General Chemistry I Lab Online Course
This laboratory course accompanies CHEM 121: General Chemistry I.
- Pre or Co-requisite:
- CHEM 121: General Chemistry I
- Online - Self-Paced Enroll Anytime
- EST. time to complete:
- 3 to 9 Months
- $384.88 per credit
About General Chemistry I Laboratory
Lessons contain learning objectives, a to-do list, a brief instructor video, and an experiment. Throughout the course, students will develop basic laboratory skills and record keeping. Students will:
- Adhere to instructions with respect to laboratory safety and to recognize hazardous situations and act appropriately.
- Recognize standard laboratory glassware and analytical equipment.
- Correctly carry out common laboratory procedures.
- Measure and report quantities with appropriate precision.
- Convert raw data to a physically meaningful form.
- Properly maintain a laboratory notebook with enough detail that others could repeat any of their experiments.
To be successful in this course, students must effectively prepare in advance for laboratory work. Throughout the course students plan and collect data to answer a scientific question, then analyze data to identify relationships and to effectively report the data. Students will make a claim and support that claim with evidence from the collected data, and recognize whether results and conclusions "make sense".
Students have 3 to 9 months to complete this course from the time of enrollment. You may work at your own pace and complete lessons on your own schedule, submitting up to three items per week for grading. This course contains 10 lessons which includes a non-proctored exam. The lesson experiments include:
- Lab Techniques and Measurement
- Observation of Chemical Changes
- Separation of a Mixture of Solids
- Acid/Base Chemistry
- Stoichiometry of a Precipitation Reaction
- Titration for Acetic Acid in Vinegar
- Caloric Content of Food
Required Textbook and Materials
- Hands on Lab (HOL) Student Lab Kit: Students can order their lab kit directly from HOL using the link provided in Blackboard.
- Textbook: Chemistry 2e, OpenStax, 2019. This e-text is free and accessed online via a link in Blackboard. If your would like a paper copy use ISBN-13 9781593995782.
- Student Solution Guide: Students may download the solution guide from the Blackboard course.
- Scientific Calculator
How will the course appear on my transcript?
You may enroll at any time and have 3-9 months to complete this online course. The college credits you earn will be recorded on your transcript in the semester you register.
Why Take Online Classes at UND?
Here are a few reasons why you should take an online enroll anytime course at UND:
- Great customer service – Our registration team is ready to answer questions quickly so you can focus on your coursework.
- Affordable – UND's enroll anytime courses are priced at North Dakota's affordable, in-state tuition rate.
- Accredited – UND is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
- Easily transfer credits – Transferring credits is always at the discretion of the institution to which the credits are being transferred. In general, credits from schools/universities that are regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission transfer to other regionally accredited institutions. UND's online courses appear on your UND transcript in the same way as other courses.
Flexible 100% Online Course
You'll take this online course at your own pace. Some students thrive in this environment, while other students may struggle with setting their own deadlines. If you have successfully taken an independent study or correspondence course previously, UND’s enroll anytime courses may be right for you. Still not sure? Take our online quiz to help determine if online enroll anytime courses are right for you.
Course information including tuition, technology requirements, textbooks, lessons and exams is subject to change without notice.