Become a researcher in English studies while establishing your own expertise in the field.
As you prepare for a career in higher education, you will gain a strong foundation in the study of literature, in the teaching of college English, and in the disciplinary conventions that guide writing and research in English Studies. Balancing broad preparation with a commitment to helping students develop their own areas of research specialization, the Ph.D. program at UND provides you with a great deal of individualized attention.
- Program type:
- Doctoral Degree
- Est. time to complete:
- 5 years
- Credit hours:
Why Study English at UND?
Small class sizes, close work with faculty, and a strong emphasis on learning how to become an effective college teacher of English are just a few reasons students choose to enroll at UND.
Among our program's many features:
- Financial support: qualified students earn graduate teaching assistantships that cover most tuition costs and provide stipends, allowing you to focus on your studies.
- Graduate-level seminars that cover a variety of topics: you will find opportunities to study a wide range of literary genres, periods, and authors—and courses that explore literary criticism, research methods, and creative writing.
- A strong emphasis on pedagogy. Our composition program takes the teaching of writing seriously, and you receive coursework in teaching English, practical teaching workshops, individualized attention, and hands-on experience as you improve your college teaching skills.
- Individualized attention and support from expert faculty as you develop your own comprehensive exam and dissertation topics.
In the Ph.D. program at UND, you'll gain not only a broad foundation in the field, but also depth of expertise as you work closely with UND faculty with specializations in areas such as:
- American Literature and Culture
- British Literature and Culture
- Literary Criticism and Theory
- Women and Gender Studies
- Composition and Rhetoric