Proctoring for Online Semester-Based Courses
Many online semester-based courses have proctored exams. Exam information will be noted on the course syllabus. If proctored (monitored/supervised) exams are required to complete your course, you'll need to designate a proctor to administer and supervise those exams at a location near you. Please review the information below on the proctor policy and specific instructions for students, proctors, and instructors in using UND’s Proctoring Web Portal.
Self-Paced Enroll Anytime courses (independent study, nine month courses) and non-credit courses (such as Dietary Managers or Real Estate) follow a separate proctoring process. Proctoring information for these courses can be found on the Self-Paced Enroll Anytime, Dietary Managers, and Real Estate web pages.
This policy applies to online courses that follow the regular semester (Fall, Spring and Summer).
What is a proctor?
Proctors are individuals who agree to supervise examinations and meet the criteria set forth by the University of North Dakota. Proctors have the responsibility of facilitating fairness and integrity during testing situations.
Students must first receive permission from an individual before designating him or her as their proctor. Please note that students are responsible to pay for any fees that proctors may charge for their services.
After designating a proctor, the proctor must accept the proctor role. Prior to the exam, students should confirm that the proctor has accepted the role and schedule an exam appointment with the proctor. Prior to the exam, the proctor will log into the UND Proctoring Web Portal to access exam details and exam passwords. Proctors will only need to be designated once per course. To change a proctor, a student must designate a new proctor within the proctoring portal.
Who can be a proctor?
Proctors may be:
- UND Testing Services in Grand Forks, ND
- ProctorU live online proctoring service. Check your Blackboard course site or contact the instructor to find out if ProctorU is an option for the course.
- School or Public Librarian
- K-12 Teachers or College/University Professors - with a verified school email address
- Educational Administrators (principal/superintendent) - with a verified school email address
- Local College Testing Center Staff
- Adult Learning Centers
- Guidance Counselors
- Commanding Officers, Military Education Officers or Embassy Education Officers (for current military students and spouses)
Proctors may NOT be:
- Teaching Assistants
- Human Resources Representative
- Direct Supervisors
- Direct Reports / Employees
- Colleagues at Same Level
- Athletic or Assistant Coaches
- Personal Tutors
Do you have a question that isn't answered here? Please contact your instructor or UND Technical Support.
It is UND Tech Support's policy not to make assessments available or change course settings without instructor approval. Students should contact their instructor with quiz/exam availability questions.
- Proctors will log into the UND Proctoring Web Portal and click on Exam Details to access exam information and passwords.
- If the course/exam is not listed under Exam Details, then it may be that the proctor has not yet accepted the proctor role for that course. Within the UND Proctoring Web Portal, the proctor can click on Review Designations to accept any pending requests. Exam passwords will not be given over phone or chat.
- If the proctor has already accepted the role and there are no exams listed under Exam Details, then it may be that the instructor has not yet posted the exam information or it is outside the exam window. Exam Details will only appear within the window of ten days prior to the exam start date and three days after the exam end date.
- If the exam password has not been set up in the proctoring site or if there is a discrepancy in exam dates, the instructor will be contacted. No changes will be made without instructor approval.
- If the exam is proctored and the student is with his/her proctor and the exam has not been submitted, contact UND Tech Support immediately so the student can be let back into the exam. The instructor will be notified of the issue.
- For paper based exams, if the exam submitted before the proctor printed the examthen multiple attempts can be added to allow the proctor to print the exam. Stay with the proctor and contact UND Tech Support immediately.
- For exams where questions are listed within Blackboard, if the exam submitted before completion, UND Tech Support will contact the instructor as to how to proceed. Tech Support will not delete the student attempts or add multiple attempts without instructor permission.
- If the exam is not proctored or the student is no longer with the proctor, the student will need to work with the instructor.
- Students who do not see a course within the Course List on the Proctor Designation site should verify they are enrolled in the online section of the course. On-campus courses will not appear in the course list.
- Courses will appear in the course list approximately two business days after registering for the course in Campus Connection. Students who have recently registered for an online course, should allow two business days for the course to appear in the list.
- ProctorU is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with the following exceptions: closed on Thanksgiving Day, December 24th-26th, and January 1st.
- All exams will be accessed online. A computer with Internet access must be available at the testing site where the exam is proctored. Exams should not be taken on smartphones or tablets.
- Wireless Internet connections are not recommended.
- Web browser and operating system requirements can be found on the Technical Requirements page. The web browser must be configured to accept cookies.
- A webcam and microphone will be required for using ProctorU. Install and test webcam and microphone functionality prior to taking the exam.
- Special equipment is required when taking PDF (printed) exams. Check with your instructor to find out if the course will use PDF exams.
- For individual proctors, a printer will be required to print a copy of the exam. The exam should not be printed prior to exam start date/time. A scanner should also be available to upload the completed exam into Blackboard.
- For ProctorU, the student will need approved equipment, which includes a touchscreen laptop (w/stylus) to write on top of the PDF exam and an externally mounted web cam.
- Review the full list of required equipment and testing instructions in the Blackboard Student Resource Course under the Taking Tests menu item.
- Check the Blackboard course site or contact the instructor to find out if ProctorU is an option for the course. The exam typically is not available for scheduling until approximately 10 days prior to the exam start date.
- ProctorU is available primarily for online/distance/hybrid courses. On campus courses typically are not available through ProctorU. If an exam is in PDF format (printed), special equipment is required and must be tested/approved before the exam will be made available for scheduling.
- Accommodations can be requested for students with disabilities.
- Please work with Disability Services for Students and your course instructor to determine possible accommodations.
- ProctorU does not charge for additional time for accommodated testing.