Social Work (M.S.W.)
Engage in advanced social work education on-campus or online through one of the top-ranked online M.S.W. programs in the nation.
Be the change. As a Master of Social Work (M.S.W.) student at UND you'll join others honing social work practice and leadership skills to help improve lives, redress injustices, improve systems, and prevent social problems and suffering.
- Program type:
- Master's Degree
- On-campus or online
- Est. time to complete:
- 1-2 years (on-campus or distance concentration) or 3 years (distance foundation)
- Credit hours:
- 36 (on-campus or distance concentration) or 60 (distance foundation)
Why Study Social Work at UND?
The Advanced Generalist emphasis prepares you for all practice settings, including clinical social work. You will be prepared to provide advanced social services to individuals, families and groups in your community; and to develop the skills needed for supervisory, management and program development positions.
We're leaders in online education and our programs are especially tailored for students who work full-time and those who want a real connection to faculty and colleagues. We are passionate about your journey and your success.
The Master of Social Work (M.S.W.) degree is offered three ways at UND:
- Distance Concentration: Online learning for students who have completed a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) degree from a CSWE-accredited program.
- On-Campus Concentration: A full- or part-time, in-person option at the Grand Forks campus for students who have completed a Bachelor of Social Work (B.S.W.) degree from a CSWE-accredited program. Full-time students can complete this concentration in as few as three semesters.
- Distance Foundation: Online learning for students without a B.S.W. but with a bachelor's degree in a related field.
The undergraduate program in Social Work, offering a Bachelors of Science in Social Work (B.S.S.W.) degree, has been accredited since 1974, when undergraduate accreditation first began. The M.S.W. program was established in 1989 and was fully accredited in 1993.
The department's programs have been continuously reaffirmed for accreditation. Curricula are updated to adhere to CSWE standards and to meet the needs of the practice community. The department continues to update its curriculum to adhere to revised standards established by the Commission on Accreditation of the Council on Social Work Education.
Top Online Social Work Program in the Nation
Every accredited social work program offers education, but not every program prepares students to make a real impact the way UND does. UND is increasingly regarded as one of the top academic and research institutions in the nation for social work. We consistently rank among the best for educational quality, affordability, and career outcomes.
#7 - Top Best CSWE Accredited Online MSW Degree Program according to Social Work Degree Center