RMs work in the Housing Apartments to assist residents with apartment needs.
This is a part-time, non-benefitted position. Only UND students who have lived on-campus for a minimum of one semester are eligible to be hired in this position. No previous staff experience is required.
For full consideration, applications must be received by 11:59 p.m. on 3/19 and include the following materials:
- Cover Letter
- Two Reference Forms submitted by 3/19
- Resident Manager 2023-2024 Questionnaire
Please include in application if you are currently or have in the past 12 months been employed with the University of North Dakota, the North Dakota University System, or any other North Dakota State agency. If so, include which agency/department, as well as your how many hours you work a week and in the past 12 months.
Deadline To Apply is March 19, 2023
Two rounds of interviews will take place:
- First Round: March 21-March 24
- Second Round: March 27-March 31
RM Job Description
The Resident Manager (RM) is a student staff member of the Office of Housing & Residence Life. Resident Managers reside in an assigned on-campus apartment and work closely with a Resident Director (RD) to oversee the day-to-day apartment community management. Responsibilities include developing a community atmosphere, providing campus resources to residents, planning community events, addressing maintenance and policy concerns, and completing administrative tasks such as check-ins and checkouts. Resident Managers will need energy, self-discipline, and commitment. Among the skills and/or characteristics required are good judgment, ability to work under pressure and with a diverse apartment community, time management, self-initiative, flexibility, critical thinking, and effective communication.
Duties and Responsibilities
Actively promote and strive to develop community atmosphere among University Apartment residents.
- Promote interaction among residents through programs, introductions at Monthly Meals, etc.
- Coordinate events, programs, and area socials as directed by the Resident Director (RD)
- Actively promote and participate in housing organization activities and programs
- Participate in departmental activities and committees (i.e., staff selection, training, ongoing and annual program events)
Communicate with and serve as a liaison between residents and staff of University Housing.
- Be available to your community for residents during commonly accessible hours such as afternoons and evenings
- Write reports and document meetings and incidents
- Attend weekly staff meeting
Management and Administration
- Enforce and explain the apartment lease and all policies proactively during check-ins and Welcomes.
- Mediate resident conflicts in a manner that is timely and provide proper follow-up and referral when appropriate.
- Report to the leaseholder, as directed by supervisors, all conduct and behavioral problems associated with their household.
- Conduct assigned apartment check-ins and checkouts.
- Required to make weekly rounds of each assigned property/building looking for safety concerns, maintenance items, lighting, cleaning needs, and lease violations.
Requirements & Competencies
- Must be eligible for employment through the UND Institutional Employment
- Must be enrolled as a student at UND for Fall 2023
- Required to complete a minimum of 6 credit hours per semester (except summer)
- Must maintain a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.5
- Must meet the apartment lease eligibility requirement and reside in assigned apartment throughout the terms of their employment
- Must be 18 years of age or older by June 1, 2023
- Applicants may not hold outside employment, internship, CFI, or student teach during their term of employment
- Successful completion of criminal history background check
- Verification of college course cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher at start of employment
- Verification of student conduct good standing at start of employment
- Prior leadership experience preferred
- No prior residence life experience required
Work Location & Benefits
- Anticipated starting timeline for the position is June 2023
- UND Apartment and Apartment Style Housing
- $475 monthly salary plus a room waiver equivalent to the current rate of assigned apartment.
Hours & Schedule
RM position is based on a 15-hour work week. This will vary from week to week based on the variable nature of the job tasks. Work is required during University Break Periods. The position is demanding in time and effort and availability is a large part of being a successful RM. A work week is typically defined as Sunday-Saturday. RMs are responsible for managing their work week. More specifically, this position involves:
- Developing community within the apartment areas
- Hosting programming events
- Following up with any facilities and maintenance concerns
- Attending weekly staff meetings
- Scheduling and attending bi-weekly meetings with supervisor
- Serving in an on-call duty rotation
Additional Housing & Residence Life employment opportunities may be available to Resident Managers for 5 to 7 hours per week at the Apartment Community Center (ACC) Desk. Resident Managers who choose to work the ACC Desk will be compensated separately on hourly basis. Typical desk hours are Monday – Friday from 10 a.m. – 7 p.m. and Saturday – Sunday from 12 – 4 p.m.
The University of North Dakota determines employment eligibility through the E-Verify system: What is E-Verify? New employees to the University of North Dakota must present specific identification to determine their employment eligibility no later than their first day of work. To view the identification required, please see the List of Acceptable Documents . You will be required to have one item from List A OR one item from List B and List C.