Searching for Scholarships
You can use free Internet scholarship search engines to find scholarships. Some of the larger search engines include:
The 2017-18 application is closed.
Scholarships & Waivers
Scholarships are monetary gifts, which means you don’t need to repay them or earn the funds by working. Waivers are similar to scholarships in that they’re used to offset college expenses and don’t need to be paid back. You’ll find plenty of scholarships and waivers based on your financial need, academic success and other factors.
Keep in mind that scholarships are considered part of your financial aid package, which means that they may replace some or all of your financial aid eligibility. For example, if you’re offered $1,000 in government loans after filing your FAFSA, and are later awarded a $200 scholarship, your loan offer may be reduced to $800. In general, the combination of all awards cannot exceed your financial aid need. If it does, need-based aid must be adjusted, usually through reducing loans or work-study funds. If financial aid has already been credited to you, you may owe UND for the amount that exceeds your need.
Scholarships are available through a variety of sources — UND, the federal government, the state of North Dakota and outside organizations.
The University of North Dakota awards more than 2,000 scholarships to qualified students annually. Learn more about undergraduate scholarships.
UND awards many scholarships to students enrolled in the School of Graduate Studies. Learn more about these scholarships.
UND Employee, Spouse and Dependent Tuition Waiver
Employees and their family members are eligible for tuition waivers. Additional information is available through UND Human Resources.
Graduate Assistantships (GAs)
Graduate Assistantships (GAs) are outstanding ways to earn additional funds and obtain valuable experience while completing your degree in the UND School of Graduate Studies. Learn more about graduate assistantships.
Law Student Scholarships
The University awards many scholarships to students enrolled in the UND School of Law. Learn more about these scholarships.
Medical Student Scholarships
The University awards many scholarships to students attending the UND School of Medicine & Health Sciences. Learn more about these scholarships.
UND Academic Department Scholarships
- Civil Engineering
- College of Business & Public Administration
- College of Education & Human Development
- College of Engineering & Mines
- Communication Sciences & Disorders
- Department of Aviation
- Department of Communications
- Department of Nutrition & Dietetics
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Modern & Classical Languages & Literatures
- Harold Hamm School of Geology & Geological Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Multicultural Programs & Services
- Music Department
- Nursing & Professional Disciplines
- Office of Extended Learning
- Petroleum Engineering
- Reserve Officer Training Course (ROTC)
- Scholarship Central (UND Scholarship Database)
The State of North Dakota provides many scholarships to high-achieving North Dakota students, including:
Organizations that aren’t affiliated with the University can also be a great source of funding for your education. Ask your school counselor about awards for graduating seniors.
You may also find scholarships or other forms of financial assistance through:
- Your place of worship or other religious communities
- Local branches of organizations such as the Rotary Club or Kiwanis
- Other organizations, such as Army ROTC, Bureau of Indian Affairs, and North Dakota National Guard
- Your parents’ employers
- Your employer
UND also provides information about various outside scholarship programs.