Online Geological Engineering Degree
You can earn your geological engineering degree online while you continue to live and work in your community.
Campus Visit for Online Geological Engineering Students
While the majority of coursework is online, you’ll get to come to campus for 1 - 2 weeks during the summer to meet your professors and complete the laboratory portions of the geological engineering program. Your time on the UND campus is designed to integrate, extend and apply the knowledge you’ve learned during your online courses. Your campus visit will include:
- Hands-on geological engineering labs or simulations
- Training and practice with technical communication
- Opportunities to interact with faculty and other students in geological engineering
Geological engineers are experts with earth materials, such as rocks, and soil; and mechanical and physical properties that dictate their usefulness and methods to utilizing them in the built environment. Much of the analysis, identification, and properties require direct interaction with the specimens in laboratory and in the field.
The hands on experience necessary can only be gained in field camp and on your campus visit, where you work over a short period of time with dedicated faculty and teaching assistants to build experience and master the job skills you need.
Affordable Online Colleges
UND is one of the most affordable online colleges in the region. For this program, we offer in-state tuition rates regardless of your legal residency. Compare and you’ll see UND is lower cost than similar four-year doctoral universities.
Leaders in Online Education
No matter how you customize your online experience, you’ll get the same top-quality education as any other on-campus student.
- Same degree. All online programs are fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC). Your transcript and diploma are exactly the same as our on-campus students.
- Same classes. You’ll take courses from UND professors, start and end the semesters at the same time and take the same classes as a student on campus.
- Real interaction. You can ask questions, get feedback and regularly connect with your professors, peers and professionals in the field.
- Your own academic advisor. As an invaluable go-to, they’re focused on you, your personal success and your future career.
- Free online tutoring. We're here to help you one-on-one at no cost. Plus, get access to a variety of self-help online study resources.
- Unlimited academic coaching. Need support to achieve your academic goals or feeling stumped by a tough course? We'll help with everything from stress and time management to improving your memory to achieve higher test scores.
- Full online access. Dig into virtual research from the Chester Fritz Library. Improve your writing skills with online help from the UND Writing Center. Get online access to career services, veteran and military services, financial services and more.
Best Online Colleges
Reportedly high alumni salaries and job placement rates, coupled with affordable online tuition rates make UND a best-value university for online education. UND's breadth of online programs rivals all other non-profit universities in the upper Midwest making UND one of the best online schools in the region.
UND ranks among the best online colleges in the nation for:
- Student satisfaction (retention rate)
- Academic quality (4-year graduate rate)
- Student outcomes (20-year return on investment per Paysacle.com)
"You are not going to find [these online classes] accredited anywhere else. UND made such an effort to put infrastructure in place. There is a resource for everything. People are so helpful."
The Society of Distance Engineering Students is a club just for online engineering students. You'll connect with online and on-campus students to study and collaborate - uninhibited by the physical distance between you.