TESOL Online Graduate Certificate
Possess the knowledge and skills necessary to be an effective ELL, ESL or TESOL educator.
Be prepared to teach English to speakers of other languages and serve culturally diverse students in K-12 schools, adult education programs, and university intensive English programs in the U.S. and internationally. UND's online Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages program prepares professional teachers to enter this growing field, and help students with the challenges of learning English.
- Program type:
- Certificate - Graduate
- Est. time to complete:
- 1.5 years
- Credit hours:
Why Earn a TESOL Certificate Online at UND?
The part-time, online Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) certificate is designed for teachers who want to teach English to children and adults who speak English as a second language or an additional language.
The TESOL online certificate program allows you to:
- Design and implement instruction that integrates English language development with academic learning.
- Assess language proficiency levels of students and use assessment results to plan instruction.
- Apply knowledge of linguistics and second language acquisition to ELL / ESL instruction and assessment.
- Understand the needs of students from different cultural and linguistic backgrounds.
Learn from highly qualified faculty with doctoral degrees and extensive experience in teaching English as a second language to immigrants, refugees and Native Americans in the United States and to children and adults overseas.
- 100% online (asynchronous) graduate program enables you to complete all of your coursework online at the time of day and place of your choice. You are not required to come to campus at any time.
- Lower tuition costs than comparable online TESOL graduate programs.
UND's online TESOL program is for those who do not need or want a full master's program, but who want documentation of their studies in the field.
Completion of coursework leads to eligibility for the North Dakota ELL teacher endorsement. It may completely or partially fulfill ELL, ESL or TESOL endorsement requirements in other states.
Participate in a required 60 hours of practicum experience in a school near your local community.
Students who complete the TESOL certificate program are ready to teach ELL, ESL, or EFL students in the U.S. and internationally. There is currently a national shortage of ELL teachers. This online program is designed to meet requirements for ELL, ESL or TESOL teacher endorsement in North Dakota, as well as in other states.