Teaching and Learning (Ph.D.)
Pursue research to shape the next generation of professionals.
College students and professionals seeking higher education require expert leadership, mentoring and support from faculty. With a doctoral degree in teaching and learning from the University of North Dakota, you'll have the opportunity to conduct cutting-edge research and study the educational practices needed to prepare you for an influential position. The Ph.D. program emphasizes original research and scholarship.
- Program type:
- Doctoral Degree
- On-campus or offcampus
- Est. time to complete:
- 3-5 years
- Credit hours:
Why Study Teaching and Learning at UND?
The Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in teaching and learning is awarded in recognition of creative scholarship and research. In contrast to the Ed.D. degree which stresses professional practice, the Ph.D. focuses on intensive study in an area of concentration.
Our doctoral program offers three specializations:
- Higher Education — Preparation to be a college or university professor of an academic discipline
- Teacher Education — Preparation to be an educator of teachers at a college or university and/or an educational specialist for teachers in PK-12 schools.
- Instructional Design and Technology — Preparation to become teachers, researchers and/or scholars with a focus on understanding curriculum design, human learning and the integration of technology.
Higher Learning Commission
Candidates take 6 credits of foundations courses, 12 credits of scholarly tools and 12 credits in a minor or cognate area.
Our residency requirement provides for immersion in a research environment.
Graduates from the program work at universities, community colleges, tribal colleges, in private industry and for nonprofit or government agencies that research and recommend educational practices and policy.
They become professors, researchers, scholars, school district resource personnel, educational specialists or instruction designers.
Recent graduates have been hired as program directors, assistant, associate & full professors, associate deans, deans, presidents at colleges and universities in North Dakota, the region, the U.S. and abroad.
When You earn a Ph.D. in Teaching & Learning
A doctorate in Teaching & Learning gives you the strategic skills you need, including:
- Curriculum Development
- Adult Education
- Grant Writing
- Software Development Life Cycle
- Higher Education
- Event Planning
UND Teaching & Learning Alumni
Teaching & Learning alumni have gone on to a variety of successful careers with:
- Bemidji State University
- Minnesota State University-Moorhead
- University of Mary
- Missouri River Educational Cooperative