Develop a deeper understanding of special education so you can support the strengths and challenges of students with disabilities.
This 100% online graduate certificate prepares teachers to serve school-aged students with learning and intellectual disabilities and emotional behavioral disorders. You'll also be prepared to help younger children receiving early childhood special education services.
- Program type:
- Certificate - Graduate
- Est. time to complete:
- 1 year
- Credit hours:
Why earn a graduate certificate in special education online?
Online Special Education Certification Program
You'll acquire a special education license to help fill the demand for special education teachers at the state and national level.
Fully online program allows you the flexibility to learn on your own schedule in the comfort of your own home. No campus visit required.
Enjoy hands-on, real-world experiential learning with highly qualified mentors and practicing special education teachers.
What can I do with an online special education certification?
Now is an ideal time to pursue a special education graduate certificate. Job prospects are strong due to rising enrollments of special education students and shortages of qualified teachers. Additional job openings are expected as a result of teacher retirements or career changes.
Special education teachers typically do the following:
- Assess students’ skills and determine their educational needs
- Adapt general lessons to meet students’ needs
- Develop Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) for each student
- Plan activities that are specific to each student’s abilities
- Teach and mentor students as a class, in small groups, and one-on-one
- Implement IEPs, assess students’ performance, and track their progress
- Update IEPs throughout the school year to reflect students’ progress and goals
- Discuss students’ progress with parents, other teachers, counselors, and administrators
- Supervise and mentor teacher assistants who work with students with disabilities
- Prepare and help students transition from grade to grade and from school to life outside of school