Assistant Professor of Law, School of Law
- Energy Law and Policy | Oil & Gas Law | International Business Transactions | International Petroleum Transactions
Dr. Tade Oyewunmi joined the University of North Dakota (UND) School of Law in July 2022 as an Assistant Professor of Law. His scholarly and research interests involve examining the role of law and institutions in developing energy and natural resources, including the economic regulation of natural gas and electricity markets. He teaches Oil and Gas Law, Property, Energy & Mining Law, and International Business Transactions, and serves as Director of the Energy, Environment, and Natural Resources Certificate program.
Before joining UND, he was a Visiting Assistant Professor at the University of Oregon School of Law where he taught courses in (a) Air Pollution and the Environment, (b) Energy and International Transactions; (c) Sustainable Business Law, and (d) International Business Transactions (LL.M). He was also an Assistant Professor and Senior Energy Research Fellow at Vermont Law School where he taught oil and gas development and the environment as well as energy law and policy in a carbon-constrained world. Professor Oyewunmi has led or engaged in several research projects and publications such as the handbook on Decarbonisation and the Energy Industry, Hart Publishing (2020), and authoring the book Regulating Gas Supply to Power Markets: Transnational Approaches to Competitiveness and Security of Supply (Wolters Kluwer International, 2018). He was a Visiting Scholar at the University of Houston Law Center; and Tulane University Law School, LA.
Professor Oyewunmi is an Associate Editor of the Oil, Gas & Energy Law Intelligence (OGEL) Journal, a Review Editor on the Editorial Board of Climate Law and Policy Journal, and an Associate Member of the Institute for Energy Law at the Center for American and International Law where he currently serves as the Vice Chair of the Academic Outreach Committee. Before entering academia, Professor Oyewunmi was a Senior Counsel in the Energy & Project Finance Group of a leading international commercial law firm based in Lagos, Nigeria.
Professor Oyewunmi earned his Doctor of Laws (LL.D) with Distinction, specializing in International Energy Law and Policy at the University of Eastern Finland (UEF) School of Law, Finland. He received his LL.M in Oil and Gas Law at the University of Aberdeen, Scotland, UK, and his Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) from the University of Ibadan, Nigeria.
- Oil and Gas Law
- Energy and Mining Law
- Property Law
- International Petroleum Transactions
- International Busines Transactions
- Natural Resources Law
- Air Pollution Law and Regulation
- Energy and natural resources law, regulation, and policy for
- Energy market reforms and restructuring
- Regulation of network-bound industries
- Corporate Governance
- Gas supply to power markets
- Energy and International Investment Law
- International Energy Law and Policy
- Economic approaches to law and regulation
- Universal energy access and economic development
- Alternative Dispute resolution
- Energy security and reliability
- Equity and regulatory issues in energy transitions and decarbonization
- Applied and Interdisciplinary Research
Recent awards include-
- Gerald W. VandeWalle Energy Law Faculty Award- 2022/2023
- David & Mary Maring Energy Law Faculty Award- 2022/2023
- Tom & Frances Leach Foundation Energy Law Faculty Award- 2022/2023