Global Gateways Online College Course
Our global languages online course provides an introduction to the interdisciplinary nature of cultural practices and traditions around the world.
- Online - Self-Paced Enroll Anytime
- EST. time to complete:
- 3 to 9 Months
- $342.16 per credit (no fees)
Why take Global Gateways online?
The law, courtroom trials, and the pursuit of social order and justice are themes that can be found in countless literary and cinematic works from across the globe. Whether fictional, historic, or portrayed in contemporary popular narratives, the trials that take place inside (and beyond) the social space of the courtroom possess theatrical qualities that have made them the focus of the media, political cartoons, television series, films, and literary texts.
By examining several texts and films from a wide array of cultures and historical time periods, this course will focus on the representation of trials, justice, the law, and the institution of the prison within several works of art. The traditional institution of the prison will be examined in order to determine its role(s), effectiveness, goals, and limits within a society. Along with this study, the many forms of non-traditional prisons (both physical and psychological) will be reviewed. In doing so, this course will explore the plight of those who find themselves imprisoned and thus viewed as deviant, criminal, and marginal by mainstream society. Particular emphasis will be placed on why and how authors and filmmakers portray criminality, the legal system, and imprisonment in their works of art. This online course is taught in English and there are no prerequisites.
What is required to take this online course?
MANDATORY TEXTS (7)
- The Return of Martin Guerre Natalie Zemon Davis
- I Accuse! Emile Zola
- Between Two World: My Life and Captivity in Iran Roxana Saberi
- Dreams of Trespass: Tales of a Harem Girlhood Fatima Mernissi
- The Nun Denis Diderot
- The Stranger Albert Camus
- Are Prisons Obsolete? Angela Davis
MANDATORY RESOURCES (2)
- The MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers, 8th Edition
- They Say, I Say, The Moves That Matter In Academic Writing, 3rd Edition
MANDATORY FILMS (7)
- The Reader Stephen Daldry
- Twelve Angry Men Sidney Lumet
- A Man Escaped Robert Bresson
- Sarah’s Key Gilles Paquet-Brenner
- Mississippi Burning Alan Parker
- To Kill A Mockingbird Robert Mulligan
- Les Misérables Bille August
How long will it take to complete the Global Gateways course?
You have 3 to 9 months from your enrollment date to complete:
- 16 Lessons
How will the Global Gateways course appear on my transcript?
You may enroll at any time and have up to 9 months to complete your course, or you may be able to complete in as little as 3 months. The credits you earn will be recorded on your transcript in the semester you register. Keep in mind, UND can only verify your enrollment for the semester in which the course is registered and recorded on your transcript.
Why choose the University of North Dakota?
Here are a few reasons why you should take an online enroll anytime course at UND:
- Great customer service – Our registration team is ready to answer questions quickly so you can focus on your coursework.
- Affordable - UND's enroll anytime courses are priced at North Dakota's affordable, in-state tuition rate.
- Accredited - UND is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
- Easily transfer credits from UND - The transfer of credits is always at the discretion of the institution to which the credits are being transferred. In general, credits from schools/universities that are regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission transfer to other regionally accredited institutions. Enroll anytime courses appear on your UND transcript in the same way as on-campus and online semester-based courses appear.
Enroll-anytime courses allow you to complete the course at your own pace. Some students thrive in this environment, while other students may struggle setting their own deadlines. If you have successfully taken an independent study or correspondence course previously, UND’s enroll anytime courses may be right for you. Still not sure? Take this online quiz to help determine if enroll anytime courses are the right fit for you.
*Course information, including tuition, technology requirements, textbooks, lessons and exams is subject to change without notice.