- Assistant Professor, College of Engineering & Mines
- Email: pantea.tavakolian@UND.edu
242 Centennial Dr stop 8155
Grand Forks ND 58202-8155
Pantea Tavakolian is a biomedical engineering scientist with extensive experience developing medical imaging systems (photoacoustic, thermal imaging modalities) and data analysis. She was a research fellow at Harvard Medical School and Massachusetts General Hospital, exploring the development of thermophotonic sensors for detecting inflammation in the intestine. Before joining Harvard Medical School, she was a postdoctoral fellow at the University of Toronto and a scientific manager at the Center for Advanced Diffusion-Wave and Photoacoustic Technologies for two and half years. She received her Ph.D. in 2019 from the University of Toronto. She developed a 3D thermal imaging system for non-destructive testing of industrial materials, early detection of carious regions in dental samples, and early detection of tumors in mice. She is an enthusiastic scientist with a research interest in medical imaging, image and signal processing, and machine learning. Pantea is currently a faculty in the Biomedical Engineering program at the University of North Dakota.
Introduction to Biomedical Engineering
Biophotonics, thermal imaging, medical imaging, image and signal processing, and Machine Learning (ML)
- Welch, R., Sivagurunathan, K., Tavakolian, P., Mandelis, A. “Three-dimensional thermophotonic image optimization modalities of truncated correlation photothermal coherence tomography” J. of Biophotonics, 15 (7), e202200018 (2022).
- Thapa D., Welch R., Dabas R.P., Salimi M., Tavakolian P., Sivagurunathan K., Ngai K., Huang B., Finer Y., Abrams S., Mandelis A., and Tabatabaei, N. “Comparison of Long-Wave and Mid-Wave Infrared Imaging Modalities for Photothermal Coherence Tomography of Human Teeth” IEEE Transaction of Biomedical Engineering (2022).
- Risheh A., Tavakolian P., Mandelis, A., “Infrared Computer vision in non-destructive imaging: Sharp delineation of subsurface defect boundaries in enhanced truncated correlation photothermal coherence tomography images using K-means clustering” J. of NDT & E International, 125, 102568 (2022).
- Roointan S., Tavakolian P., Sivagurunathan K., Mandelis A., Abrams S.H., “Detection and Monitoring of Controlled Dental Caries and Erosion Using Three-Dimensional enhanced Truncated Correlation Photothermal Coherence Tomography (eTC-PCT) Imaging, J. of Biomedical Optics, 26(4), 046004 (2021).
- Pantea Tavakolian, Sohrab Roointan, Andreas Mandelis ‘Non-Invasive In-Vivo 3-D Imaging of Small Animals Using Spatially Filtered Enhanced Truncated-Correlation Photothermal Coherence Tomography’ Scientific Reports, 13743,10 (2020).
- Pantea Tavakolian, Roointan S., Sivagurunathan K., Mandelis A., “3D Thermophotonic Imaging Informs Biomedicine,” BioPhotonics Magazine Page: 28-33, (Sep/Oct 2020).
- Pantea Tavakolian, Elnaz B. Shokouhi, Stefano Sfarra, Gianfranco Gargiulo, Andreas Mandelis, ‘Non-destructive Imaging of Ancient Marquetries using Enhanced Truncated-Correlation Photothermal Coherence Tomography’ of Cultural Heritage, 1296-2074, Pages:1-6 (2020).
- Pantea Tavakolian, Sohrab Roointan, Koneswaran Sivagurunathan, Marie Floryan, Andreas Mandelis, Stephen Abrams, “3D Dental Subsurface Imaging Using Enhanced Truncated-Correlation Photothermal Coherence Tomography,” Scientific Report 9, 16788(2019).
- Pantea Tavakolian, Hai Zhang, Andreas Mandelis, Wei Shi, Fei-Fei Liu, “Truncated-correlation photothermal coherence tomography derivative imaging modality for small animal in vivo early tumor detection” Optics letters, 44(3), pp. 675-678 (2019).
- Pantea Tavakolian, Stefano Sfarra, Koneswaran Sivagurunathan, and Andreas Mandelis, “Photothermal coherence tomography for 3-D visualization and structural non-destructive imaging of a wood inlay” Journal of Infrared Physics, 91(2018), 206-213.
- Pantea Tavakolian, Andreas Mandelis, “Perspective: Principles and Specifications of Photothermal Imaging Methodologies and Their Applications to Non-Invasive Biomedical and Non-Destructive Materials Imaging,” Journal of Applied Physics, 124, 160903 (2018).
- Pantea Tavakolian, Koneswaran Sivagurunathan, and Andreas Mandelis, “Enhanced truncated-correlation photothermal coherence tomography with application to deep subsurface defect imaging and 3-dimensional reconstructions” Journal of Applied Physics, 122(2),023103 (2017).
Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Toronto (2019)