United States since 1877 Online Course
History 104 examines United States history from the end of Reconstruction to the beginning of the 21st century.
- Online - Self-Paced Enroll Anytime
- EST. time to complete:
- 3 to 9 Months
- $370.08 per credit
Why take United States Since 1877 online?
This course will focus on the varied cultural experiences of what has been termed the “American experience.” It is intended to assist students in understanding issues arising from different dimensions of diversity in the United States. The course introduces some of the major themes, events and personalities in the period, so as to give students a basic framework of the last 130 years of the American past.
Students have 3-9 months to complete 17 lessons. In each lesson students will read, watch author videos, utilize online flashcards, and take quizzes. There are also four sections (units), with each section having a section response and a term paper. Most of the section responses and term papers have the option of submitting a written paper or a video response. There are no proctored exams in this course.
As Robert A. Heinlein's Lazarus Long said, "A generation which ignores history has no past —and no future."
What are the required texts for this course?
Shi, David E. America: A Narrative History, Brief Eleventh Edition. Volume 2
- ISBN: 978-0-393-66897-1 Paperback
- ISBN: 978-0-393-69616-5 Ebook
You may purchase the paperback or the e-book. Norton Publishing has online or downloadable options available for purchase. The Norton site includes the required InQuizitive online tools.
Two additional readings are provided (free) within the course:
- Wells, Ida B. Southern Horrors: Lynch Law in All Its Phases. New York Age Print, 1892.
- Sanger, Margaret. Woman and the New Race. New York: Brentano’s, 1920.
How will the United States Since 1877 course appear on my transcript?
You may enroll at any time and have 3-9 months to complete this online course. The college credits you earn will be recorded on your transcript in the semester you register.
Why Take Online Classes at UND?
Here are a few reasons why you should take an online enroll anytime course at UND:
- Great customer service – Our registration team is ready to answer questions quickly so you can focus on your coursework.
- Affordable – UND's enroll anytime courses are priced at North Dakota's affordable, in-state tuition rate.
- Accredited – UND is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
- Easily transfer credits – Transferring credits is always at the discretion of the institution to which the credits are being transferred. In general, credits from schools/universities that are regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission transfer to other regionally accredited institutions. UND's online courses appear on your UND transcript in the same way as other courses.
Flexible 100% Online Course
You'll take this online course at your own pace. Some students thrive in this environment, while other students may struggle with setting their own deadlines. If you have successfully taken an independent study or correspondence course previously, UND’s enroll anytime courses may be right for you. Still not sure? Take our online quiz to help determine if online enroll anytime courses are right for you.
Course information including tuition, technology requirements, textbooks, lessons and exams is subject to change without notice.