Getting Started with VoiceThread
VoiceThread has many potential uses for both in-person and online classes. Plus, because both faculty and students have access to create VoiceThreads, students can create their own content for assignments.
- Narrate a PowerPoint presentation with audio or video.
- Pose a question or topic and use it as a visual discussion board.
- Encourage student to student interactions.
- Create digital stories by narrating over images, videos and slides. Or, create collaborative stories with VoiceThread's collaboration features.
- Upload video to VoiceThread and gather reflections.
- Practice a foreign language.
- Evaluate, review or critique an idea or a student presentation.
Once you open the tool in Blackboard, it will automatically log you in to their site.
- Go to a content area in Blackboard.
- Click on Tools.
- Select VoiceThread – UND.
- A new window will open to name the link and put in a description. You can attach documents, have it graded, select availability, select the dates available, and tracking. Click Submit.
- After you have created the link to VoiceThread, you will then click the link.
- A new window will open and you will be in VoiceThread Setup or the configuration portion.
- There are 3 non-graded links
- Course View – takes you into your course group on VoiceThread
- Home - Homepage
- Individual VT – How you share specific threads
- There are 3 graded links if you chose this option earlier in the setup called enable
evaluation. You will then need to put in a number for points possible and this will
connect to your gradebook. You will then need to tell it where to connect these points
to. Click on the graded link you just created and now you can configure it. A new
window will open. Select Assignment Builder. Then select from the three types
- Create a VoiceThread – students create a VoiceThread of some type
- Submit a Comment – can require an amount of comments
- Watch a VoiceThread – students just watch the VoiceThread
- There are 3 non-graded links
- Once you choose what type of link you want to show the students, you can create your VoiceThread with Audio, Video, and share documents on your computer.
Outside of the Blackboard System
- Navigate to und.voicethread.com.
- Click Sign in in the upper right corner.
- Enter your NDUS username and password, then click Sign In. *If you get a screen asking for Federation Consent, click Yes.
VoiceThread is a cloud application, so there is no software to install. The only system requirement is an up-to-date version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. VoiceThread will run in your web browser and on almost any internet connection.
See the Web Application help articles for more information.
With VoiceThread Mobile, all of your content is available on your iOS or Android mobile device. Download the app and sign into your account to:
- Capture images from your camera or upload them from your photo library.
- Flip through slides with the flick of a finger and annotate while you narrate.
- Share VoiceThreads as easily as sending an email.
- Receive notifications for new comments on your VoiceThreads.
- Access the extensive catalog of existing content on VoiceThread.com.
See the Mobile App help articles for more information.
TTaDA offers a variety of professional development workshops and events for faculty and staff focused around four competency areas: Personal & Professional Development, Policy & Procedure, Software & Technology and Teaching & Learning. Check out the Upcoming Sessions for available session dates and times. You can also attend a VoiceThread workshop or watch a recording of a previous workshop offered by VoiceThread.
We also offer workshops and specialized training to departments on a variety of topics. Please contact us for more information or to schedule a session.
A team of Instructional Designers are available to provide assistance to instructors, administrators and staff. Whether you need to develop a full course or program, review and revise an existing course, or flip all or part of your course, Instructional Designers are here to help. We provide instructional design assistance for fully online, flipped, hybrid, blended and traditional face-to-face courses. If instructors have any questions or concerns about a course, we are available in person, over the phone, by email, or through web-conferencing tools.
UND Tech Support provides support to students, faculty and staff to provide technology tools for success in and outside of the classroom.