Introductory Chemistry Online Course
This course presents introductory chemistry topics.
- Online - Self-Paced Enroll Anytime
- EST. time to complete:
- 3 to 9 Months
- $384.88 per credit
About Introductory Chemistry Online Course
This course covers introductory chemistry topics such as measurement, ionic and covalent compounds, chemical calculations, states of matter, energy, solutions, reactions, chemical bonding, and acids and bases. After successfully completing this course, you should be able to:
- Use dimensional analysis to convert measurements to different units
- Understand the role chemistry plays in your everyday life
- Predict physical and chemical properties of elements
- Apply stoichiometric calculations to chemical reactions
- Recognize the role energy plays in chemistry
- Describe acids and bases in terms of pH, pOH, [H3O+], [OH-]
Students have 3 to 9 months to complete this course from the time of enrollment. You may work at your own pace and complete lessons on your own schedule, submitting up to three items per week for grading. This course contains 16 lessons, which includes 5 proctored exams. Each lesson contains a Modified MasteringChemistry Assignment and a quiz. There are also many instructor videos in each lesson. Lesson topics include:
- Chemistry, Matter, and Measurement
- Elements, Atoms, and the Periodic Table
- Ionic Bonding and Simple Ionic Compounds
- Covalent Bonding and Simple Molecular Compounds
- Introduction to Chemical Reactions
- Quantities in Chemical Reactions
- Energy and Chemical Processes
- Solids, Liquids, and Gases
- Acids and Bases
This course is accompanied by CHEM 115L: General Chemistry Laboratory.
Required Textbook and Materials
- Required e-text and homework system bundle: Fundamentals of General, Organic, and Biological Chemistry with Modified MasteringChemistry access McMurry, Pearson, 8th
ISBN-13: 9780134261287 The e-text and homework system bundle purchasing links are in the Blackboard course.
- A non-programmable calculator capable of exponential notation is required for exams.
How will the course appear on my transcript?
You may enroll at any time and have 3-9 months to complete this online course. The college credits you earn will be recorded on your transcript in the semester you register.
Why Take Online Classes at UND?
Here are a few reasons why you should take an online enroll anytime course at UND:
- Great customer service – Our registration team is ready to answer questions quickly so you can focus on your coursework.
- Affordable – UND's enroll anytime courses are priced at North Dakota's affordable, in-state tuition rate.
- Accredited – UND is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
- Easily transfer credits – Transferring credits is always at the discretion of the institution to which the credits are being transferred. In general, credits from schools/universities that are regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission transfer to other regionally accredited institutions. UND's online courses appear on your UND transcript in the same way as other courses.
Flexible 100% Online Course
You'll take this online course at your own pace. Some students thrive in this environment, while other students may struggle with setting their own deadlines. If you have successfully taken an independent study or correspondence course previously, UND’s enroll anytime courses may be right for you. Still not sure? Take our online quiz to help determine if online enroll anytime courses are right for you.
Course information including tuition, technology requirements, textbooks, lessons and exams is subject to change without notice.