Exam Security for Semester-Based Courses
There are many options available for securing exams and the specific method used may vary based on the course/instructor.
Please check the course Blackboard site and/or course syllabus for specific exam information or contact your course instructor if you are not sure which method of exam security will be used.
ProctorU exams may be set up as Auto with Review (Review+) or Live+ proctoring service. Most courses that use ProctorU will use the Auto with Review or Review+ proctoring service, but you should verify with your instructor to be sure. View the ProctorU Student Training reocording below to learn more about both Auto with Review and Live+.
For this proctoring method, a live proctor is not present and you do not need to schedule an appointment. The session begins with an automated identity verification process. Your audio/video and screen are recorded throughout the exam. The exam recording is then reviewed by a professional ProctorU proctor and instructors are notified of any potential exam integrity issues.
Prepare for your Exam
- Review System Requirements
- Download Chrome or Firefox web browser
- Download the ProctorU Extension: Chrome or Firefox
- Access UND's ProctorU Single Sign-on page to create your account (new users) or sign in (existing users). On the UND Sign in
screen, use your same username and password that you use for Blackboard and click
- New Users: Once signed in, you will be prompted to fill in your address, phone number, and details to create your account. Do NOT change the email address that prefills for your account.
- Existing Users: If you are already signed into Blackboard or another UND system, you will be passed through to ProctorU.
- Run the automated system check.
- Take a practice exam in Blackboard. Go to the UND Student Resource Course in Blackboard and select Proctoring Options from the course menu. Take the ProctorU Auto with
Review Practice Quiz to make sure your equipment is working properly.
- You DO NOT schedule Auto with Review exams. When you are ready to take your exam, follow the steps below.
Take your Exam
- Go to blackboard.UND.edu and take your exam when it’s convenient for you
- Make sure you are using a browser with the ProctorU extension installed and running. Check to make sure you do not have other proctoring extensions installed/enabled.
- Log into Blackboard. Do not use blackbord.ndus.edu, as this is not a supported domain.
- Use the steps above to make sure you are signed into ProctorU. Log in using the ProctorU Single Sign-on page
- Once signed into ProctorU, go back to Blackboard and locate your exam in your Blackboard course. Click on the exam link and click Begin to get started. Pop-ups blockers must be disabled. If asked to allow ProctorU access, click "Allow".
- You should then see the ProctorU Welcome screen and begin the process of verifying your identity and testing your equipment. Note: Mac Catalina users may need to make these security setting adjustments in Chrome in order to proceed.
- If you are prompted for an exam password, you may not have the extension installed, may not be logged into ProctorU or may be using Blackboard.NDUS.edu instead of Blackboard.und.edu. Please use the link on the left to contact ProctorU support and notify them that you are taking a UND Auto with Review exam.
Certain time periods may not be available for scheduling when ProctorU experiences extremely high volumes of testing. Please schedule your exam appointment as far in advance as possible.
ProctorU Live+ is a live online proctoring service that allows students to take exams from anywhere using a webcam and Internet connection, while being supervised by a remote ProctorU proctor. Review your course syllabus or Blackboard site for more information. Please note: Additional equipment is required when taking PDF (written) exams.
Get Started with ProctorU Live+
- Create your ProctorU Account
- Download Chrome or Firefox web browser
- Download the ProctorU Extension: Chrome or Firefox
- Review Exam Readiness Guide
- Review System Requirements
- Test your Equipment and connect with a live technician for a full system check. This may take 25-30 minutes. Failure to do the full system check may result in delays when starting your exam.
- Schedule your Exam as early as possible. If you do not see your exam listed, contact your course instructor.
- Sign into ProctorU when it is time for your appointment. Exams will be accessed through Blackboard and ProctorU will input the exam password. Wait times may be longer than normal (up to 45-minutes to connect to a proctor) due to high volume as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
For assistance, please contact ProctorU at 1-855-772-8678 or visit the ProctorU Help Center.
ProctorU Exam Guidelines
- Students must take the exam in a private, well-lit room. There should be no one else in the room when taking the exam and students should not speak out-loud during the exam.
- The area where students will be taking the exam should be clear of any papers, notes, books, calendars, personal items (phone, purse, photos) and other unpermitted resources.
- Students will not be allowed to take the exam with books, notes, or reference aids of any kind unless specified in the exam instructions.
- ProctorU will verify the identity of the student (with a photo ID such as a driver’s license) before the exam is started.
- ProctorU will enter the password to allow access to the Blackboard exam. Students should not have access to the exam password.
- Students are not allowed to open any browsers or computer files during an online exam, unless specified in the exam as a permitted resource.
- Students may not print, copy, or retain the exam.
- ProctorU will troubleshoot exam problems that arise during the exam.
For full exam guidelines, read the ProctorU Exam Readiness Guide.
Respondus LockDown Browser
Respondus LockDown Browser is a custom browser that locks down the testing environment within Blackboard. When students use Respondus LockDown Browser they are unable to print, copy, go to another URL, or access other applications. When an assessment is started, the computer is locked into the exam until it is submitted for grading. Compatible with Mac and Windows.
YuJa Exam Proctoring allows the student to record video/audio and their computer screen while completing an exam. The recording is securely allocated to a centralized instructor folder which will avoid distribution of the exam recording by the student.
YuJa Proctoring with Respondus LockDown Browser
Respondus LockDown Browser can be used in addition to YuJa Proctoring for an extra layer of exam security.
- Some courses may allow use of in-person proctors or testing centers for proctored exams if no other options are available. Proctors are individuals who agree to supervise examinations and meet the criteria set forth by the University of North Dakota (see Proctor Policy below). Proctors have the responsibility of facilitating fairness and integrity during testing situations.
- Please visit with your course instructor or department to see if this option is available.
Please note that the College of Engineering and Mines has a specific proctoring policy. Please see your course syllabus to review that proctor policy.
Proctors May Be
- Testing Centers
- School or Public Librarian
- K-12 Teachers or College/University Professors - with a verified school email address
- Educational Administrators (principal/superintendent) - with a verified school email address
- Adult Learning Centers
- Guidance Counselors
- Commanding Officers, Military Education Officers or Embassy Education Officers (for current military students and spouses)
Proctors May Not Be
- Teaching Assistants
- Human Resources Representative
- Direct Supervisors
- Direct Reports/Employees
- Colleagues at Same Level
- Athletic or Assistant Coaches
- Personal Tutors
- All exams will be accessed online. A computer with internet access must be available at the testing site where the exam is proctored. Wireless internet connections are not recommended. Web browser and operating system requirements can be found at Technology Requirements page. The web browser must be configured to accept cookies.
- Proctors must verify the identity of the student (with a photo ID such as a driver's license) and read all of the exam instructions to the student before he or she begins the exam.
- Proctors must closely monitor the student until he or she is finished with the exam and ensure the student does not leave the room, except for an emergency.
- To access online exam details (including the exam password), the proctor will log in to the UND Proctoring Web Portal and will be required to verify that he or she is accepting proctor responsibilities. Proctors will not give the student the password for online exams. The student will navigate to the exam in Blackboard and the proctor will enter the exam password when prompted.
- Students are not allowed to open any browsers or computer files during an online exam, unless otherwise specified. Exams should not be printed, unless it is a PDF exam taken with an in-person proctor.
- Students cannot take the exam with books, notes, or reference aids of any kind unless specified in the exam instructions. Students cannot take notes about the exam or attempt by any other means (e.g., by using a cell-phone camera or other electronic device) to copy any part of the exam.
- If the exam is specified as a PDF (printed) exam, proctors must collect all exam documents at the conclusion of the testing period. The completed exam documents should be scanned and uploaded into Blackboard. Some print exams need to be returned to UND by fax and/or by mail. Please check the specific exam instructions within the Blackboard course for details. When exams are required to be returned by mail, students must provide a stamped, addressed envelope for the proctor to mail the exam to UND.
- If the designated proctor is unable to proctor the exam, the student must complete another Proctor Designation Form. Proctors should not give an exam or exam password to another person or to the student and should not access/print the exam in advance.
Do you have a question that isn't answered here? Please contact your instructor or UND Technical Support.
My exam/quiz is not available in Blackboard, what should I do?
If the exam is not available in Blackboard, please contact your course instructor.
What if an exam is not available for scheduling through ProctorU?
Check the Blackboard course site or contact the instructor to find out the exam availability dates. Remember, if your course is using ProctorU Auto with Review, you do NOT schedule your exam.
What if I am kicked out of the exam or receive a submission error?
For ProctorU Live+ exams where the exam was not submitted, the proctor should be able to enter the exam password and let you back into the exam. If using ProctorU Auto, you should be able to re-enter the exam without the password. If the exam submitted prematurely, please contact the course instructor.
What are ProctorU's hours?
ProctorU is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with the following exceptions: closed on Thanksgiving Day, December 24-26, and January 1.
What are the technical requirements for proctored exams? Are there special requirements for exams taken with ProctorU?
- All exams will be accessed online. A computer with Internet access must be available. Exams should not be taken on smartphones or tablets.
- Exams should be taken in a private, well-lit environment.
- Wireless Internet connections are not recommended.
- Web browser and operating system requirements can be found on the Technical Requirements page. The web browser must be configured to accept cookies.
- Additional equipment is required when taking PDF (written) exams.
What accommodations are available for students with disabilities?
Accommodations can be requested for students with disabilities. Please work with Disability Services for Students and your course instructor to determine possible accommodations.