First Year German I Online College Course
Our German online course covers grammar, the oral use of the German language and easy readings.
- Online - Self-Paced Enroll Anytime
- EST. time to complete:
- 3 to 9 Months
- $342.16 per credit (no fees)
Why take First Year German I online?
German 101 is a beginning German online course that assumes no prior knowledge of German. You will develop competence in the four basic language skills (speaking, listening, reading and writing) and learn about elements of German culture that you might encounter on a trip abroad.
In this online course, students work toward the A1 level in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. This level of proficiency enables students to conduct common social interactions in German, necessary for short-term educational travel and tourism. This course also prepares students for more advanced coursework. During the semester, students will learn to:
- Introduce themselves in conversation and answer simple personal questions.
- Make and respond to common requests from typical daily conversation situations.
- Understand simple questions, instructions and statements about everyday situations as well as short conversations.
- Read short German texts and extract specific information.
- Write short essays on personal topics and fill out simple forms correctly.
- Describe some of the basic elements of culture and society in German-speaking Europe. Attaining a level of proficiency appropriate for continuing to German 102.
What is required to take this online course?
Di Donato, Clyde and Vansant. Deutsch: Na Klar! 7th ed. (2015). ISBN 978-1259290862. McGraw-Hill Course URL: connect.mheducation.com/class/j-green-german-101-ol
This courses uses the textbook Deutsch: Na klar! (7th ed.). The courses uses the e-book version, which is accessed through Connect, McGraw-Hill's online platform. Once you purchase Connect, you may later order a looseleaf copy of the textbook at a discounted price, if preferred. Most assignments utilize exercises on the Connect site, providing immediate responses to your work and an explanation of the answers. The e-book version of the textbook also provides audio recordings for much of its material.
How long will it take to complete the First Year German I course?
You have 3 to 9 months from your enrollment date to complete:
- 32 Lessons, consisting of:
How will the First Year German I course appear on my transcript?
You may enroll at any time and have up to 9 months to complete your course, or you may be able to complete in as little as 3 months. The credits you earn will be recorded on your transcript in the semester you register. Keep in mind, UND can only verify your enrollment for the semester in which the course is registered and recorded on your transcript.
Why choose the University of North Dakota?
Here are a few reasons why you should take an online enroll anytime course at UND:
- Great customer service – Our registration team is ready to answer questions quickly so you can focus on your coursework.
- Affordable - UND's enroll anytime courses are priced at North Dakota's affordable, in-state tuition rate.
- Accredited - UND is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
- Easily transfer credits from UND - The transfer of credits is always at the discretion of the institution to which the credits are being transferred. In general, credits from schools/universities that are regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission transfer to other regionally accredited institutions. Enroll anytime courses appear on your UND transcript in the same way as on-campus and online semester-based courses appear.
Enroll-anytime courses allow you to complete the course at your own pace. Some students thrive in this environment, while other students may struggle setting their own deadlines. If you have successfully taken an independent study or correspondence course previously, UND’s enroll anytime courses may be right for you. Still not sure? Take this online quiz to help determine if enroll anytime courses are the right fit for you.
*Course information, including tuition, technology requirements, textbooks, lessons and exams is subject to change without notice.