Sports Psychology Online College Course
Our sports psychology online course examines the psychological constructs that influence competitive sport processes and physical activity.
- Online - Self-Paced Enroll Anytime
- EST. time to complete:
- 3 to 9 Months
- $342.16 per credit (no fees)
Why take Sport Psychology online?
Talk to an athlete about their sport and you're likely to hear them mention the importance of being confident or maintaining motivation when things aren’t going their way, or how they were “in the zone.” Athletes who play team sports often talk about how important it is that everyone on their team “knows their role,” or how the team has (or has not) “come together.”
These are all topics that fall under the realm of sport psychology. One of the roles of a sport psychologist is to work with athletes to try to teach them how to hone their mental skills to improve their performance. To do this, sport psychologists use various methods—they have a “mental toolbox” if you will.
This online course covers sport psychological skills and the methods or techniques that are used to develop these skills. To this end, it examines psychological theories and research related to sport (and, to a lesser degree, exercise) behavior. The online course is designed to introduce you to the field of sport and exercise psychology by providing a broad overview of the major topics in the area.
Objectives of this online course include:
- Increase your understanding of how psychological factors influence involvement and performance in sport (and exercise and physical activity).
- Increase your understanding of how participation in sport (and exercise and physical activity) influences the psychological makeup of the individuals involved.
- Acquire skills and knowledge about sport (and exercise) psychology that you can apply as an athlete, coach, teacher, athletic trainer or exercise leader.
What is required to take this online course?
Weinberg, R.S., & Gould, D. (2015). Foundations of Sport and Exercise Psychology (6th ed.). Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics. ISBN-13: 9781450469814
How long will it take to complete the Sport Psychology course?
You have 3 to 9 months from your enrollment date to complete:
- 15 Lessons
- 3 Open Book Exams
Each lesson contains specific learning objectives, required readings, notes on the important key concepts for each lesson and various short assignments. For the most part, you will find that the assignments at the end of the lessons are experiential activities. The exams, however, are primarily factual.
How will the Sport Psychology course appear on my transcript?
You may enroll at any time and have up to 9 months to complete your course, or you may be able to complete in as little as 3 months. The credits you earn will be recorded on your transcript in the semester you register. Keep in mind, UND can only verify your enrollment for the semester in which the course is registered and recorded on your transcript.
Why choose the University of North Dakota?
Here are a few reasons why you should take an online enroll anytime course at UND:
- Great customer service – Our registration team is ready to answer questions quickly so you can focus on your coursework.
- Affordable - UND's enroll anytime courses are priced at North Dakota's affordable, in-state tuition rate.
- Accredited - UND is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
- Easily transfer credits from UND - The transfer of credits is always at the discretion of the institution to which the credits are being transferred. In general, credits from schools/universities that are regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission transfer to other regionally accredited institutions. Enroll anytime courses appear on your UND transcript in the same way as on-campus and online semester-based courses appear.
Enroll-anytime courses allow you to complete the course at your own pace. Some students thrive in this environment, while other students may struggle setting their own deadlines. If you have successfully taken an independent study or correspondence course previously, UND’s enroll anytime courses may be right for you. Still not sure? Take this online quiz to help determine if enroll anytime courses are the right fit for you.
*Course information, including tuition, technology requirements, textbooks, lessons and exams is subject to change without notice.