ProctorU for Online Semester-Based Courses
Many online courses require exams.
Proctors have the responsibility of facilitating fairness and integrity during testing situations. Exam information is noted in the course syllabus.
Students will use ProctorU in semester-based online courses that require proctored (monitored/supervised) exams. ProctorU is a live online proctoring service that allows students to take exams from anywhere using a webcam and Internet connection, with no additional fees. Review the technical requirements for online courses. Additional equipment is required when taking PDF (written) exams.
All students are expected to abide by the academic integrity guidelines as outlined in the UND Code of Student Life.
ProctorU Exam Steps
Step 1: Prepare for Your Exam
- Create a ProctorU account if you don't already have one.
- Visit the ProctorU portal to review the readiness guide and the technical equipment requirements to take an exam. If you are taking a math or online engineering course, please check your course syllabus for additional exam instructions.
- Test your equipment with ProctorU prior to your first exam. In addition to running the automated system check, it is
highly recommended that you chat with a ProctorU technician to fully test the functionality
of your system. This process will take approximately 20-30 minutes and will include:
- Connecting to a live proctor to install the ProctorU applet (necessary for communicating with your proctor).
- Resolving any issues with blocked ports or security firewalls.
- Shutting down applications that are running in the background on your computer such as: email, Skype, OneDrive, etc. These same applications may be turned off during your proctoring session, but they will connect again when you restart your computer after your proctoring session has ended.
- Review the Proctored Exam Guidelines below and the ProctorU Exam Readiness Guide to prepare your testing environment.
Step 2: Schedule Your Exam with ProctorU
- Visit the ProctorU portal when you are ready to schedule an exam.
- The time limit and allowable resources for each exam are posted in your Blackboard course and/or listed in the course syllabus.
- If you do not see your upcoming exam listed with ProctorU, please check your Blackboard course for exam availability dates or visit with your course instructor.
- Test your equipment with ProctorU, if you have not already done so.
Step 3: Take the Exam
When it is time for your appointment, sign in to the ProctorU portal, or access the portal within your Blackboard course by going to Tools from the course menu), and select ProctorU. Connect with your proctor to verify your identity and prepare for your exam. The process for starting your exam with ProctorU typically takes 15-20 minutes and may take longer if this is your first time using ProctorU. This time does not count towards your exam time limit.
Exams are accessed through Blackboard and are password protected; ProctorU will enter the password to begin the exam. If your exam is not available in Blackboard, please contact your course instructor.
Once the exam is completed and graded, you may view your score and feedback (when applicable) by going to My Grades in your Blackboard course.
For assistance, please contact ProctorU at 1-855-772-8678 or visit the ProctorU Help Center.
Proctored Exam Guidelines
- Students must take the exam in a private, well-lit room. There should be no one else in the room when taking the exam.
- The area where you will be taking the exam should be clear of any papers, notes, books, calendars, personal items (phone, purse, photos) and other unpermitted resources.
- Students will not be allowed to take the exam with books, notes, or reference aids of any kind unless specified in the exam instructions.
- ProctorU will verify the identity of the student (with a photo ID such as a driver’s license) before the exam is started.
- ProctorU will enter the password to allow access to the Blackboard exam. Students should not have access to the exam password.
- Students are not allowed to open any browsers or computer files during an online exam, unless specified in the exam as a permitted resource.
- ProctorU will monitor the student until he or she is finished with the exam and make sure the student does not leave the room, except for an emergency.
- Do not print, copy, or retain the exam.
- If you have technical problems while taking the exam, ProctorU will troubleshoot exam problems.
For full exam guidelines, read the ProctorU Exam Readiness Guide.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have a question that isn't answered here? Please contact your instructor or UND Technical Support.
What is a proctor?
Proctors are individuals who agree to supervise examinations and meet the criteria set forth by the University of North Dakota. Proctors have the responsibility of facilitating fairness and integrity during testing situations.
Who can be my proctor?
Starting fall 2019, students will use ProctorU for proctored (monitored/supervised) exams in online semester based courses. Proctoring guidelines may vary by program. Please consult your course syllabus or course instructor for specific proctoring information.
My exam/quiz is not available, what should I do?
If the exam is not available in Blackboard, please contact your course instructor.
What if a student was kicked out of the exam or received a submission error?
If your exam was not submitted, ProctorU should be able to enter the exam password and let you back into the exam. If the exam submitted prematurely, please contact your course instructor.
What are ProctorU's hours?
ProctorU is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with the following exceptions: closed on Thanksgiving Day, December 24-26, and January 1.
What are the technical requirements for proctored exams? Are there special requirements for exams taken with ProctorU?
- All exams will be accessed online. A computer with Internet access must be available. Exams should not be taken on smartphones or tablets.
- Wireless Internet connections are not recommended.
- Web browser and operating system requirements can be found on the Technical Requirements page. The web browser must be configured to accept cookies.
- Additional equipment is required when taking PDF (written) exams.
What if an exam is not available for scheduling through ProctorU?
Check the Blackboard course site or contact the instructor to find out the exam availability dates.
What accommodations are available for students with disabilities?
Accommodations can be requested for students with disabilities. Please work with Disability Services for Students and your course instructor to determine possible accommodations. ProctorU does not charge for additional time for accommodated testing.