Introduction to Organic and Biochemistry Lab Online Course
This is a self-paced course designed to build proficiency in laboratory techniques and give hands-on experience of concepts related to the Introduction to Organic and Biochemistry course.
- Chem 115 and Chem 115L, or CHEM 121 and CHEM 1121L
- CHEM 116: Introduction to Organic and Biochemistry
- Online - Self-Paced Enroll Anytime
- EST. time to complete:
- 3 to 9 Months
- $384.88 per credit
About Introduction to Organic and Biochemistry Lab
This is a self-paced course designed to build proficiency in laboratory techniques and give hands-on experience of concepts related to the Introduction to Organic and Biochemistry course. After successfully completing this course, you should be able to:
- Recognize and use common laboratory equipment
- Interpret safety risks associated with chemicals
- Apply safety rules to experimental protocols
- Perform experiments related to Introduction to Organic and Biochemistry
- Analyze experimental results
- Relate chemical and physical properties of materials to their molecular structure
- Synthesize simple organic and biochemical compounds
Take 3 to 9 Months to Complete Course
Students have 3 to 9 months to complete this course from the time of enrollment. You may work at your own pace and complete lessons on your own schedule, submitting up to three items per week for grading. This course contains 12 lessons designed to focus your study of Introduction to Organic and Biochemistry Lab and to assist you in achieving the course learning objectives/outcomes. This course is made up of a series of assessments which will be graded. You will work on a combination of reflections, quizzes, final exam, and experiments:
- There will be 11 experiments in the course. Each experiment will utilize materials from your Hands on Labs LabPaq Chemistry Kit.
- There is one quiz on safety in this course.
- There are 11 reflections in the course. The reflections are where you discuss your thoughts on the experiment, what went right or wrong, and how the experiment relates to chemistry in your everyday life.
- Final Exam: There is one final exam in this course. The final exam is comprehensive and will cover material from each lesson. The final exam is not proctored.
- Safety; Drawing Organic Compounds
- Stereochemistry 1 – Structural Isomers
- Properties of Alcohols
- Hydrolysis of Acetylsalicylic Acid
- Synthesis of Fragrant Esters
- Macromolecules of Life – Amino Acids
- Enzymes: Temperature, pH, and Specificity
- Macromolecules of Life – Monosaccharides and Polysaccharides
- Metabolism of Polysaccharides and Anaerobic Fermentation
- Synthesis and Analysis of Soap
- Extraction of DNA
Required Textbook and Materials
- LabPaq Chemistry Kit This course includes a laboratory component which you must complete at home by using the LabPaq kit provided by Hands-On Lab, Inc. LabPaqs may be returned for refund only under very strict conditions, and substantial restocking fees apply. Go to the HOL Lab Kit link in your Blackboard course menu for information on how to order your lab kit.
- Electronic Lab Notebook system The LabPaq kit comes with a complimentary electronic lab notebook system. The sign-in link will be provided through Blackboard. All the information pertaining to the LabPaq, including all the methods and procedures for individual experiments, the laboratory report templates, safety and MSDS, and additional information are provided through this site.
- A non-programmable calculator capable of exponential notation is required for exams.
How will the course appear on my transcript?
You may enroll at any time and have 3-9 months to complete this online course. The college credits you earn will be recorded on your transcript in the semester you register.
Why Take Online Classes at UND?
Here are a few reasons why you should take an online enroll anytime course at UND:
- Great customer service – Our registration team is ready to answer questions quickly so you can focus on your coursework.
- Affordable – UND's enroll anytime courses are priced at North Dakota's affordable, in-state tuition rate.
- Accredited – UND is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
- Easily transfer credits – Transferring credits is always at the discretion of the institution to which the credits are being transferred. In general, credits from schools/universities that are regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission transfer to other regionally accredited institutions. UND's online courses appear on your UND transcript in the same way as other courses.
Flexible 100% Online Course
You'll take this online course at your own pace. Some students thrive in this environment, while other students may struggle with setting their own deadlines. If you have successfully taken an independent study or correspondence course previously, UND’s enroll anytime courses may be right for you. Still not sure? Take our online quiz to help determine if online enroll anytime courses are right for you.
Course information including tuition, technology requirements, textbooks, lessons and exams is subject to change without notice.