Online School Counseling Certificate
Earn you K-12 school counseling certificate online at UND.
*Note, this information is specific to the Educators Track*. If you are interested in learning more about the Re-Specialization Track, please visit this link.
Synchronous classes are held in real-time. If you’re the kind of learner who likes active discussion and immediate feedback through live interaction, you’ll enjoy this online course format.
Every class is different, but generally, you’ll log into a virtual classroom at scheduled times to:
- Listen to a lecture
- Ask questions
- Participate in class discussions
- Conduct group activities
- Participate in video sharing
- Have chat conversations
- Use interactive whiteboards
- Take live polls
You should prepare for your classes by finishing any assigned readings, compiling questions for your instructor, and thinking about how to contribute to the next live class.
While the majority of your courses are offered online, you’ll come to campus to complete portions of the program. Here, you’ll extend and apply the knowledge you’ve learned online through hands-on activities. Our students find tremendous value in having the opportunity to personally interact with their instructors and fellow students.
During both summer semesters of your online program, you'll attend two 4-day sessions on the UND campus in Grand Forks (a total of four visits). Typically, the on campus visits are scheduled from Wednesday through Saturday during the third week of June and July.
Local Practicum and Internship
You'll be required to participate in a 1-semester, supervised school counseling practicum (150 hours) and a 2-semester internship (450* to 600 hours) in a K-12 school setting, as available in or near your local community. You must be supervised by a licensed school counselor.
*with a teacher's license
Leaders in Online Education
No matter how you customize your online experience, you’ll get the same top-quality education as any other on-campus student.
- Same degree. All online programs are fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC). Your transcript and diploma are exactly the same as our on-campus students.
- Same classes. You’ll take courses from UND professors, start and end the semesters at the same time and take the same classes as a student on campus.
- Real interaction. You can ask questions, get feedback and regularly connect with your professors, peers and professionals in the field.
- Your own academic advisor. As an invaluable go-to, they’re focused on you, your personal success and your future career.
- Free online tutoring. We're here to help you one-on-one at no cost. Plus, get access to a variety of self-help online study resources.
- Unlimited academic coaching. Need support to achieve your academic goals or feeling stumped by a tough course? We'll help with everything from stress and time management to improving your memory to achieve higher test scores.
- Full online access. Dig into virtual research from the Chester Fritz Library. Improve your writing skills with online help from the UND Writing Center. Get online access to career services, veteran and military services, financial services and more.
- 24/7 technical support. UND provides free computer, email and other technical support for all online students.
Best Online Colleges
Reportedly high alumni salaries and job placement rates, coupled with affordable online tuition rates make UND a best-value university for online education. UND's breadth of online programs rivals all other non-profit universities in the upper Midwest making UND one of the best online schools in the region.
UND ranks among the best online colleges in the nation for:
- Student satisfaction (retention rate)
- Academic quality (4-year graduate rate)
- Student outcomes (20-year return on investment per Paysacle.com)