United States to 1877 Online College Course
The History 103 online course is a survey of early American history, including old world background, the transformation of British institutions into American institutions, the revolution and the establishment of the Union with its temporary breakup in Civil War.
- Online - Self-Paced Enroll Anytime
- EST. time to complete:
- 3 to 9 Months
- $342.16 per credit (no fees)
Why take United States to 1877 online?
This online course introduces the major political, economic, social and cultural developments in United States history. It spans the time Europeans and Africans first contacted the indigenous peoples of North America through Reconstruction.
It has three interrelated objectives:
- Introduce major themes, events and personalities in the period. To give students a basic framework for understanding the formation of early America.
- Develops students’ ability to understand some of the interpretive problems that historians encounter and debate in explaining the past.
- Develops critical thinking and related skills that students can deploy in other classes, as well as in their own personal and professional lives.
The online course focuses on varied cultural experiences of what has been termed the “American experience.” We examine the effect of contact between peoples of three different continents, and the evolving definitions of freedom and equality. Throughout the online course, we explore early American history from varied perspectives as we examine changing interpretations of what it means to be “American.” The online course assists students in understanding issues arising from different dimensions of diversity in the United States.
This online course helps develop new critical thinking skills, introduces the historian’s craft, and examines how our past shapes our present and future. As Robert A. Heinlein's Lazarus Long said, "A generation which ignores history has no past —and no future."
What is required to take this online course?
Tindal, George Brown and David Emory Shi. America a Narrative History, 10th Edition, Brief. Volume 1/Chapters 1-16. ISBN 978-0-393-26597-2.
Douglass, Frederick. Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass: An American Slave, Written by Himself (orig. 1845).
How long will it take to complete the United States to 1877 course?
You have 3 to 9 months from your enrollment date to complete:
- 16 Lessons, including:
- writing/presentation assignments
- short research papers
- No Exams
How will the United States to 1877 course appear on my transcript?
You may enroll at any time and have up to 9 months to complete your course, or you may be able to complete in as little as 3 months. The credits you earn will be recorded on your transcript in the semester you register. Keep in mind, UND can only verify your enrollment for the semester in which the course is registered and recorded on your transcript.
Why choose the University of North Dakota?
Here are a few reasons why you should take an online enroll anytime course at UND:
- Great customer service – Our registration team is ready to answer questions quickly so you can focus on your coursework.
- Affordable - UND's enroll anytime courses are priced at North Dakota's affordable, in-state tuition rate.
- Accredited - UND is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
- Easily transfer credits from UND - The transfer of credits is always at the discretion of the institution to which the credits are being transferred. In general, credits from schools/universities that are regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission transfer to other regionally accredited institutions. Enroll anytime courses appear on your UND transcript in the same way as on-campus and online semester-based courses appear.
Enroll-anytime courses allow you to complete the course at your own pace. Some students thrive in this environment, while other students may struggle setting their own deadlines. If you have successfully taken an independent study or correspondence course previously, UND’s enroll anytime courses may be right for you. Still not sure? Take this online quiz to help determine if enroll anytime courses are the right fit for you.
*Course information, including tuition, technology requirements, textbooks, lessons and exams is subject to change without notice.