Study the different ways people communicate, so you can prepare for leadership roles across the globe.
Communication plays a fundamental role in our global society and it is imperative for us to recognize and appreciate the international and intercultural contexts in which it occurs. With a Ph.D. in Communication from UND, you'll learn about human communication across diverse cultures and through multiple systems.
- Program type:
- Doctoral Degree
- Est. time to complete:
- 3-5 years
- Credit hours:
Why Study Communication at UND?
Understanding the different ways people communicate around the world will help you address socially and globally pressing communication challenges. The communication doctoral program at UND provides you with knowledge and skills that will set you apart as a leader in international and intercultural communication.
Through the program, you'll work hand-in-hand with researching faculty recognized for their work in:
- Interpersonal and persuasive communication
- Risk and crisis communication
- New media and cyberculture
- Strategic communication in digital and social media environments
Learn from faculty researchers who actively collaborate to empower students through a community of scholarship:
- Pamela Kalbfleish: specialties - interpersonal and persuasive communication, mentoring and social support, health communication
- Soojung Kim: specialties - international/intercultural strategic communication, marketing communication in digital and social media environment
- Joonghwa Lee: specialties - interactive and non-traditional media in strategic communication, social media strategies, integrated marketing communications, consumer behavior, brand-consumer relationship
- Timothy Pasch: specialties - new media and cyberculture, cultural heritage informatics, computer-mediated communication, portal creation and multitouch interfaces
- Brad Serber: specialties - rhetoric, violence, abnormality, civic and community engagement
- Xun Zhu: specialties - multilevel influence in social networks, social diffusion, risk amplification, unmanned aerial systems
You'll be a communications expert, prepared to teach at the college level or find a career in a media-related field as a researcher, consultant or policy maker.