View of Earth and Planets Online College Course
Geology 111, an online course on the Earth, provides an introduction to the Solar System.
- Online - Self-Paced Enroll Anytime
- EST. time to complete:
- 3 to 9 Months
- $342.16 per credit (no fees)
Why take View of Earth and Planets online?
This online course begins by setting the stage with a look at the big picture: the cosmos. You will examine its scale and scope, what it’s made of, and how it originated. But more than that, you’ll look at the four fundamental forces of the Universe that constrain our ability to “see beyond.”
That’s right, the online course deals not only with factual information but also gets philosophic in a way that is sure to stimulate you toward your own further thinking. We’ll examine what science is; in fact, we’ll define science! We’ll see what it can do and also what it can’t do.
The factual content of the course is largely made up of things most people should know in this age of space exploration. After examining the cosmos and discussing the meaning and role of science, you’ll zoom in on Earth and the other bodies of the Solar System. You will learn that there is only one “solar” system and that the Solar System actually reaches nearly halfway to the next star, with trillions of objects still in orbit around the sun at that distance.
- Introduction: The Universe
- Humans and Science
- Space Terms
- Origin of the Solar System
- EXAM 1
- Earth’s Differentiation and Unusual Crust
- Earth’s Moon
- Impact Craters
- EXAM 2
- The Sun and Stars
- EXAM 3
- Jupiter and Its Moons
- Earth as a Habitable Planet
- EXAM 4
- EXAM 5—Comprehensive Final
Several themes run through the course:
- Our place in the cosmos. What are we?
- The relation of science to humans. Is it imposed on us, or did we choose it? Is there a scientific method? Is it used only by scientists?
- Through science, nature is knowable; questions about nature do have answers.
- Relate this content to our lives. For instance, should we take out insurance against being struck by a meteorite? Is alien visitation likely?
- The best way to learn something is to have to teach it. You’ll get very practiced with that in the way you write your homework answers.
What is required to take this online course?
None. All materials are included in the course.
How long will it take to complete the View of Earth and Planets course?
You have 3 to 9 months from your enrollment date to complete:
- 17 Lessons
- 5 Proctored Exams
The assignments for each lesson will vary. Some will require you to simply answer a question concerning information in the lesson text; others will require you to search the Internet or a library for an answer to a particular question; others will include questions about particular Internet sites; others will require you to make certain observations of the sky; and still others might require you to make a simple calculation.
Most of the assignments will require you to do at least a little writing, that is, to provide narrative responses to questions. That writing won’t be extensive, but rather, in most cases, a sentence or two.
How will the View of Earth and Planets course appear on my transcript?
You may enroll at any time and have 3-9 months to complete this online course. The college credits you earn will be recorded on your transcript in the semester you register.
Why Take Online Classes at UND?
Here are a few reasons why you should take an online enroll anytime course at UND:
- Great customer service – Our registration team is ready to answer questions quickly so you can focus on your coursework.
- Affordable – UND's enroll anytime courses are priced at North Dakota's affordable, in-state tuition rate.
- Accredited – UND is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
- Easily transfer credits – Transferring credits is always at the discretion of the institution to which the credits are being transferred. In general, credits from schools/universities that are regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission transfer to other regionally accredited institutions. UND's online courses appear on your UND transcript in the same way as other courses.
Flexible 100% Online Course
You'll take this online course at your own pace. Take our online quiz to help determine if online enroll anytime courses are right for you.
Course information including tuition, technology requirements, textbooks, lessons and exams is subject to change without notice.