Introduction to the Visual Arts
Art 110, the study of visual arts online, includes an analysis of artistic methods and meaning in the visual arts.
- Online - Self-Paced Enroll Anytime
- EST. time to complete:
- 3 to 9 Months
- $342.16 per credit (no fees)
About the Introduction to the Visual Arts Online Course
Through this online course, you will become familiar with the terminology, techniques and creative processes used by visual artists. The visual arts encompass both two- and three-dimensional works. Two-dimensional works include image making in the form of drawing, painting, printmaking and photography. Three-dimensional artists create objects such as pottery, fiber works and sculpture.
Recently, artists have used the environment as a setting for their art or the earth itself as a medium to be manipulated. Some visual artists move closer to theater with performance pieces that involve human movement. Technological developments have introduced innovative and challenging visual artwork using computer imagery and photography. You will explore all of these varied and exciting aspects of the visual arts.
Humans have always used artmaking to express themselves, reflect on the human condition and inspire change. Artmaking forms a powerful connection between societies and cultures. To understand more fully the experiences of a given historical era, it is most helpful to examine the art. To understand a particular piece of artwork, you must consider it within its historical context. Artmaking and culture have coexisted and interconnected with one another throughout history.
Topics Covered in Art 110: Introduction to the Visual Arts
You have 3 to 9 months from your enrollment date to complete ten lessons. There are no exams.
- Lesson 1: Art, Subject Matter and Creativity
- Lesson 2: Analyzing Art
- Lesson 3: Drawing, Painting and Printmaking
- Lesson 4: Sculptures and a Craft Scavenger Hunt
- Lesson 5: Art Outside the U.S. Borders
- Lesson 6: Art Through Time
- Lesson 7: Renaissance-Era Art
- Lesson 8: Art from the Late 18th & 19th Centuries and Photography
- Lesson 9: 20th Century Art
- Lesson 10: Art in the Modern Day and Visiting an Art Gallery
Your grade for the course depends on completing and turning in all assignments as directed in each lesson. Successful completion of the exercises depends more on a willingness to commit time and effort to accurately follow directions than on innate artistic talent.
The final assignment is a paper in which you describe a single piece of artwork seen at an art exhibit. If you live in a remote area or are in the military, you may request a modification of this final assignment from your instructor.
Required Textbook & Materials for Course
Frank, Patrick, Duane Preble, and Sarah Preble. Prebles' Artforms. 11th edition (2013). Pearson. ISBN-13: 978-0-205-96811-4.
You must have the 11th edition of the textbook for this course - previous editions will not work. You do NOT need the online key that comes with some versions of this book.
How will the course appear on my transcript?
You may enroll at any time and have 3-9 months to complete this online course. The college credits you earn will be recorded on your transcript in the semester you register.
Why Take Online Classes at UND?
Here are a few reasons why you should take an online enroll anytime course at UND:
- Great customer service – Our registration team is ready to answer questions quickly so you can focus on your coursework.
- Affordable – UND's enroll anytime courses are priced at North Dakota's affordable, in-state tuition rate.
- Accredited – UND is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
- Easily transfer credits – Transferring credits is always at the discretion of the institution to which the credits are being transferred. In general, credits from schools/universities that are regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission transfer to other regionally accredited institutions. UND's online courses appear on your UND transcript in the same way as other courses.
Flexible 100% Online Course
You'll take this online course at your own pace. Take our online quiz to help determine if online enroll anytime courses are right for you.
Course information including tuition, technology requirements, textbooks, lessons and exams is subject to change without notice.