Exam Security for Semester-Based Courses
There are many options available for securing exams and the specific method used may vary based on the course/instructor.
There are no additional charges to students for ProctorU, Respondus LockDown Browser, or YuJa Proctoring.
ProctorU provides the ability for students to take exams online at no additional cost. Exams may be set up as Auto with Review (Review+) or Live+ proctoring service. Most courses will use the Auto with Review (Review+) proctoring service, but this should be verified with the course instructor.
For this proctoring method, a live proctor is not present and you do not need to schedule an appointment. The session begins with an automated identity verification process. Your audio/video and screen are recorded throughout the exam. The exam recording is then reviewed by a professional ProctorU proctor and instructors are notified of any potential exam integrity issues.
Prepare for your Exam
- Review System Requirements
- Download the Chrome or Firefox web browser if you do not already have it installed (Microsoft Edge and Safari are not supported)
- Download the ProctorU Extension for your browser: Chrome Extension or Firefox Extension. Check to make sure you do not have other proctoring extensions installed/enabled.
- Access UND's ProctorU Single Sign-on page to create your account (new users) or sign in (existing users). On the UND Sign in
screen, use your same username and password that you use for Blackboard and click
- New Users: Once signed in, you will be prompted to fill in your address, phone number, and details to create your account. Do NOT change the email address that prefills for your account.
- Existing Users: If you are already signed into Blackboard or another UND system, you will be passed through to ProctorU.
- Run the automated system check.
- Take a practice exam in Blackboard and follow the steps under Take your Exam to become familiar with the process. Go to the UND Student Resource Course in Blackboard and select Proctoring Options from the course menu. Take the ProctorU Auto with Review Practice Quiz to make sure your equipment is working properly.
- You DO NOT schedule Auto with Review exams. When you are ready to take your exam, follow the steps below.
Take your Exam
- Log in to the ProctorU Single Sign-on page using the browser where you installed the ProctorU extension. Leave this tab open.
- Open a new tab and sign in to Blackboard. You must go to blackboard.UND.edu. If you use any other address for Blackboard you will not be able to take your exam.
- Navigate to your Blackboard course and click on the exam link, then click Begin. The system should automatically add the password and the ProctorU Welcome screen should open.
- From the ProctorU Welcome screen, begin the process of verifying your identity and setting up your equipment. Note: Mac Catalina users may need to make these security setting adjustments in Chrome in order to proceed. Pop-ups blockers must be disabled. If asked to allow ProctorU access, click "Allow".
If you are prompted for an exam password and the ProctorU Welcome screen does not appear, please try the following:
- Leave the Blackboard tab open and click on the ProctorU tab. Reload the ProctorU page using the reload button in the top left corner of the browser (or right-click on the page and select Reload). Go back to the Blackboard tab and reload that page as well. This should take you back to the initial Blackboard course landing page. Navigate to the exam link and then click Begin. You should now see the ProctorU setup page.
- Try clearing browser cache/cookies and repeating the steps above.
- Make sure you are using a browser with the ProctorU extension installed and running and that you are signed in correctly.
- Check to make sure you do not have other proctoring extensions installed/enabled.
- For additional assistance, please use the link on the left to contact ProctorU support and notify them that you are taking a UND Auto with Review exam.
Certain time periods may not be available for scheduling when ProctorU experiences extremely high volumes of testing. Please schedule your exam appointment as far in advance as possible.
ProctorU Live+ is a live online proctoring service that allows students to take exams from anywhere using a webcam and Internet connection, while being supervised by a remote ProctorU proctor. Review your course syllabus or Blackboard site for more information. Please note: Additional equipment is required when taking PDF (written) exams.
Get Started with ProctorU Live+
- Create your ProctorU Account
- Download Chrome or Firefox web browser
- Download the ProctorU Extension: Chrome or Firefox
- Review System Requirements
- Test your Equipment and connect with a live technician for a full system check. This may take 25-30 minutes. Failure to do the full system check may result in delays when starting your exam.
- Schedule your Exam as early as possible. If you do not see your exam listed, contact your course instructor.
- Sign into ProctorU when it is time for your appointment. Exams will be accessed through Blackboard and ProctorU will input the exam password. Wait times may be longer than normal (up to 45-minutes to connect to a proctor) due to high volume as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
For assistance, please contact ProctorU at 1-855-772-8678 or visit the ProctorU Help Center.
ProctorU Exam Guidelines
- Students must take the exam in a private, well-lit room. There should be no one else in the room when taking the exam and students should not speak out-loud during the exam.
- The area where students will be taking the exam should be clear of any papers, notes, books, calendars, personal items (phone, purse, photos) and other unpermitted resources.
- Students will not be allowed to take the exam with books, notes, or reference aids of any kind unless specified in the exam instructions.
- ProctorU will verify the identity of the student (with a photo ID such as a driver’s license) before the exam is started.
- ProctorU will enter the password to allow access to the Blackboard exam. Students should not have access to the exam password.
- Students are not allowed to open any browsers or computer files during an online exam, unless specified in the exam as a permitted resource.
- Students may not print, copy, or retain the exam.
- ProctorU will troubleshoot exam problems that arise during the exam.
Respondus LockDown Browser
Respondus LockDown Browser is a free custom browser that locks down the testing environment within Blackboard. When students use Respondus LockDown Browser they are unable to print, copy, go to another URL, or access other applications. When an assessment is started, the computer is locked into the exam until it is submitted for grading. Compatible with Mac and Windows.
YuJa Exam Proctoring allows the student to record video/audio and their computer screen while completing an exam. The recording is securely allocated to a centralized instructor folder which will avoid distribution of the exam recording by the student. There is no additional charge for YuJa Exam Proctoring.
YuJa Proctoring with Respondus LockDown Browser
Respondus LockDown Browser can be used in addition to YuJa Proctoring for an extra layer of exam security.
Some courses may allow use of in-person proctors or testing centers for proctored exams if no other options are available. Proctors are individuals who agree to supervise examinations and meet the criteria set forth by the University of North Dakota (see Proctor Policy below). Proctors have the responsibility of facilitating fairness and integrity during testing situations.
NOTE: Individual fees for in-person proctors will be the responsibility of the student, unless an in-person proctor is required for an accessibility accommodation.
Please visit with your course instructor or department to see if this option is available.
Please note that the College of Engineering and Mines has a specific proctoring policy. Please see your course syllabus to review that proctor policy.
Proctors May Be
- Testing Centers
- School or Public Librarian
- K-12 Teachers or College/University Professors - with a verified school email address
- Educational Administrators (principal/superintendent) - with a verified school email address
- Adult Learning Centers
- Guidance Counselors
- Commanding Officers, Military Education Officers or Embassy Education Officers (for current military students and spouses)
Proctors May Not Be
- Teaching Assistants
- Human Resources Representative
- Direct Supervisors
- Direct Reports/Employees
- Colleagues at Same Level
- Athletic or Assistant Coaches
- Personal Tutors
- All exams will be accessed online. A computer with internet access must be available at the testing site where the exam is proctored. Wireless internet connections are not recommended. Web browser and operating system requirements can be found at Technology Requirements page. The web browser must be configured to accept cookies.
- Proctors must verify the identity of the student (with a photo ID such as a driver's license) and read all of the exam instructions to the student before he or she begins the exam.
- Proctors must closely monitor the student until he or she is finished with the exam and ensure the student does not leave the room, except for an emergency.
- To access online exam details (including the exam password), the proctor will log in to the UND Proctoring Web Portal and will be required to verify that he or she is accepting proctor responsibilities. Proctors will not give the student the password for online exams. The student will navigate to the exam in Blackboard and the proctor will enter the exam password when prompted.
- Students are not allowed to open any browsers or computer files during an online exam, unless otherwise specified. Exams should not be printed, unless it is a PDF exam taken with an in-person proctor.
- Students cannot take the exam with books, notes, or reference aids of any kind unless specified in the exam instructions. Students cannot take notes about the exam or attempt by any other means (e.g., by using a cell-phone camera or other electronic device) to copy any part of the exam.
- If the exam is specified as a PDF (printed) exam, proctors must collect all exam documents at the conclusion of the testing period. The completed exam documents should be scanned and uploaded into Blackboard. Some print exams need to be returned to UND by fax and/or by mail. Please check the specific exam instructions within the Blackboard course for details. When exams are required to be returned by mail, students must provide a stamped, addressed envelope for the proctor to mail the exam to UND.
- If the designated proctor is unable to proctor the exam, the student must complete another Proctor Designation Form. Proctors should not give an exam or exam password to another person or to the student and should not access/print the exam in advance.
Do you have a question that isn't answered here? Please contact your instructor or UND Technical Support.
My exam/quiz is not available in Blackboard, what should I do?
If the exam is not available in Blackboard, please contact your course instructor.
What if an exam is not available for scheduling through ProctorU?
Check the Blackboard course site or contact the instructor to find out the exam availability dates. Remember, if your course is using ProctorU Auto with Review, you do NOT schedule your exam.
What if I am kicked out of the exam or receive a submission error?
For ProctorU Live+ exams where the exam was not submitted, the proctor should be able to enter the exam password and let you back into the exam. If using ProctorU Auto, you should be able to re-enter the exam without the password. If the exam submitted prematurely, please contact the course instructor.
What are ProctorU's hours?
ProctorU is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with the following exceptions: closed on Thanksgiving Day, December 24-26, and January 1.
What are the technical requirements for proctored exams? Are there special requirements for exams taken with ProctorU?
- All exams will be accessed online. A computer with Internet access must be available. Exams should not be taken on smartphones or tablets.
- Exams should be taken in a private, well-lit environment.
- Wireless Internet connections are not recommended.
- Web browser and operating system requirements can be found on the Technical Requirements page. The web browser must be configured to accept cookies.
- Additional equipment is required when taking PDF (written) exams.
What accommodations are available for students with disabilities?
Accommodations can be requested for students with disabilities. Please work with Disability Services for Students and your course instructor to determine possible accommodations.
Where can I find information on ProctorU's privacy and data security policies?
Data privacy and security information for ProctorU can be found below: