Educational Studies (M.S.)
Develop research skills and learn the foundational ideas to prepare for a dynamic career in the diverse field of education.
Develop research expertise to examine educational issues from the interdisciplinary perspectives of history, sociology, anthropology and psychology in order to develop practical solutions to today’s educational challenges. With an M.S. in Educational Studies from UND, you will become an informed leader, reflective practitioner and successful communicator well suited for schools, higher education, industry and education doctoral programs.
- Program type:
- Master's Degree
- Est. time to complete:
- 2-3 years
- Credit hours:
Why Study Educational Studies at UND?
The M.S. in Educational Studies offers an advanced social sciences and humanities education paired with robust training in research.
In this program you will:
- Study historical, psychological, sociological and anthropological perspectives underpinning education
- Acquire research skills in quantitative and qualitative research methods
- Actively participate in a community of scholarship
- Study current issues and trends in education practice and assessment
- Focus on social justice to develop a critical voice on impactful education topics
- Prepare yourself for advanced doctoral programs in education
The program culminates with a scholarly project, independent study or thesis.
Ready to Lead
At UND, students are prepared to guide and motivate the next generation of leaders.
Enjoy flexibility in choosing research topics, customize your program of study and take elective courses from across the university.
Develop your enthusiasm for inquiry and join a community of scholars that positions you as a top applicant for doctoral programs in education.
Set a path for lifelong learning essential for intellectual curiosity, personal fulfillment and social responsibility through an advanced education in the social sciences and humanities.
Earn a Graduate Certificate in Learning Analytics, a signal to employers that you have particularly in-demand skills.
Attend class on a schedule that accommodates working professionals, including evening classes and online offerings.
The demand for education professionals with advanced degrees is growing nationwide across a variety of industries. An M.S. in Educational Studies prepares you for rewarding careers in settings such as:
- Research analysis
- Higher education
- Administrative positions in higher education or P-12 schools
- Education consulting
- Federal and state agencies
- Nongovernmental organizations
- Non-formal education organizations, such as museums and community programs
- Curricular and program evaluation
When You Earn a degree in Educational Studies
An Educational Studies degree gives you the strategic skills you need, including:
- Curriculum Development
- Event Planning
- Qualitative Research
- Strategic Planning
- Grant Writing
- Software Development Life Cycle
UND Educational Studies Alumni
Educational Studies alumni have gone on to a variety of successful careers with:
- Grand Forks Public Schools
- Blake High School
- African Arts Arena
- Bismarck Public Schools
- E W, Inc.