Chemical Engineering (B.S.)
Specialize in energetics, petroleum engineering or sustainability at our top ranked chemical engineering program.
Solving many of today’s chemical engineering problems boils downs to specialized technical knowledge that fuses chemistry, physics, math and economics. Over 85% of UND chemical engineering graduates participate in hands-on learning through industrial internships, undergraduate research or design competitions.
- Program type:
- On-campus or online
- Est. time to complete:
- 4-5 years
- Credit hours:
Why Study Chemical Engineering at UND?
Chemical engineers transform substances and solve problems encompassing a broad range of industries, helping to make products and processes faster, safer, more reliable and sustainable. Leaders in this field have more than just a strong technical knowledge; they excel in critical thinking with solid real-world application experience.
With the UND chemical engineering undergraduate program, you'll gain the skills to succeed:
- Learn the fundamentals of the physical sciences, mathematics and chemical engineering.
- Participate in a hands-on lab sequence that emphasizes critical thinking and relates course content to real-world applications.
- Seize on many opportunities to design, conduct and analyze your own experiments.
Specialize Your Chemical Engineering Degree
Chemical engineering students have the option of three concentration to further specialize their career path in chemical engineering. Your transcript will be marked with the concentration upon completion of the curriculum.
- Energetics: Concepts widely used in defense applications, space exploration, counter-terrorism, fire suppression and public safety technologies, automotive airbags, and fireworks.
- Petroleum Engineering: An emphasis on the upstream development, drilling and production of oil and natural gas.
- Sustainability: Designed for careers associated with sustainable energy technologies, climate change, rising energy costs and energy security.
Top Online Engineering College in the Nation
Every engineering program offers education, but not every program prepares students to make a real impact the way UND does. UND is increasingly regarded as one of the top chemical engineering schools in the nation. Our chemical engineering programs consistently rank among the best for educational quality, affordability, and career outcomes.
Accreditation by ABET
Study chemical engineering at an accredited university. Both our on-campus and online programs are ABET accredited.
Knowledge to Lead
Through research and hands-on experience, UND students are learning to make an impact and change the world.
Tailor the program to your individual interests such as environmental concerns, alternative energy, materials, bio-processes or other areas.
Learn in a smaller and interactive environment with class sizes of only 30-40 students.
Earn your degree from one of the most well-respected engineering colleges in the upper Midwest. UND is experienced in educating distance engineering students for over 30 years.
Bring together all you've learned as part of a team participating in a process design and evaluation project (senior capstone course).
Graduates who participate in experiential learning opportunities through industrial work studies, internships or undergraduate research
Median salary range for a chemical engineer*
Chemical engineering graduates often go on to successful careers in today's fastest-growing and dynamic industries and sectors including: chemicals, agriculture, oil and gas, pharmaceuticals, and renewable energy.
UND chemical engineering graduates can expect a range of opportunities in careers like:
- Environmental engineer
- Plant process engineer
- Process design engineer
- Product development engineer
- Project engineer/manager
- Quality control engineer
UND Chemical Engineering Alumni
Chemical Engineering alumni have gone on to work at such companies as:
- Marathon Oil
- Dow Chemical
- Energizer Battery
- US Steel
- Dakota Gasification Company, Inc.
- Boston Scientific Corporation
- Archer Daniels Midland Company