International students do not qualify for most traditional types of financial aid; however, there are a few opportunities for support.
Undergraduate International Student Tuition Waiver
- Student must have completed two semesters as a full-time student (a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester) on campus at the University of North Dakota, seeking his/her first undergraduate degree.
- Exchange student status does not count toward meeting this requirement, for example: Bilateral Exchanges programs, Eurasian Undergraduate Exchange Program.
- Submit Activities Form(s) for a minimum of 10 volunteer/service hours per semester.
- The student must be a F-1, J-1 or legal non-immigrant status student in valid status with the Department of Homeland Security.
- A minimum institutional cumulative grade point average of 2.75.
- The student must maintain full-time enrollment and reapply each year. The maximum length of time any student may receive the tuition waiver may not exceed eight semesters.
What counts as volunteer or service hours?
Students can either choose one activity from Group 1 or three activities from Group 2. In order to maintain the International Tuition Waiver students will need to submit the Activities Form(s) to the Student Financial Aid Office by the dates listed below.
Group 1: (Select one) Feast of Nations, Welcome Weekend, Homecoming activities, etc.
Group 2: (Select three activities) Cultural Nights, church activities, hospitals/nursing home activities, community cultural presentation, or non-profit organization activities, etc.
The Activities Forms are due to the Student Financial Aid Office by the following deadlines:
- Fall Semester: Reading and Review Day
- Spring Semester: April 1st
Application deadline is April 1 .
Applications must be complete by the application deadline to be considered. Financial information and appropriate documents must be included for the application to be considered complete.
Please note that the amount of the waiver may vary depending on strength of applicant's application (criteria met).
Apply for the Tuition Waiver
The application is completed through a dynamic form. Please view the dynamic form instructions for assistance.
Please note: All dates on the form must be entered in the following format: MM/DD/YYYY
Summer Tuition Waiver
- Students can request summer funding if funds are available.
- Summer funding is not included in the eight semester calculation.
Contact Christina Johnston for details, 701-777-4794 or email email@example.com.
|Service Hours Per Semester||Cumulative Institutional GPA|
|2.75 - 2.99||3.00 - 3.49||3.50 - 3.79||3.80 - 4.00|
|10 - 15 Hours||25%||50%||75%||75%|
|16 - 20 Hours||25%||75%||75%||100%|
|20 + Hours||50%||75%||75%||100%|
**These are not guaranteed, but are pending availability of funds and meeting the criteria under Eligibility Information above.
eduPASS: Information for International Students
Global SLC International Student Loan
This loan is for international students from India (other countries of origin in the future) enrolled in a U.S. college. You are not required to have a U.S. Citizen as a co-signer, but must have a co-signer in India. The interest rate is variable.
Funds may cover tuition, books, room and board, and other education-related expenses. The maximum annual loan amount is $50,000 USD and maximum lifetime amount is $200,000 USD. Annual amounts are limited by the school's determination of a student's "cost of attendance." This cost of attendance is based on average amounts for tuition/fees, books and living expenses. Individual student unusual expenses may also be considered.
Funds will be disbursed to the school in U.S. dollars and credited by the school to your account at the school and used only to pay your education-related expenses as certified by the school during the certification process. The school's normal "refund policy" may be used in cases where there are funds remaining after school defined "debits" have been paid.
For more information and application: www.globalslc.com.
Canadian Higher Education Loan Fund
This loan is for Canadian citizens and is open to undergraduate and graduate students. The minimum loan is $2000 USD and the interest rate is variable.
For information and application: call 1-888-296-4332 or visit www.iefc.com.