Law (Accelerated Bachelor's/J.D.)
Focus on one of three undergraduate degrees and shave a year off law school.
Get personalized attention at a law school that’s focused on you while also earning your bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Philosophy or Criminal Justice. The University of North Dakota’s specialized 3+3 track allows you to earn your bachelor’s degree while getting on the law school track early.
- Program type:
- Law Degree
- Est. time to complete:
- 6 years
- Credit hours:
Earn Your Undergraduate and Law Degree in Six Years
Our unique program allows you to specialize in an undergraduate program while getting a jumpstart on law school. You complete both degrees in six years rather than seven — a big savings in time and money.
- Program establishes direct route for students interested in pursuing law at undergraduate level.
- All three programs are designed to prepare you for the Law School Admission Test (LSAT), as well as equip you with the skills necessary to succeed in law school or in just about any career.
- Students enrolled in any of the majors will develop skills including analytical reading, critical thinking and logic, advanced oral and written communication, problem solving, advanced research skills and argument formation.
- All three majors emphasize legal processes and institutions that offer excellent preparation to students for law school.
The accelerated Law program is available for three degrees:
You will complete the first three years of your undergraduate program in Criminal Justice, Philosophy, or Political Science. The fourth year of your undergraduate degree will double count credits and meet the Essential Studies Capstone requirement to help you complete your bachelor's while you begin your coursework for the J.D.
Join the Law (accelerated Bachelor's/J.D.) program by applying as an undergraduate student and declaring to one of the three degrees listed above. Then you will need to contact the Pre-Law coordinator for your track to get advising and more information to complete your admission into the accelerated Law (3+3) program.
Criminal Justice Pre-Law Coordinator: Roni Mayzer
Philosophy Pre-Law Coordinator: Lucian Stone
Political Science Pre-Law Coordinator: Benjamin Kassow
Top-notch faculty: Our professors are internationally recognized researchers and award-winning teachers in areas directly related to pre-law studies. We excel in philosophy of law, ethics, social and political philosophy, legal studies, logic and more.
Great resources: The Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies houses a library with a special collection of books and study aids specifically for pre-law students.
Active engagement: Join the Pre-Law Student Society to gain opportunities to engage with law faculty and alumni through the classroom, extensive office hours, advising, club participation, honor societies and regular social gatherings.
Affordability: UND offers one of the most affordable university educations. North Dakota’s only law degree and the Upper Midwest’s only combined B.A. or B.S./J.D. degree now has become even more affordable with 3+3.
Median annual salary for Lawyer*
Predicted job growth from 2016 to 2026 for law related careers*
This program prepares graduates for a wide range of careers:
- Trust manager
- Ethics and compliance officer
- Policy analyst
- Security officer
- Police officer
- Conflict resolution
- Private practice attorney
- Corporate counsel
- State’s attorney
- Criminal defense attorney
- Public interest attorney
UND Law Alumni
Law alumni have gone on to a variety of successful careers with:
- Crowley Fleck Pllp
- Fredrikson & Byron, P.A.
- North Dakota Supreme Court
- State of North Dakota
- Conmy Feste, Ltd.