Civil Engineering (M.S. or M.Eng.)
Advance your professional skills and field knowledge to design and problem-solve today’s infrastructure solutions.
The world needs skilled engineers that can solve today’s most pressing challenges. If you want to advance your talent to the next level, a Master of Engineering (M.S. or M. Eng.) in Civil Engineering is an ideal career path. Whether you’re aiming for public or private sector work, or considering the road to a doctoral degree, UND offers the well-rounded program you need.
- Program type:
- Master's Degree
- On-campus or online
- Est. time to complete:
- 1-2 years
- Credit hours:
- M.S: 30 (thesis option) or 32 (non-thesis option) / M.Eng: 30 (Design Report Option)
Why Earn a Master's Degree in Civil Engineering at UND?
An eroding infrastructure, exploding population growth and the impact of global environmental changes make qualified civil engineers that can address and solve these challenges extremely valuable in the public and private sector.
The civil engineering graduate program offers an advanced study in civil engineering with opportunities to:
- Build on your undergraduate knowledge to achieve an even greater understanding of civil engineering and the design process.
- Practice civil engineering in a wide range of professional settings including consulting firms, government agencies and industries.
- Conduct independent research in your chosen area of interest.
- Get the advanced expertise and apply your knowledge for success in a wide range of opportunities at consulting firms, government agencies and industries.
M.S. vs. M.Eng. Degree
UND offers both Civil Engineering Master of Science (M.S.) and Master of Engineering (M.Eng.) degrees. It is recommended you connect with the Department of Civil Engineering before making a final decision.
The more popular M.S. program includes a thesis or research project/independent study, which prepares students for careers in research, practice and further studies toward a Ph.D.
The M.Eng. program is more course-based and includes writing a design project report. The program has a strong and directed emphasis toward the practice of engineering.
Top Civil Engineering Degree in the Nation
Every civil engineering program offers education, but not every program prepares students to make a real impact the way UND does. UND is increasingly regarded as one of the top academic and research institutions in the nation for civil engineering. We consistently rank among the best for educational quality, affordability, and career outcomes.
Recognized by U.S. News & World Report as a top online graduate engineering program.