Immerse yourself in the practice of chemistry and prepare for a career at the forefront of contemporary research.
The principles of chemistry underlie some of today’s most exciting breakthroughs in everything from applied physics and biotechnology to medicine. As a Ph.D. candidate in Chemistry at UND, you’ll complete a major research project and make original contributions to the field.
- Program type:
- Doctoral Degree
- Est. time to complete:
- 4.5 years
- Credit hours:
Why Study Chemistry at UND?
Chemists play an increasingly important role in advancing scientific knowledge and breaking new ground. The Ph.D. program at UND combines hands-on laboratory research and classroom instruction to distinguish you as independent thinker, capable of making original contributions to the field. You'll graduate with the ability to:
- Design and interpret experiments using logic and critical-thinking skills.
- Communicate effectively in writing and in oral presentations on technical topics.
- Conduct research in traditional disciplines as well as in a variety of interfacial areas, including nanotechnology, renewable materials, polymerization catalysis, organoanalytical, organometallic and applied theoretical chemistry.
As a Ph.D. Chemistry student, you'll complete a major research project that makes significant contributions to the field of chemistry.
Contribute to your field of study through focused research in chemical synthesis, analysis and application, or theory
Present your research at national and international conferences.
Receive financial support through a teaching assistantship.
Enjoy access to state-of-the-art instrumentation.
A Ph.D. in Chemistry gives you skills and qualifications to teach and do research at the college level. UND Chemistry graduates go on to a variety of dynamic careers in industry, government and scientific research.
UND Chemistry Alumni
Chemistry alumni have gone on to a variety of successful careers with:
- University of Minnesota
- Corning, Inc.
- Purdue University
- University of North Carolina
- United States Department of the Navy