, Oct 2017
27. V. Zakeri, A. Akhbardeh, N. Alamdari, R. Fazel-Rezai, M. Paukkunen, K. Tavakolian. Analyzing Seismocardiogram Cycles to Identify the Respiratory Phases. IEEE Transaction on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 64 issue 8, June 2017
28. A. Laurin, F. Khosrow-khavar, A. Blaber, K. Tavakolian. Accurate and consistent automatic seismocardiogram annotation without concurrent ECG. Physiological Measurement, Institute of Physics, Vol. 37, pp. 1588-1604, July 2016
29. F. Khosrow-khavar, K. Tavakolian, C. Menon. Automatic and Robust Segmentation of Seismocardiogram for Noninvasive Estimation of Cardiac Time Intervals. IEEE Transaction in Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 64, No. 8, August 2017
30. F. Akhbardeh, F. Vasefi, N.B. McKinnon, K. Tavakolian, R. Fazel-Rezaei, “Toward Hand Arthritis Diagnostics Using Smart Phones: Camera Distortion Effect Correction” ASME. J. Med. Devices. September 2016; 10(3): 030955
31. A. K. Verma, A. Garg, A. Blaber and K. Tavakolian “Causal Cardio-Postural Interaction under Orthostatic Stress” ASME. J. Med. Devices. June 2016; 10(2): 020932
32. K. Tavakolian. Systolic Time Intervals and New Measurement Methods. Cardiovascular Engineering and Technology, Springer, June 2016, Volume 7, Issue 2, pp 118–125
33. N. Alamdari, K. Tavakolian, V. Zakeri, R. Fazel-Rezai, and A. Akhbardeh “Fusion of Electrocardiogram and Accelerocardiogram Derived Respiration Methods for Estimation of Respiratory Phases” ASME. J. Med. Devices. June 2016; 10(2): 020928
34. F. Khosrow-khavar, K. Tavakolian, A. Blaber, R. Fazel-Rezai, J. M. Zanetti and C. Menon. Automatic Annotation of Seismocardiogram with Higher Frequency Precordial Accelerations. IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 1428-1434, July 2015
35. A. K. Verma, R. Fazel-Rezai, J. M. Zanetti, K. Tavakolian. Preliminary Results for Estimating Pulse Transit Time Using Seismocardiogram. ASME Journal of Medical Devices, Vol 9, Issue 2, 2015
36. A. Haider, K. Tavakolian, and R. Fazel-Rezai. Performance Evaluation of Heartbeat Classification Methods based on Morphological Descriptors. ASME Journal of Medical Devices, Vol9. Issue 2, 2015
37. O.T. Inan, P. F. Migeotte, K. S. Park, M. Etemadi, K. Tavakolian, R. Casanella, J. Zanetti, J. Tank, I. Funtova, G. K. Prisk, M. DiRienzo. Ballistocardiography and Seismocardiography: A Review of Recent Advances. IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 1414-1427, July 2015
38. K. Tavakolian, G. Houlton, G.A. Dumont, A.P. Blaber. Precordial vibrations provide noninvasive detection of early-stage hemorrhage. Journal of Shock, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Vol. 41, No. 2, pp. 91:96, Feb 2014
39. P.K. Dehkordi, K. Tavakolian, M. Marzencki, M. Kaminska, B. Kaminska. Assessment of Respiratory Flow and Efforts Using Upper-Body Accelerations Considering the Sleep Apnea Syndrome. Medical & Biological Engineering & Computing, Springer, Vol. 52, No. 8, 653-661, 2014
40. M. Marzencki, B. Kajbafzadeh, F. Khosrow-khavar, K. Tavakolian, M. Soleimani-Nouri, J. Hamburger, B. Kaminska and C. Menon. Low-Frequency Mechanical Actuation Accelerates Reperfusion In-Vitro. BioMedical Engineering OnLine, 12:121, 2014
41. M. Marzencki, B. Kajbafzadeh, F. Khosrow-khavar, K. Tavakolian, B. Kaminska, and C. Menon. Diastolic Timed Vibrator: Noninvasive Pre-Hospitalization Treatment of Acute Coronary Ischemia. IEEE Transaction on Biomedical Circuits and Systems, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 313:324, June 2014
42. K. Tavakolian, F. Khosrow-Khavar, M. Marzencki, B. Kajbafzadeh, A. P. Blaber, B. Kaminska, C. Menon. Precordial acceleration signals improve the performance of diastolic timed vibrations. Medical Engineering & Physics, Elsevier, S1350-4533(12)00316-5, January 2013
43. V. Gurev, K. Tavakolian, J. Constantino, B. Kaminska, A. P. Blaber, N. A. Trayanova. Mechanisms Underlying the Isovolumic and Ejection Peaks in Seismocardiogram Morphology. Journal of Medical and Biological Engineering, May 2011, 32(2):103-110
44. Y. Chuo, M. Marzencki, B. Hung, C. Jaggernauth, K. Tavakolian, P. Lin, and B. Kaminska. Mechanically Flexible Wireless Multisensor Platform for Human Physical Activity and Vitals Monitoring. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Circuits and Systems, Oct 2010, pp 281-29
45. M. Marzencki, K. Tavakolian, Y. Chuo, B. Hung, P. Lin, and B. Kaminska. Miniature Wearable Wireless Real-time Health and Activity Monitoring System with Optimized Power Consumption. Journal of Medical and Biological Engineering, 30(4): 227-235, May 2010
46. Y. Chuo, K. Tavakolian, and B. Kaminska. Evaluation of a novel integrated sensor system for synchronous measurement of cardiac vibrations and cardiac potentials. Journal of Medical Systems, Springer, 34(4): 445-455, Oct 2009
47. K. Tavakolian, A.Vaseghi, B. Kaminska. Improvement of Ballistocardiogram Processing by the Inclusion of Respiration Information. Journal of Physiological Measurement, Institute of Physics, 29 (2008) 771-781
48. S. Rezaei, K. Tavakolian, A. M. Nasrabadi, K. Setarehdan. Different Classification Techniques Considering Brain-Computer Interface Applications. Institute of Physics (IOP), Journal of Neural Engineering 3 (2006) 139-144
49. K. Tavakolian, F. M. Zadeh, Y. Chuo, Ali Vaseghi, Bozena Kaminska. Development of a Novel Contactless Mechanocardiograph Device. Journal of Telemedicine and Applications, vol. 2008, Article ID 436870, 2008
50. F. Khosrow-khavar, M. Marzencki, K. Tavakolian, B. Kaminska and Carlo Menon. Diastolic Timed Vibrator: Applying Direct Vibration in Diastole to Patients with Acute Coronary Ischemia During the Pre-Hospitalization Phase, Lecture Notes in Computer Science pp.355-365, July 2011
51. K. Tavakolian, S. Rezaei, A.M. Nasrabadi “Classification of Different Mental Tasks Using Neural Network” WSEAS Transactions on Electronics pages: 343-347, Issue2, Volume1, April 2004.
Professional Engineering, British Columbia, Canada
Dean's Research Professor, College of Engineering and Mines, UND
Senior IEEE member, Member since the year 2000 and the young affinity chair of red river valley section.
Ph.D. Engineering Science, 2010
Simon Fraser University, British Columbia, Canada
M.Sc. Computer Science, 2005
University of Northern British Columbia, Canada
M.Sc. Electrical Engineering, 2003
University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
B.Sc. Biomedical Engineering, 2000
Amirkabir University of Technology (Tehran Polytechnic), Tehran, Iran