Frequently Asked Questions

The School of Graduate Studies is open from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. If you have questions, you are welcome to email us or call using UND's toll free number: 1-800-CALL-UND. Our office is located in Room 205 Twamley Hall, 264 Centennial Drive, Grand Forks.

No, it is not possible for us to give out grades and test scores over the telephone. We need verification information to ensure we are giving this information out to the appropriate individual. Grades are available on CampusConnection. For all other confidential information, you will need to come in and show identification.

No, this is not a School of Graduate Studies' requirement, unless you are utilizing University services. However, some departments do require continuous enrollment so you do not lose your standing within the department. Check with your department for this requirement. You will need to be enrolled the semester you graduate.

You will also need to file a Leave of Absence form if you are not enrolled for the fall or spring semester (summer semester does not count as a break in enrollment). If you do not file a Leave of Absence, you will be required to submit a Readmission Application and $35 before you can register.

Your main goal as a graduate student should be to complete courses pertinent to your program of study. Some programs allow students to take undergraduate courses in their cognate, and it is understood that the student will be required to do additional work, over and above that typically required of undergraduates.

Graduate students do not have the option of electing S/U grading in either graduate or undergraduate courses, unless that is the only way they are offered.

If you can’t complete a course on time because of something beyond your control, you may request to receive an incomplete grade. Your instructor may allow this if they feel that there is reasonable certainty that you will successfully complete the course without retaking it. There is a form called, “Report of Incomplete Grade”, that will need to be completed by the instructor. Please be aware that the work needs to be completed by the specified deadline that your instructor indicates on this form.

Courses taken by graduate students, for which a grad of D, F, or U was received, may be repeated once for credit, with only the second grade to count in the grade point average. This option does not apply to students who have been dismissed. Contact the School of Graduate Studies so your transcript will be marked as a retake once the course is graded.

If you fall below a 3.00 GPA your record will be reviewed. Students having accumulated 12 or more credit hours will be placed on academic probation for one semester; students having accumulated fewer than 12 credit hours will be placed on academic probation until either (a) the GPA is raised to at least 3.00 (2.75 for M. Engr) or (b) 12 graduate credit hours are accumulated, whichever occurs first. If, at the end of the probationary period, the GPA is still less than 3.00 (2.75 for M. Engr.), the student will be dismissed. Students must maintain a 3.00 GPA to be eligible for assistantships.

To drop a course after the deadline, you must complete as Administrative Procedures petition. This form can be found on the School of Graduate Studies or the Registrar’s web sites. This form, with signatures and recommendations for approval or disapproval, must be brought to the School of Graduate Studies for the Graduate Dean’s signature. Explain clearly why you are requesting to drop a course after the deadline. Clearly specify the course and term you are requesting to drop. The administrative procedures committee will meet on these petitions throughout the semester, and you will be notified by letter.

For students to be considered full time the minimum credits taken is 9. To qualify for Federal Financial Aid you must be registered in a minimum of 5 credits (half-time status).

  1. Prerequisites not completed on time as stated in your admission letter.
  2. Enrolled in the maximum amount of 996 continuing enrollment credits
  3. Failure to complete certain admission stipulations (ex. GRE tests)
  4. Dismissals
  5. Special Permission to Register

UND is using the National Student Clearinghouse for loan deferments and enrollment verification. Enrollment verifications can be printed from your CampusConnection.

For tuition purposes, please see the section entitled, “Regulations regarding non-resident fees” in the Academic Catalog for information about North Dakota residency requirements.

Residency requirements for thesis.

ND residency is not to be confused with the department residency requirement. Students writing a thesis or research project are required to spend a minimum period of time in residence during their course of study. A student must be registered for at least 9 credits in a semester or be a graduate teaching or research assistant. Please check with your department on your particular residency requirement, as not all departments have this requirement.

Complete the form “Request for New Advisor or Committee Appointment” and submit to the graduate school with the proper signatures. Be sure the Graduate Director of your department also signs this form, or it will be sent back.

Complete the “Request for Change of Advisor or Committee Appointment” and submit to the School of Graduate Studies with the proper signatures. Be sure the Graduate Director of your department also sings this form, or it will be sent back.

After consulting with your advisor, fill out the form “Changes to a Program of Study.” After your advisor signs the form, submit it to the School of Graduate Studies for the Dean’s approval. Do not submit a new program of study, unless there are major changes.

As you develop your program of study, work with your advisor on making this choice. If you change your option, you will need to submit a new advisor or committee appointment, program of study and topic proposal. Do not enroll in thesis credits until you are sure of this option. If a change has been made after you have enrolled, a permanent SP or UP for thesis credits already taken will be recorded on your transcript, and you will need to enroll for the non-thesis course. No change can be made the same semester you are graduating.

Yes, they will remain an incomplete until your final copy is finished. A grade of “SP” Satisfactory Progress, or “UP” Unsatisfactory Progress, will be assigned. The “SP” or the “UP” grade, which usually span several semesters, will be replaced by a grade at the conclusion of the activity, usually a student’s final semester. Grades of “SP” or “UP” are not calculated into term or cumulative GPA values and will be expunged from the record upon submission of final grades.

The Topic Proposal is a summary of the student’s Dissertation, Thesis, Independent Study, Project Design, or Scholarly Project. The form can be found on our web site under current students' forms.

The Style and Policy Manual is available on our website as a PDF document . All theses and dissertations are submitted electronically by the student for publishing with ProQuest/UMI. Please refer to our website for information regarding the electronic submission.

If you have finished all your courses on your program of study, you can enroll in 996 continuing enrollment (1-9 credits) to finish your independent study, thesis, or dissertation. A maximum of 6-9 credits for two semesters for master’s and four semesters for doctoral is allowed. The fee is $100 per credit. Do not enroll in more 998 thesis credits, or 999 dissertation credits than are on your program of study.

There is no submission fee for submitting your document electronically through ProQuest/UMI. The publishing fee is waived when submitting in this way. The only required charge when submitting your manuscript is $25 for a hard-bound copy to be kept at the Chester Fritz Library (price is subject to change). Other optional fees may be charged depending on the publishing agreement you choose and if you choose to register a copyright. You may also choose to order personal bound copies of your manuscript during the submission process for an additional fee. Please refer to our website for more information on the submittal process.

You need to be advanced to candidacy the semester before you plan to graduate. This means you need to be in approved status (not qualified or provisional), and your program of study and topic proposal need to be approved by the graduate school. Doctoral students also need to complete their comprehensive exams. You will receive a status sheet every time you turn in a form to the graduate school. When all the above is turned in and approved by the School of Graduate Studies, you will automatically be advanced to candidacy. You can then go online and apply to graduate. The link to the graduation application is on our website and the registrar’s office website. Please be aware of the deadlines, which are printed each semester on the Dates & Deadlines listed on the School of Graduate Studies website and the registrar’s office website. Deadlines are also found in the front of the UND academic catalog.

The UND commencement program lists all the students graduating and where they are from. Write down the name of the town or city that you want listed in program. This is only for the commencement program and does not change your address in CampusConnection.

Yes, graduate courses more than seven years old are considered obsolete and may not be counted to fulfill course requirement for an advanced degree program. Programs of study more than 7 years old also are obsolete. Obsolete UND graduate courses may be revalidated and may be counted toward an advanced degree on the recommendation of the student’s faculty advisory committee and the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies. The revalidation form is available on our web site. Graduate work from another institution, which is overage, cannot be revalidated and will not count towards a UND degree.