Communicating Science Online Course
This course is designed for upper-division students in the physical, biological, social, health and engineering sciences, as well as communication students interested in science communication.
- Junior or senior status (60+ hours)
- Online - Self-Paced Enroll Anytime
- EST. time to complete:
- 3 to 9 months
- $384.88 per credit
Why take Communicating Science?
This online course combines findings from research into information processing with best practices in media production to build student competency in communicating about science, scientific discoveries and the scientific process to general audiences through various media, as well as more specific audiences, such as funding organizations and policymakers. After successfully completing this course, students should be able to:
- Understand the deficit and identity models of science communication and the circumstances in which each will be more effective.
- Understand how audience characteristics — including how to discover audience characteristics — influence the processing of messages.
- Understand how goal-directed communication can result in greater success, and how to measure effectiveness.
- Demonstrate translation techniques for modifying science messages for different audiences.
- Gain confidence in using readily available communication technology to create messages.
Students have 3 to 9 months to complete this course from the time of enrollment. You may work at your own pace and complete lessons on your own schedule, submitting up to three items per week for grading.
This course contains 11 lessons designed to focus your study of science communication and to assist you in achieving the course learning objectives/outcomes. You will work through a combination of required readings, view captioned videos, complete lesson quizzes and assignments, and submit the final signature assignment. Lesson topics include:
- Science Communication Reconsidered
- Identifying Topics, Setting Goals: Think Small, Talk Big
- Audience Analysis: Who Are You Really Talking to and Why Won’t They Listen?
- Media Analysis: Matching Goals, Audience, and Delivery Format for Your Best Shot at Success
- Effective Social Media Communication
- Getting Started with the Signature Assignment
- Effective Poster Presentation
- Effective Oral Presentation with Visual Aids
- Science Communication in Practice
- Submission of Signature Assignment Paper and Presentation
Online Course Textbook
There is no required textbook. Assigned readings are provided within the course.
How will the course appear on my transcript?
You may enroll at any time and have 3-9 months to complete this online course. The college credits you earn will be recorded on your transcript in the semester you register.
Why Take Online Classes at UND?
Here are a few reasons why you should take an online enroll anytime course at UND:
- Great customer service – Our registration team is ready to answer questions quickly so you can focus on your coursework.
- Affordable – UND's enroll anytime courses are priced at North Dakota's affordable, in-state tuition rate.
- Accredited – UND is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
- Easily transfer credits – Transferring credits is always at the discretion of the institution to which the credits are being transferred. In general, credits from schools/universities that are regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission transfer to other regionally accredited institutions. UND's online courses appear on your UND transcript in the same way as other courses.
Flexible 100% Online Course
You'll take this online course at your own pace. Some students thrive in this environment, while other students may struggle with setting their own deadlines. If you have successfully taken an independent study or correspondence course previously, UND’s enroll anytime courses may be right for you. Still not sure? Take our online quiz to help determine if online enroll anytime courses are right for you.
Course information including tuition, technology requirements, textbooks, lessons and exams is subject to change without notice.