Introduction to Drawing
The ART 230 online course covers the study and application of different drawing media, methods and techniques.
- Online - Self-Paced Enroll Anytime
- EST. time to complete:
- 3 to 9 Months
- $384.88 per credit
Why Take Introduction to Drawing Online?
In this online course, we explore the process of drawing using graphite pencils, charcoal, colored pencils, and pastels. The guided exercises provide an opportunity to improve your drawing skills and learn techniques to make drawing more enjoyable and easier.
You will learn many drawing skills including how to draw contour lines, perspective and size relationships, shading, and color. Whether you are drawing a chair, the corner of a room, another person, or a flower, the elements and principles of drawing are the same. By focusing on lines, shapes, relationships, and colors you can learn to trust what you see and render it accurately.
Drawing realistically is a powerful skill to have and no matter what your skill level when you begin the course, you will see marked improvement after just a few lessons. Being able to express an idea with a quick sketch and having the confidence to share it with other people, is a valuable communication tool no matter what field you are in.
Your improved drawing skills give you a greater appreciation of the art created by others. When you go to an art gallery or see artwork in someone’s home, you view it with new eyes. You can still decide whether you like a particular work of art or not, but your opinion is tempered by a deeper understanding of how the piece was created.
What Can I Expect from Introduction to Drawing?
You have 3 to 9 months from your enrollment date to complete ten lessons. There are no exams. Assignments include drawings, journal entries, and a research paper. The drawing exercises in the first six lessons are completed in the workbook while the drawing exercises in lessons seven through ten are not. In lessons one through six you use graphite pencils for your black and white drawings. In lessons seven, eight, and ten you use pastel sticks, and colored pencils in lesson nine.
What Are the Required Materials to Take This Online Course?
Textbooks, DVD, and Workbook
- Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, 4th Betty Edwards. ISBN 978-1-58542-920-2
- Color: A course in mastering the art of mixing colors. Betty Edwards. 2004. ISBN 978-1-58542-219-7
- The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain Workbook. 2nd edition. Betty Edwards. ISBN 978-1-58542-922-6
- Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain with Betty Edwards: Seven Lessons to Enhance Creativity and Artistic Self-Confidence. DVD. 1999 Betty Edwards
- #2 drawing pencil
- #4 graphite stick
- Charcoal pencil
- Set of 12 – 24 color pencils
- Set of 12 – 24 pastel sticks (chalk, not oil pastels)
- Blending stump (one or several different sizes)
- Eraser (grey, kneaded)
- Erasable (non-permanent) felt-tip pen in a dark color. Vis-à-vis is a good brand, not a Sharpie
- Permanent felt-tip marker such as a Sharpie in black
- Small can of fixative or (cheap) hairspray
- Pad of pastel or charcoal paper, 9 x 12”
- Packet of construction paper
- One square of wrapping paper, fabric, or wall paper (not needed until lesson 9)
- Three sheets of clear plastic
- Low tack masking tape
- Wall mirror
- Alarm clock or timer
- Drawing board or piece of foam core bigger than 9 x 12”
- Lamp or spot light
How will the course appear on my transcript?
You may enroll at any time and have 3-9 months to complete this online course. The college credits you earn will be recorded on your transcript in the semester you register.
Why Take Online Classes at UND?
Here are a few reasons why you should take an online enroll anytime course at UND:
- Great customer service – Our registration team is ready to answer questions quickly so you can focus on your coursework.
- Affordable – UND's enroll anytime courses are priced at North Dakota's affordable, in-state tuition rate.
- Accredited – UND is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
- Easily transfer credits – Transferring credits is always at the discretion of the institution to which the credits are being transferred. In general, credits from schools/universities that are regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission transfer to other regionally accredited institutions. UND's online courses appear on your UND transcript in the same way as other courses.
Flexible 100% Online Course
You'll take this online course at your own pace. Some students thrive in this environment, while other students may struggle with setting their own deadlines. If you have successfully taken an independent study or correspondence course previously, UND’s enroll anytime courses may be right for you. Still not sure? Take our online quiz to help determine if online enroll anytime courses are right for you.
Course information including tuition, technology requirements, textbooks, lessons and exams is subject to change without notice.