Explore the power of language and literature and prepare to make your mark in teaching, marketing, publishing and more.
Language and literature are central to the human experience, and communication skills are vital to any endeavor. As an M.A. student in English at UND, you’ll gain a deeper understanding of literature, creative writing, composition and rhetoric — and prepare for a dynamic career.
- Program type:
- Master's Degree
- Est. time to complete:
- 2 years
- Credit hours:
- 30 (thesis option) or 32 (non-thesis option)
Why Study English at UND?
Small class sizes, individual attention from faculty and thorough preparation for a demanding professional environment are just a few reasons students choose to enroll at UND. Among our program's many features:
- Our graduate-level seminars cover a variety of exciting topics in which you'll engage with professional and public audiences.
- The program will help you make sense of English as discipline - even as it allows you to explore topics of your own interest.
- Extensive support, along with graduate teaching assistant appointments for qualified students, prepares you for a number of professional opportunities.
- In the thesis track, you will research and write an in-depth thesis on a particular topic and begin to position yourself as an expert in the field.
Our master's program offers two options for a final project. A thesis allows you to produce a research-based study on a topic related to an area of general interest. The portfolio option allows you to put together a collection of pieces to showcase multiple genres, themes, and research techniques.
Both paths build advanced skills in textual analysis, research, and writing, as well as teach you how to prepare others for their own complex learning journeys.
There is also an opportunity to travel if desired. A partnership with the American College of Norway provides opportunities for up to two students per year to spend a semester in Moss, Norway.