Introduction to the Visual Arts
ART 110, the study of visual arts online, includes an analysis of artistic methods and meaning in the visual arts.
- Online - Self-Paced Enroll Anytime
- EST. time to complete:
- 3 to 9 Months
- $384.88 per credit
About the Introduction to the Visual Arts Online Course
In this course you learn about the process of making art in many forms including drawing, painting, printmaking, digital imaging, sculpture, clay, metal, and fiber. You explore art made in the western world from ancient Greece to our modern day and the artistry of non-western cultures including Asia, Africa, and the Islamic world. You may also discover present day artists who are creating art work in your own community!
Some of the activities that students enjoy the most are making a photographic collage, going on a scavenger hunt, and analyzing a favorite movie. It is important to have a framework for analyzing a work of art. We will use a four-category evaluation process that helps you understand a work of art and see beyond “liking” or “not liking” art. Being able to use the visual elements and principles of design to discuss and analyze artwork leads you to a deeper understanding of the art.
How has art changed over the centuries and how has it stayed the same? Does today’s art have anything in common with Dada or Impressionist art? You will see many different styles of art and learn how art reflects and influences society. Artists exist in a cultural context and this influences their subjects and the materials and techniques they use. There are many threads that connect artists of the 21st century with those in previous eras. Over the centuries, artists have created a rich tapestry of personal expression and artistic achievement. Seeing and understanding this complex tapestry is the purpose of this course.
Topics Covered in Art 110: Introduction to the Visual Arts
You have 3 to 9 months from your enrollment date to complete the course. The course consists of ten lessons, with no exams:
- Lesson 1: Art, Subject Matter and Creativity
- Lesson 2: Two Paintings and a Movie
- Lesson 3: Drawing, Painting and Printmaking
- Lesson 4: A Crafty Scavenger Hunt
- Lesson 5: Art Outside the U.S. Borders
- Lesson 6: From Caves to Cathedrals
- Lesson 7: Art that Continues to Influence Us
- Lesson 8: Realism, Imagination, and the Camera's Eye
- Lesson 9: Exploring New Creative Paths
- Lesson 10: Artmaking in our Time
Required Textbook & Materials for Course
Frank, Patrick. Prebles’ Artforms: An Introduction to the Visual Arts. You can use either the 11th or 12th edition of the textbook for this course. You do not need the online key with the textbook if that is an option with the book.
How will the course appear on my transcript?
You may enroll at any time and have 3-9 months to complete this online course. The college credits you earn will be recorded on your transcript in the semester you register.
Why Take Online Classes at UND?
Here are a few reasons why you should take an online enroll anytime course at UND:
- Great customer service – Our registration team is ready to answer questions quickly so you can focus on your coursework.
- Affordable – UND's enroll anytime courses are priced at North Dakota's affordable, in-state tuition rate.
- Accredited – UND is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
- Easily transfer credits – Transferring credits is always at the discretion of the institution to which the credits are being transferred. In general, credits from schools/universities that are regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission transfer to other regionally accredited institutions. UND's online courses appear on your UND transcript in the same way as other courses.
Flexible 100% Online Course
You'll take this online course at your own pace. Some students thrive in this environment, while other students may struggle with setting their own deadlines. If you have successfully taken an independent study or correspondence course previously, UND’s enroll anytime courses may be right for you. Still not sure? Take our online quiz to help determine if online enroll anytime courses are right for you.
Course information including tuition, technology requirements, textbooks, lessons and exams is subject to change without notice.