Online Master's Degree in Nutrition
Affordability and career outcomes make UND one of the best online masters in nutrition programs in the nation.
You can earn your nutrition master's degree from the University of North Dakota while you continue to live and work in your own community. Your transcript and diploma will look the same as for a student who graduated from UND by taking traditional on-campus courses.
Online Nutrition Courses
As part of this program, you will experience a combination of asynchronous (on your own learning) and some live (synchronous) class sessions. We provide opportunities for you to learn in a variety of settings and gain insights from instructors and fellow students.
Regardless of the format of your classes, if you’re the kind of learner that likes active discussion, you’ll enjoy this online course format.
Classes are structured similar to on-campus classes with unique assignments, due dates and opportunities to discuss content with your classmates virtually.
One Week Nutrition Visit
Students completing Nutrition Education and Counseling will be required to visit the UND campus in Grand Forks for one week about half way through their program. This visit will prepare you for the required practicum experience for N&D 596: Nutrition Education and Counseling Practicum. Other benefits of the campus visit are:
- Interacting in-person with nutrition instructors and classmates.
- Intensive nutrition training and skill development opportunities.
- Engaging in additional writing, library and research-related activities.
Local Clinical Practicum Experience
Students in the Nutrition Education and Counseling specialization will be required to complete 90 hours field practicum experience under the guidance of professionals with expertise in nutrition education and counseling. Through this experience, you'll:
- Build interviewing, assessment and education skills.
- Bridge theory to practice.
- Develop advanced nutrition counseling and/or education skills working with underserved populations.
With asynchronous classes, you do not attend class at a set time. If you need to balance work, family, and other commitments, this flexible format allows you to learn anywhere at any time.
Depending on your instructor, you’ll learn online through:
- Lesson modules
- Streaming video content
- Virtual libraries
- Posted lectures
- Online simulations
There will be times when you interact with your instructor and classmates through online discussion boards, polls, and chat rooms.
Your learning revolves around materials that can be accessed on your own time within a set time frame. However, this is not a self-paced course. You’ll have structure and deadlines.
Synchronous classes are held in real-time. If you’re the kind of learner who likes active discussion and immediate feedback through live interaction, you’ll enjoy this online course format.
Every class is different, but generally, you’ll log into a virtual classroom at scheduled times to:
- Listen to a lecture
- Ask questions
- Participate in class discussions
- Conduct group activities
- Participate in video sharing
- Have chat conversations
- Use interactive whiteboards
- Take live polls
You should prepare for your classes by finishing any assigned readings, compiling questions for your instructor, and thinking about how to contribute to the next live class.
Affordable Online Colleges
UND is one of the most affordable online colleges in the region. For this program, we offer the same online tuition rates regardless of your legal residency. Compare and you’ll see UND is lower cost than similar four-year doctoral universities.
Leaders in Online Education
No matter how you customize your online experience, you’ll get the same top-quality education as any other on-campus student.
- Same degree. All online programs are fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC). Your transcript and diploma are exactly the same as our on-campus students.
- Same classes. You’ll take courses from UND professors, start and end the semesters at the same time and take the same classes as a student on campus.
- Real interaction. You can ask questions, get feedback and regularly connect with your professors, peers and professionals in the field.
- Your own academic advisor. As an invaluable go-to, they’re focused on you, your personal success and your future career.
- Free online tutoring. We're here to help you one-on-one at no cost. Plus, get access to a variety of self-help online study resources.
- Unlimited academic coaching. Need support to achieve your academic goals or feeling stumped by a tough course? We'll help with everything from stress and time management to improving your memory to achieve higher test scores.
- Full online access. Dig into virtual research from the Chester Fritz Library. Improve your writing skills with online help from the UND Writing Center. Get online access to career services, veteran and military services, financial services and more.
- 24/7 technical support. UND provides free computer, email and other technical support for all online students.
Best Online Colleges
Reportedly high alumni salaries and job placement rates, coupled with affordable online tuition rates make UND a best-value university for online education. UND's breadth of online programs rivals all other non-profit universities in the upper Midwest making UND one of the best online schools in the region.
UND ranks among the best online colleges in the nation for:
- Student satisfaction (retention rate)
- Academic quality (4-year graduate rate)
- Student outcomes (20-year return on investment per Paysacle.com)