Introduction to Cultural Anthropology Online Course
In this Anthropology online course you'll examine the diversity and similarities across contemporary world societies.
- Online - Self-Paced Enroll Anytime
- EST. time to complete:
- 3 to 9 Months
- $370.08 per credit
Why take Introduction to Cultural Anthropology online?
This online course explores the origins and diversity of human cultures, to better understand ourselves and others and to enable us to function in and contribute to an increasingly interconnected, multicultural society and world.
Examine the diversity and similarities across contemporary world societies, including:
- Field work and ethnographic description
- Theoretical approaches
- Communication/human language
- Interrelationships between environment, technology, social and political organization, and worldview
- Sociocultural change
- Applied anthropology
Films and case studies illustrate intricacies of culture and how an anthropological perspective provides insights about our own society/culture.
Recent surveys of employers show job seekers need to be skilled in communication and able to work in diverse groups, making Anthropology 171 a good foundation for those pursuing careers in:
- applied social sciences
- health sciences
- and more
What are my outcomes when finishing the Introduction to Cultural Anthropology online course?
By the end of the online course students should be able to
- Understand and use concepts like culture, diversity, ethnicity and race.
- Understand the comparative, holistic and integrative nature of anthropology.
- Use an anthropological perspective to apply critical thinking and comparative analysis to anthropological and globalization issues.
- Appreciate human cultural diversity, as well as how and why it changes over time.
- Grapple with ethical problems encountered in researching cultural issues.
Additionally, students will have a chance to sharpen their communication skills and broaden their knowledge base. For example, students will use class concepts such as institutional racism, class, caste and ethnic identity to evaluate how these concepts explain and provide solutions to recent world problems. Students will also do cross cultural analysis of other issues such as circumcision, gender issues, climate change and how these play out in recent news events.
What is required to take this online course?
Cultural Anthropology in a Globalizing World by Barbara Miller (3rd edition, 2011) published by Pearson (ISBN-13: 978-0205786367)
How long will it take to complete the Introduction to Cultural Anthropology course?
You have 3 to 9 months from your enrollment date to complete:
- 10 Lessons
- 3 Proctored Exams
How will the course appear on my transcript?
You may enroll at any time and have 3-9 months to complete this online course. The college credits you earn will be recorded on your transcript in the semester you register.
Why Take Online Classes at UND?
Here are a few reasons why you should take an online enroll anytime course at UND:
- Great customer service – Our registration team is ready to answer questions quickly so you can focus on your coursework.
- Affordable – UND's enroll anytime courses are priced at North Dakota's affordable, in-state tuition rate.
- Accredited – UND is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
- Easily transfer credits – Transferring credits is always at the discretion of the institution to which the credits are being transferred. In general, credits from schools/universities that are regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission transfer to other regionally accredited institutions. UND's online courses appear on your UND transcript in the same way as other courses.
Flexible 100% Online Course
You'll take this online course at your own pace. Some students thrive in this environment, while other students may struggle with setting their own deadlines. If you have successfully taken an independent study or correspondence course previously, UND’s enroll anytime courses may be right for you. Still not sure? Take our online quiz to help determine if online enroll anytime courses are right for you.
Course information including tuition, technology requirements, textbooks, lessons and exams is subject to change without notice.