Blackboard Course Analytics and Course Reports
Blackboard has built-in reports that instructors can run to view information about course usage and activity. You can view summaries of course usage such as which course areas are used most frequently and course access patterns for specific students. These are called Course Reports.
UND has also purchased an additional analytics product called Analytics for Learn. These reports combine extensive data from Blackboard with student and course attributes from our student information system (Campus Connection) to create comprehensive reports and dashboards for our students, instructors, staff, and leadership.
To access both of these sets of reports, go to your course Control Panel and select the Evaluation option.
Here is a summary of the reports that are available to instructors.
Blackboard Course Analytics
- Course At-a-Glance
This report compares the course that you are logged into against other courses in the same department. It compares interactions, submissions, and time in course compared to similar courses in your department.
- Activity and Grade Scatter Plot
This report plots the distribution of student activity against their grades in this course.
- Activity Matrix
This report shows a visual representation of student activity in the course. This report compares each student's number of submissions to the average across all students in that course. The report includes a graph of submission trends over the entire term, number of submissions, the average number of submissions in the course, days since the student's last submission, and the last submission type.
- Course Submission Summary
This report shows a summary of user submissions for this course. Submission information for each student including assignments, tests, surveys, and graded discussions, blogs, journals and wikis.
Blackboard Course Reports
- All User Activity inside Content Areas displays a summary of all user activity inside content areas for a course. Use this report to determine which students are active in your course and which content areas they use.
- Course Activity Overview displays overall activity within a single course, sorted by student and date. Data includes the total and average time spent per active student and the total amount and type of activity each student had in the course. Optionally, you can filter the report by one or more groups. Only students who are members of the selected groups are included in report results.
- Course Coverage Report displays data on course items that have been aligned to goals.
- Course Performance displays how a single course performs against a selected set of goals.
- Overall Summary of User Activity displays user activity for all areas of your course, as well as activity dates, times, and days of the week. Use this report to view student access as well as how often course tools are used.
- Single Course User Participation Report displays the number of user submissions in your course for assignments, tests, discussions, blogs, and journals within the chosen time frame. You don't need to grade an item for data to be included in the report. The data is provided in a Microsoft® Excel® spreadsheet (XLS).
- Student Overview for Single Course displays an individual student's activity within your course, sorted by date. Data includes the total overall time a student spent in your course. You can view detailed information about a student's activity, such as which items and content areas a student accessed and the time spent on each. Use this report to check a certain student's course activity.
- User Activity in Forums displays a summary of user activity in discussion forums in your course.
- User Activity in Groups displays a summary of user activity in groups for your course.