Reading Education (M.S. or M.Ed.)
Develop effective practices for teaching the reading and writing skills young people need to succeed.
Today's learners face challenges that stand in their way of successful reading and writing. With a master's degree in reading education from the University of North Dakota, you'll gain expertise in literacy education and be prepared to implement instructional practice and assessment, meet the needs of diverse student groups, and advocate for effective literacy practices in schools.
- Program type:
- Master's Degree
- Est. time to complete:
- 2+ years
- Credit hours:
Why Study Reading Education at UND
Students in the Reading Education program develop skills to offer specialized reading support for students and gain knowledge of literacy curriculum, assessment and instruction. After graduating from UND, you will be prepared for specialized careers including reading specialist, literacy coach, and curriculum developer.
The program is designed for all teacher k-12 and is also for classroom teachers looking to gain more professional knowledge in literacy in order to be better equipped for reading assessment and instruction.
- Students become engaged in literacy education in a supervised practicum experience. Licensed teachers take coursework that meets the requirements for obtaining a state issued Reading Credential.
- The program culminates in a scholarly project or independent study.
- Our online program is designed for working educators and offers a flexible, convenient option to earn your master's degree and reading credential while balancing professional and personal responsibilities. Class sizes are small.
- You'll pay in-state tuition regardless of where you live.
M.Ed. vs. M.S.
UND offers both Reading Education Master of Education (M.Ed.) and Master of Science (M.S.) degrees. It is recommended you connect with the College of Education before making a final decision. However, in general, a M.Ed. program supports classroom teachers who want to advance their overall professional knowledge about curriculum, assessment, and instruction with an emphasis on literacy; while the M.S. program has a instructional specialist orientation designed for those interested in career opportunities as a reading specialist, instructional coach, or curriculum developer.
- The M.S is appropriate for K-12 certified teachers who aim to support teachers and students in literacy through specialized occupations. The entire program is literacy specific, including two research courses that target topics of study in literacy.
- The M.Ed. is appropriate for K-12 certified teachers who aim to gain professional knowledge for teaching in the classroom, with an emphasis on literacy, and plan to continue in their role as a certified teacher.
Top Online Education Degree in the Nation
Every reading education program offers education, but not every program prepares students to make a real impact the way UND does. UND is increasingly regarded as one of the top academic and research institutions in the nation for education. We consistently rank among the best for educational quality, affordability, and career outcomes.
Recognized by U.S. News & World Report as a top online Education program.