Student Employment

UND’s Student Employment program is designed to provide part-time job opportunities to students in an effort to help finance their college education and to gain educational benefit.

Work experience allows students to explore career options, discover strengths, and see how academic learning applies to the world of work.  We hope to help make the student employment experience a rewarding one.

UND is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in education and employment and does not discriminate on the basis of race; color; national origin; religion; sexual orientation; gender identity; genetic information (GINA); sex; age; creed; marital status; veteran's status; political belief or affiliation; or physical, mental or medical disability (unrelated to the ability to engage in activities involved with the job).

Types of Jobs

Federal Work Study (FWS) may be available to you as a student if you demonstrate financial need through your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).

A work study award indicates that you are eligible to seek FWS employment; however, it is not a guarantee of a job. The average FWS award is $3,000 per academic year.

Jobs span across the entire campus and to some eligible off-campus employers as well.

View UND Federal Work Study Jobs

To apply for a FWS position, students must:

  • Have an accepted Federal Work Study award on Campus Connection (please allow 24-48 hours after accepting for the information to load into the system)
  • Be enrolled in 6 credits or more
  • Be free of any financial aid holds including but not limited to Verification, Documentation and be meeting Student Academic Progress standards as defined by the university
  • If you do not have a FWS award offered to you on Campus Connection, you may request to be considered, provided you have already completed the FAFSA. To submit a request please contact One Stop Student Services:

One-Stop Student Services
Memorial Union
2901 University Avenue Stop 7124
Grand Forks, ND 58202-7124
T:  701.777.1234 | F: 701.777.6931

Not eligible for Federal Work Study? No problem! Any UND student can be employed as an Institutional student employee.

Institutional employment is offered to students enrolled in at least 1 credit. It is not based on financial need.

Positions are available on campus and wages vary depending on the job. International students may apply for these positions.

View Institutional Employment Jobs

Students may also work on campus during the summer. Students working under Institutional Employment may do so as long as they were enrolled in at least one credit for the previous spring, current summer or the upcoming fall. If you are not yet enrolled for fall you must intend to enroll.

Financial Aid will consider you for a summer FWS award after you enrolled in 6 or more credits for the summer term. Students working under the FWS program for the summer must have accepted their summer FWS award on Campus Connection.

Both FWS and Institutional students may work up to 40 hours during the summer beginning May 16 and ending August 15. Your supervisor will inform you of the availability of hours. Students graduating may not work past the date of graduation.

It is preferred that you work on campus while attending UND. Students who work on campus are shown to perform better in their classes, are more engaged in UND student life, and benefit from flexible work schedules. If you prefer to work off campus, check out the opportunities listed on Handshake: