Western Civilization I Online College Course
The History 101 online course provides an interpretive survey of Western Civilization from earliest times to the close of the European Middle Ages.
- Online - Self-Paced Enroll Anytime
- EST. time to complete:
- 3 to 9 Months
- $370.08 per credit
Why take Western Civilization I online?
An introduction to the history and historical traditions of “Western Civilization” – that is, of the peoples and cultures of the ancient Near East, the classical Mediterranean and Europe from the middle ages to the dawn of the modern age in the fifteenth century. In addition to sketching the broad outlines of pre-modern Western history, this course focuses on historical issues with special relevance to the understanding of the modern world.
Students taking this online course will gain an understanding of social-cultural diversity and will understand how to address issues, solve problems, and shape civic, personal and professional behavior. These learning objectives take form appropriate to this online course.
Students have 3-9 months to complete 16 lessons. Each lesson consists of a required reading from the textbook, a supplementary chapter or article, or both depending on the lesson. Within each lesson is a lecture or series of lectures introducing the main themes and topics of that lesson. Finally, there are a variety of assessments used throughout the course, which include:
- creating geography flashcards
- building historical timelines
- taking quizzes
- completing two country presentations
- writing primary source short essays
- writing a critical book review
This course does not have any exams.
What is the required textbook for HIST 101?
Michael Burger, The Shaping of Western Civilization Vol. I: From Antiquity to the Eighteenth Century. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2015. ISBN: 978-1442607569.
You may use either the hard copy or the e-text of the book.
How will the course appear on my transcript?
You may enroll at any time and have 3-9 months to complete this online course. The college credits you earn will be recorded on your transcript in the semester you register.
Why Take Online Classes at UND?
Here are a few reasons why you should take an online enroll anytime course at UND:
- Great customer service – Our registration team is ready to answer questions quickly so you can focus on your coursework.
- Affordable – UND's enroll anytime courses are priced at North Dakota's affordable, in-state tuition rate.
- Accredited – UND is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
- Easily transfer credits – Transferring credits is always at the discretion of the institution to which the credits are being transferred. In general, credits from schools/universities that are regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission transfer to other regionally accredited institutions. UND's online courses appear on your UND transcript in the same way as other courses.
Flexible 100% Online Course
You'll take this online course at your own pace. Some students thrive in this environment, while other students may struggle with setting their own deadlines. If you have successfully taken an independent study or correspondence course previously, UND’s enroll anytime courses may be right for you. Still not sure? Take our online quiz to help determine if online enroll anytime courses are right for you.
Course information including tuition, technology requirements, textbooks, lessons and exams is subject to change without notice.