Earth System Science and Policy (M.E.M.)
Create new solutions for human-driven Earth system and sustainability challenges by mastering advanced technology, environmental policy, and resource economics while simultaneously developing advanced quantitative skills and transferable professional skills.
The Earth is comprised of complex and interconnected systems. Those with the technical skills and expertise to address today's environmental and sustainability challenges with this holistic view will have the greatest impact on positive and sustainable change. This program is geared towards those with a strong background in environmental and sustainability science, and environmental policy by providing advanced quantitative and analytical knowledge, integrated geospatial technology skills, and a breath of professional component that includes business, economics, and communication.
- Program type:
- Master's Degree
- On-campus or online
- Est. time to complete:
- 2 years
- Credit hours:
Why Study Earth System Science and Policy at UND?
The many systems that make up Earth are experiencing extraordinary changes. The program offer an interdisciplinary-oriented education required by professionals who are working towards a sustainable management of Earth's systems and resources. It prepares you to be a part of the next generation of leaders that will help society navigate through this change and solve pressing sustainability problems.
With this UND graduate program, you'll have opportunities to:
- Implement your knowledge for practical applications, especially through a successful internship/applied project experience.
- Prepare, or progress in your career path with a broad set of skills and strong knowledge of environmental policy and environmental and resource economics, combined with a professional component that includes quantitative reasoning and analytics, project management, business, and communication.
- Master cutting edge technology to help address changes occurring in areas such as land and water resources, environmental and natural economics, environmental science and policy, and more.
The M.E.M is a Professional Master's Degree Program (PSM) designed for those seeking a workplace-oriented non-thesis master's degree, and is particularly suited for those who are working professionals interested in expanding their knowledge based, critical thinking ability, and technical skill.
Through a successful internship/applied project, gain the knowledge and skills to prepare for, or expand on, a career in Earth system and sustainability science.
Have a direct influence in driving concepts for major international scientific and environmental policy efforts.
The curriculum bridges theory with practice, global and local perspectives, and scientific, social and professional disciplines.
Median salary range for an environmental scientist and specialist*
Projected growth for the employment of earth scientists through 2026, faster than the average for all occupations*
Environmental experts will be at the forefront of today's biggest climate change and sustainability issues. The technical expertise will continue to be in high demand in a broad range of industries and professions.
UND graduates can expect exciting opportunities to do field studies, research, policy setting, and other important work for top companies in a wide variety of industries and fields, including:
- Environmental and geospatial consultant
- Environmental project manager
- City sustainability coordinator
- Governmental agency careers (EPA, NOAA, DOI, ect.)
- Non-governmental Organizations (The Nature Conservance, etc.)
- Land management
- Waste management and remediation
- Alternative energy
When You Earn a degree in Earth System Science & Policy
An Earth System Science & Policy degree gives you the strategic skills you need, including:
- Geographic Information Systems
- Environmental Science
- ArcGIS (GIS Software)
- Remote Sensing
- Spatial Analysis
- Environmental Policy
- Quantitative Analysis
- Data analytic
- Professional skills
UND Earth System Science & Policy Alumni
Earth System Science and Policy alumni have gone on to a variety of successful careers with:
- Advanced Engineering & Environmental Services, Inc.
- E M U Office of Research Development
- International Water Institute
- Dewberry Consultants, Inc.
- Environmental Communication Options