United States since 1877 Online College Course
The History 104 online course is a survey of the history of the United States since Reconstruction, including the transformation of an isolationist, agrarian nation into an urban industrial and world power with attention to the resulting domestic, social, economic and political changes.
- Online - Self-Paced Enroll Anytime
- EST. time to complete:
- 3 to 9 Months
- $342.16 per credit (no fees)
Why take United States Since 1877 online?
This online course examines United States history from the end of Reconstruction to the beginning of the 21st century. It has three interrelated objectives.
- Introduce some of the major themes, events and personalities in the period, so as to give students a basic framework of the last 130 years of the American past.
- Develop students’ ability to understand some of the interpretive problems that historians encounter and debate in explaining the past.
- Develop critical thinking and related skills that students can deploy in other classes and in their own personal and professional lives.
This online course focuses on the varied cultural experiences, termed the “American experience.” In this way it is intended to assist students in understanding issues arising from different dimensions of diversity in the United States.
Through this online course you will:
- develop new critical thinking skills
- be introduced to the historian’s craft
- see how our past necessarily shapes our present and our future
As Robert A. Heinlein's Lazarus Long said, "A generation which ignores history has no past —and no future."
What is required to take this online course?
Tindal, George Brown and David Emory Shi. America a Narrative History, 10th Edition, Brief. Volume 2/Chapters 16-32. ISBN 978-0-393-26595-8
Wells, Ida B. Southern Horrors: Lynch Law in All Its Phases. New York Age Print, 1892.
Sanger, Margaret. Woman and the New Race. New York: Brentano’s, 1920.
(Free versions of the Wells and Sanger publication are available)
How long will it take to complete the United States Since 1877 course?
You have 3 to 9 months from your enrollment date to complete:
- 17 Lessons, including:
- writing/presentation assignments
- short research papers
- No Exams
How will the United States Since 1877 course appear on my transcript?
You may enroll at any time and have up to 9 months to complete your course, or you may be able to complete in as little as 3 months. The credits you earn will be recorded on your transcript in the semester you register. Keep in mind, UND can only verify your enrollment for the semester in which the course is registered and recorded on your transcript.
Why choose the University of North Dakota?
Here are a few reasons why you should take an online enroll anytime course at UND:
- Great customer service – Our registration team is ready to answer questions quickly so you can focus on your coursework.
- Affordable - UND's enroll anytime courses are priced at North Dakota's affordable, in-state tuition rate.
- Accredited - UND is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
- Easily transfer credits from UND - The transfer of credits is always at the discretion of the institution to which the credits are being transferred. In general, credits from schools/universities that are regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission transfer to other regionally accredited institutions. Enroll anytime courses appear on your UND transcript in the same way as on-campus and online semester-based courses appear.
Enroll-anytime courses allow you to complete the course at your own pace. Some students thrive in this environment, while other students may struggle setting their own deadlines. If you have successfully taken an independent study or correspondence course previously, UND’s enroll anytime courses may be right for you. Still not sure? Take this online quiz to help determine if enroll anytime courses are the right fit for you.
*Course information, including tuition, technology requirements, textbooks, lessons and exams is subject to change without notice.