Online Electrical Engineering Ph.D.
Earn your Ph.D. in electrical engineering online from UND.
You can earn your doctoral degree in engineering from the University of North Dakota while you continue to live and work in your own community. Your transcript and diploma will look the same as for a student who graduated from UND by taking traditional on-campus courses.
You’ll receive the convenience of online learning with the personal contact and connection of being with faculty and classmates through online tools.
For students completing the program by online delivery, a minimum of three campus visits are required and you'll need to make a presentation during each visit. One of these presentations can be the oral presentation for the qualifying exam. Additionally, a Ph.D. candidate should be present for the Ph.D. dissertation defense.
Online Engineering Courses
UND’s online engineering courses mirror those offered on campus. As an online doctoral student, you’ll follow the same curriculum, watch the same lectures and have the same deadlines for completing lessons and exams as a student on campus. Depending on the professor you may:
- Access course materials, assignments and recorded lectures.
- Communicate with engineering faculty and classmates.
- Use UND’s student support services such as online tutoring, digital library, tech support and advising services.
- Take supervised (proctored) exams using ProctorU.
Online Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering
The Ph.D. program in Electrical Engineering provides an opportunity for sustained and concentrated intellectual efforts. In both campus and distance delivery modes, the Electrical Engineering faculty advisor and advisory committee members must maintain regular interactions with the Ph.D. student.
Online students can meet the residency requirement by demonstrating their research activities are coordinated with their advisor and advisory committee and are being performed in an environment that provides meaningful intellectual interactions on a regular basis. This may be provided through their place of employment, through interactions with a national lab or other recognized research facility/university, by interfacing with a private or public industry, hospital, or other similar venue. The student will be responsible for including the nature of their interactions as a part of their research plan for approval as meeting residency requirements.
Leaders in Online Education
No matter how you customize your online experience, you’ll get the same top-quality education as any other on-campus student.
- Same degree. All online programs are fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC). Your transcript and diploma are exactly the same as our on-campus students.
- Same classes. You’ll take courses from UND professors, start and end the semesters at the same time and take the same classes as a student on campus.
- Real interaction. You can ask questions, get feedback and regularly connect with your professors, peers and professionals in the field.
- Your own academic advisor. As an invaluable go-to, they’re focused on you, your personal success and your future career.
- Free online tutoring. We're here to help you one-on-one at no cost. Plus, get access to a variety of self-help online study resources.
- Unlimited academic coaching. Need support to achieve your academic goals or feeling stumped by a tough course? We'll help with everything from stress and time management to improving your memory to achieve higher test scores.
- Full online access. Dig into virtual research from the Chester Fritz Library. Improve your writing skills with online help from the UND Writing Center. Get online access to career services, veteran and military services, financial services and more.
Best Online Colleges
Reportedly high alumni salaries and job placement rates, coupled with affordable online tuition rates make UND a best-value university for online education. UND's breadth of online programs rivals all other non-profit universities in the upper Midwest making UND one of the best online schools in the region.
UND ranks among the best online colleges in the nation for:
- Student satisfaction (retention rate)
- Academic quality (4-year graduate rate)
- Student outcomes (20-year return on investment per Paysacle.com)