Get the skills to understand the practical uses of math, science and engineering. You'll graduate prepared for a rewarding mechanical engineering career.
Machines are at the core of our daily lives, and mechanical engineers are responsible for designing them. Mechanical Engineering students can specialize in four different areas: mechanical design, thermal sciences, manufacturing and materials, and aerospace.
- Program type:
- On Campus or Online
- Est. time to complete:
- 4+ years
- Credit hours:
Why earn a mechanical engineering degree?
UND's Mechanical Engineering Degree
Satisfy the eligibility requirement to sit for the NCEES PE examination. Accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, this program meets the education requirements to pursue a license as a Professional Engineer in all 50 states.
Work on wind-tunnel experiments, space hardware design, nanotechnology and other projects.
Solve real-world industrial problems in design projects sponsored by 3M, NASA, Arctic Cat and more.
Participate in research ranging from robotics to gas turbine engines to unmanned aerial vehicles.
Experience hands-on learning from the start when you build a design project and prototype during your first year on campus.
Get on-the-job experience as an entry-level engineer in our co-op program. Work for companies such as Honda, Energizer, Xcel Energy and more while still a student —and while being paid.
What can I do with a mechanical engineering degree?
Best Mechanical Engineering Schools
Be in demand. UND mechanical engineering graduates have gone to work at companies including:
- American Crystal Sugar
- Arctic Cat
- BAE Systems
- Blandin Paper
- Boise Cascade
- Case IH
- Central Boiler
- Cirrus Aircraft
- Comm Dell Industries
- Dakota Gasification Company
- Doosan Bobcat
- Dow Chemical
- Emerson Electric
- Erskine Manufacturing
- FCA North America
- Field of View
- Fusion Automation
- Goodyear Tire & Rubber
- Harris Corporation
- Hewlett Packard
- Honda R&D Americas
- John Deere
- Lockheed Martin
- Lund Boats
- Marvin Windows
- Minnkota Power
- Northrop Grumman
- Oakridge National Labs
- Ottertail Power
- Philadelphia Macaroni
- Polaris Industries
- Sandia National Labs
- Team Industries
- UTC Aerospace Systems
- Xcel Energy
Mechanical Engineering Degree Courses
Best Online Mechanical Engineering Bachelor's Program
Online Mechanical Engineering Degree
What to expect in UND's mechanical engineering degree online?
No matter how you customize your online experience, you’ll get the same top-quality education as any other on-campus student.
- Same degree. All online programs are fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC). Your transcript and diploma are exactly the same as our on-campus students.
- Same classes. You’ll take courses from UND professors, start and end the semesters at the same time and take the same classes as a student on campus.
- Real interaction. You can ask questions, get feedback and regularly connect with your professors, peers and professionals in the field.
- Your own academic advisor. As an invaluable go-to, they’re focused on you, your personal success and your future career.
- Free online tutoring. We're here to help you one-on-one at no cost. Plus, get access to a variety of self-help online study resources.
- Unlimited academic coaching. Need support to achieve your academic goals or feeling stumped by a tough course? We'll help with everything from stress and time management to improving your memory to achieve higher test scores.
- Full online access. Dig into virtual research from the Chester Fritz Library. Improve your writing skills with online help from the UND Writing Center. Get online access to career services, veteran and military services, financial services and more.
- 24/7 technical support. UND provides free computer, email and other technical support for all online students.
Best Online College
Reportedly high alumni salaries and job placement rates, coupled with affordable online tuition rates make UND a best-value university for online education. UND's breadth of online programs rivals all other non-profit universities in the upper Midwest making UND one of the best online schools in the region.
UND ranks among the best online colleges in the nation for:
- Student satisfaction (retention rate)
- Academic quality (4-year graduate rate)
- Student outcomes (20-year return on investment per Paysacle.com)