Study the building blocks of the universe and prepare for an exciting career at the forefront of scientific discovery.
Almost every area of cutting-edge science and technology today relies on a strong understanding of chemical principles. A major in Chemistry from UND gives you tools to succeed in any aspect of this dynamic field.
- Program type:
- Est. time to complete:
- 4 years
- Credit hours:
- 120 (major); 20 (minor)
Why Study Chemistry at UND?
From everyday objects to elements of the cosmos, our world is made up of infinitesimally small molecules and atoms. With a B.S. in Chemistry from UND, you'll study these universal building blocks, engage in your own research and prepare to advance scientific knowledge.
UND offers several options in chemistry:
- The B.S. in Chemistry is certified by the American Chemical Society (ACS) and provides excellent preparation for graduate or professional work in chemistry.
- The B.S. with a major in Chemistry offers two distinct tracks — physical science and biochemistry — both of which provide flexibility in choosing electives.
- The combined Major and Master's degree in Chemistry allows you to accelerate your career by earning two degrees in just five years.
- The minor in Chemistry is an excellent complement to any major.
Whichever track you choose, you'll gain a strong foundation in chemical principles and prepare to make your mark in research, teaching, industry and beyond.
Leaders in Action
With more than 250 student organizations and a full calendar of events, the opportunities at UND are endless.
Engage in collaborative research with graduate students and faculty.
Participate in our Undergraduate Chemistry Club and other activities.
Learn alongside experienced instructors who regularly publish peer-reviewed research.
Work with state-of-the-art instrumentation.
From pioneering new discoveries to teaching the next generation, a chemistry degree from UND opens the door to a world of possibilities. Here are just a few:
- Chemical Engineering
- Chemical Information Management Specialist
- Forensic Chemistry
- Quality Control
- Science Policy
- Water Chemistry
A degree in chemistry also provides a great foundation for further coursework in fields such as medicine and law. Recent graduates from UND have pursued graduate studies at schools including:
- University of California, Berkeley
- University of Utah
- University of Minnesota
- University of Indiana
UND Chemistry Alumni
Chemistry alumni have gone on to a variety of successful careers with:
- University of Minnesota
- Corning, Inc.
- Purdue University
- University of North Carolina
- United States Department of the Navy