Learn to protect critical technological infrastructure.
Cyber-attacks have increased dramatically as usage of and reliance on computers expands. Therefore, there is a vital and growing need for all professionals to have a basic understanding of cyber security. The minor in Cyber Security is designed to help students from all backgrounds achieve this basic understanding.
- Program type:
- On Campus or Online
- Est. time to complete:
- 1-2 years
- Credit hours:
Why minor in Cyber Security?
Cybersecurity is an immense priority in today's technology-dependent world. Threats from home and abroad make it essential to have skilled individuals that can protect mission-critical infrastructure, defense technologies and other vital systems from attacks.
With this UND minor program, you'll benefit from a program that:
- Gives you the expertise to be a part of a highly educated technical workforce with cyber-physical security skills to address the complexity of critical infrastructure security concerns
- Offers you opportunities to participate in cybersecurity research
- Provides the knowledge and technical skills for working in the cybersecurity sector, along with a strong liberal arts foundation for a well-rounded education
Cyber Security Careers
UND graduates can expect a range of opportunities in careers with many kinds of institutions, and in many different industries. It is anticipated that students completing this program will be in demand by:
- Local, regional, national, and international cybersecurity-focused businesses
- Companies expanding into the Red River Valley, such as Northrup-Grumman and General Atomics
- Local start-up and emerging companies
- Government agencies
What majors pair well with a Cyber Security minor?
Combining a Cyber Security minor with certain majors can enhance your skill set and broaden your career options. Alternatively, you may choose to deepen your expertise with a bachelor's degree in Cyber Security. Here are some bachelor’s degrees that pair well with a Cyber Security minor:
- Computer Science Degree: A major in Computer Science provides a comprehensive understanding of software development, networking, and computer systems. Pairing it with a Cyber Security minor adds a layer of security expertise to your technical knowledge.
- Data Science Degree: Data science involves analyzing large datasets to extract insights and make data-driven decisions. Combining it with a Cyber Security minor prepares you to analyze cybersecurity data, identify patterns, and detect potential threats.
- Criminal Justice Degree: A major in Criminal Justice provides an understanding of legal and ethical issues related to cybersecurity, as well as knowledge of cybercrime investigation and digital forensics techniques.
- Business Degree: Business majors learn about management, finance, and organizational behavior. Pairing it with a Cyber Security minor prepares you for leadership roles in cybersecurity management and strategy.
- Electrical Engineering Degree: Electrical engineering involves the study of electrical systems and electronic devices. Adding a Cyber Security minor to this major enables you to develop secure hardware and embedded systems.
- Information Systems Degree: Information Systems focuses on the practical application of technology to solve business challenges, including the management and security of information systems. A Cyber Security minor complements this by equipping you with the skills to protect information systems and networks.
- Math Degree: Pairing a Math degree with a Cyber Security minor can provide a strong foundation for various careers in cybersecurity, data protection, and information technology.