Western Civilization I Online College Course
The History 101 online course provides an interpretive survey of Western Civilization from earliest times to the close of the European Middle Ages.
Registration currently closed. This course is under development and will be available again in September 2019.
- Online - Self-Paced Enroll Anytime
- EST. time to complete:
- 3 to 9 Months
- $342.16 per credit (no fees)
Why take Western Civilization I online?
An introduction to the history and historical traditions of “Western Civilization” – that is, of the peoples and cultures of the ancient Near East, the classical Mediterranean and Europe from the middle ages to the dawn of the modern age in the fifteenth century. In addition to sketching the broad outlines of pre-modern Western history, this course focuses on historical issues with special relevance to the understanding of the modern world.
Students taking this online course will gain an understanding of social-cultural diversity and will understand how to address issues, solve problems, and shape civic, personal and professional behavior. These learning objectives take form appropriate to this online course.
In addition, online course goals include the following:
- To provide students with a basic understanding of the history of the foundational cultures of Western Civilization.
- To promote an understanding of the importance of different cultures and cross-cultural exchange in the development of Western Civilization and the modern world.
- To engage students in cultural comparative analysis of major issues in the historical development of European civilization.
- To introduce students to the formal academic study of history, including reading and interpreting historical documents, thinking critically about important problems in the interpretation of history, and developing written and oral arguments about them.
- To help students develop the analytical, technical and creative skills necessary to effective academic and professional written communication.
What is required to take this online course?
Frank L. Kidner, et al, Making Europe: To 1790. vol. 1. (2nd ed.) (2013).
ISBN: 978-1111841331. You can use either the hard copy or the E-text of the book.
How long will it take to complete the Western Civilization course?
You have 3 to 9 months from your enrollment date to complete:
- 16 lessons, including:
- audio lectures
- writing assignments
- 1 open book/notes exam
How will the Western Civilization I course appear on my transcript?
You may enroll at any time and have up to 9 months to complete your course, or you may be able to complete in as little as 3 months. The credits you earn will be recorded on your transcript in the semester you register. Keep in mind, UND can only verify your enrollment for the semester in which the course is registered and recorded on your transcript.
Why choose the University of North Dakota?
Here are a few reasons why you should take an online enroll anytime course at UND:
- Great customer service – Our registration team is ready to answer questions quickly so you can focus on your coursework.
- Affordable - UND's enroll anytime courses are priced at North Dakota's affordable, in-state tuition rate.
- Accredited - UND is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
- Easily transfer credits from UND - The transfer of credits is always at the discretion of the institution to which the credits are being transferred. In general, credits from schools/universities that are regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission transfer to other regionally accredited institutions. Enroll anytime courses appear on your UND transcript in the same way as on-campus and online semester-based courses appear.
Enroll-anytime courses allow you to complete the course at your own pace. Some students thrive in this environment, while other students may struggle setting their own deadlines. If you have successfully taken an independent study or correspondence course previously, UND’s enroll anytime courses may be right for you. Still not sure? Take this online quiz to help determine if enroll anytime courses are the right fit for you.
*Course information, including tuition, technology requirements, textbooks, lessons and exams is subject to change without notice.