Earth System Science and Policy (M.E.M.)
Create new solutions for human-driven Earth system and sustainability challenges by mastering advanced technology, environmental policy, and resource economics.
The Earth is comprised of complex and interconnected systems. Those with the technical skills and expertise to address today’s environmental and sustainability challenges with this holistic view will have the greatest impact on positive and sustainable change. This UND program offers opportunities to gain professional experience by applying particular learned skill sets needed for development of a desired career path.
- Program type:
- Master's Degree
- Est. time to complete:
- 2 years
- Credit hours:
Why Study Earth System Science and Policy at UND?
The many systems that make up Earth are experiencing extraordinary changes. The program prepares you to be a part of the next generation of leaders that will help society navigate through this change and solve pressing sustainability problems.
With this UND graduate program, you'll have opportunities to:
- Implement your knowledge for practical applications, especially through a successful internship experience.
- Prepare your career path with a broad set of skills and strong knowledge of environmental policy, as well as environmental and resource economics.
- Mastering cutting edge technology to help address changes occurring in areas such as land and water resources, environmental and natural economics, environmental science and policy, and more.
Through a successful internship, gain the knowledge and skills to prepare for a career in Earth system and sustainability science.
Have a direct influence in driving concepts for major international scientific and environmental policy efforts.
The curriculum bridges theory with practice, global and local perspectives, and scientific and social disciplines.
Environmental experts will be at the forefront of today's biggest climate change and sustainability issues. The technical expertise will continue to be in high demand in a broad range of industries and professions.
UND graduates can expect exciting opportunities to do field studies, research, policy setting, and other important work for top companies in a wide variety of industries and fields, including:
- Environmental and geospatial consultant
- Environmental project manager
- City sustainability coordinator
- Governmental agency careers (EPA, NOAA, DOI, ect.)
- Non-governmental Organizations (The Nature Conservance, etc.)
- Land management
- Waste management and remediation
- Alternative energy
When You Earn a degree in Earth System Science & Policy
An Earth System Science & Policy degree gives you the strategic skills you need, including:
- Geographic Information Systems
- Environmental Science
- ArcGIS (GIS Software)
- Remote Sensing
- Spatial Analysis
- Environmental Policy
UND Earth System Science & Policy Alumni
Earth System Science and Policy alumni have gone on to a variety of successful careers with:
- Advanced Engineering & Environmental Services, Inc.
- E M U Office of Research Development
- International Water Institute
- Dewberry Consultants, Inc.
- Environmental Communication Options