Reading Education (M.S. or M.Ed.)
Develop effective practices for teaching the reading and writing skills young people need to succeed.
UND offers one of the best literacy education programs in the country, helping educators develop the skills to succeed at the highest level. With our online master's degree in reading education, you'll gain expertise in literacy education, instructional practice and assessment.
- Program type:
- Master's Degree
- Est. time to complete:
- 2+ years
- Credit hours:
Why Earn a Master's Degree in Reading Education Online?
Graduate students in UND's reading education program develop skills to offer specialized reading support. The online program is designed for all K-12 teachers seeking to gain more professional knowledge in literacy. You will:
- Be better equipped for reading assessment and instruction.
- Become engaged in literacy education in a supervised practicum experience. Licensed teachers take coursework that meets the requirements for obtaining a state issued Reading Credential.
- Focus on an area of interest in a scholarly project or independent study.
M.Ed. vs. M.S. in Reading Education
UND offers both Reading Education Master of Education (M.Ed.) and Master of Science (M.S.) degrees. Applicants must hold teaching licensure in early childhood, elementary, middle or secondary education.
- The M.Ed. is for teachers who aim to gain professional knowledge for teaching in the classroom, with an emphasis on literacy, and plan to continue as a certified teacher. You'll advance your overall professional knowledge about curriculum, assessment and instruction with an emphasis on literacy.
- The M.S is for those who aim to support teachers and students in literacy through specialized occupations such as a reading specialist, instructional coach or curriculum developer. The entire program is literacy specific, including two research courses that target topics of study in literacy.
Top Ranked Online Literacy Education Program
Our 100% online program is designed for working educators. We offer a flexible, convenient option to earn your master's degree and reading credentials while balancing professional and personal responsibilities. Class sizes are small. Our reading education degree is affordable too. You'll pay in-state tuition regardless of where you live.
Accredited Online Reading Education Program
- UND is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC).
- UND's education programs are accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
Study and share work with peers using the university's premiere online platform.
Course work enhances your ability to conduct and analyze assessments, and plan using appropriate instructional practices for all learners including those with diverse needs.
Practical application is built into every literacy course.
Literacy leadership course targets roles and responsibilities of literacy coaches and/or reading specialists.
Faculty are experienced classroom teachers and are committed and available to their students for advising.
Take advantage of support services offered including tutoring, library and technology assistance.
Graduates with a master's degree in reading education are qualified for reading specialist positions at K-12 schools in North Dakota, Minnesota and across the nation as well as alternative literacy programs. They are qualified to be reading specialists, literacy coaches, instructional support teachers and intervention specialists.