Civil Engineering (M.S. or M.Eng.)
Earn your graduate degree in civil engineering from a top ranked and affordable program.
The master's in civil engineering includes three separate concentration tracks: soils structure engineering, water resources engineering, and environmental engineering. A general track is also available for those looking for a broader curriculum in graduate school.
- Program type:
- Master's Degree
- On-campus or online
- Est. time to complete:
- 1-2 years
- Credit hours:
- M.S: 30 (thesis option) or 32 (non-thesis option) / M.Eng: 30 (Design Report Option)
Why Earn a Master's Degree in Civil Engineering at UND?
The University of North Dakota's civil engineering graduate program offers an advanced study in civil engineering. At UND, you will:
- Build on your knowledge to achieve a greater understanding of civil engineering and the design process.
- Practice civil engineering in a wide range of professional settings including consulting firms, government agencies and industries.
- Conduct research in your chosen area of interest. Many of our students specialize in soils-structure engineering, industrial and hazardous waste management, and hydrology.
- Get the advanced expertise and apply your knowledge for success in a wide range of opportunities at consulting firms, government agencies and industries.
M.S. vs. M.Eng. in Civil Engineering
UND offers two civil engineering masters degrees: Master of Science (M.S.) and Master of Engineering (M.Eng.). Please connect with the Department of Civil Engineering before making a final decision.
The M.S. program includes a thesis or research project/independent study, which prepares students for careers in research, practice and further studies toward a Ph.D.
The M.Eng. program is more course-based and includes writing a design project report. The program has a strong and directed emphasis toward the practice of engineering.
Top Online Civil Engineering Degree in the Nation
UND is recognized by U.S. News & World Report as a top online graduate engineering program. We consistently rank among the best for educational quality, affordability and career outcomes. UND's three specialized tracks make it a unique and flexible online graduate degree.