Accommodations & Resources
Disability accommodations are necessary to provide access to university programs, services, and facilities. Reasonable accommodations are typically changes in how a task or activity is accomplished or an alteration to the environment.
Reasonable disability accommodations:
- Remove or decrease access barriers
- Do not decrease academic standards or essential requirements
- Do not fundamentally alter the nature of the course
How to Effectively Use Your Accommodations
Your Eligibility for Accommodations email sent by Accessibility for Students verifies your need for disability accommodation(s). It also lists recommended accommodations that have been discussed with Accessibility for Students and appear reasonable.
Once you receive your Eligibility for Accommodations email, it is your responsibility to contact each professor to make arrangements or discuss alternatives.
Let Your Eligibility for Accommodations Email Guide Your Discussion
- Students are encouraged to schedule a time to meet with faculty to discuss the implementation of the accommodation(s) and answer any questions or concerns.
- Be prepared; think about what you will discuss. You may use your Eligibility for Accommodations email as support in your discussion with faculty. If you are unsure, discuss with your Access Coordinator in Accessibility for Students.
- You may be asked to provide your Eligibility for Accommodations email to your faculty to support your requests.
- Focus on your accommodations, not your disability.
- You do not need to disclose your diagnosis to faculty in order to receive accommodations; however, you should be able to explain how the accommodation gives you access or removes a barrier to your learning.
- Be open to suggestions or comments from faculty. Accommodations often require a collaborative effort and professors may be able to offer creative suggestions for implementing accommodations.
- Include a disability access statement on each course syllabus.
- You may ask to see the students Eligibility for Accommodations email which lists recommended accommodations for the current semester to verify the student is registered with Accessibility for Students.
- Discuss and implement the student's request for reasonable accommodations.
- If unsure how to respond to an accommodation request consult with Accessibility for Students.
Accessibility for Students Responsibilities
- Verify a student's eligibility for reasonable accommodation
- Assist students with managing specific accommodations.
- Assist faculty in providing equal access in the classroom to students with disabilities while maintaining academic standards.
- Obtain an Eligibility for Accommodations email from Accessibility for Students.
- Discuss and make necessary arrangements for accommodations with faculty.
- Notify instructor or Accessibility for Students of problems or concerns with accommodations.