First-Year Norwegian Online Course
Get an introduction to the basic Norwegian language skills including reading, writing, speaking and listening in this online course.
- Online - Self-Paced Enroll Anytime
- EST. time to complete:
- 3 to 9 Months
- $370.08 per credit
About the Norwegian 101 Online Course
This is an introductory Norwegian course and does not assume any previous experience with Norwegian. The course will provide you with the tools to use norsk as a listener, speaker, reader, and writer in everyday situations involving daily events, food, weather, sports, clothing, health, likes/dislikes, and travel. Authentic cultural materials are used whenever possible to develop your understanding of the culture, attitudes, and beliefs of the Norwegian people and their language.
The two primary goals of this course are to increase your knowledge of the Norwegian language, and to strengthen your ability to assess, interpret, and discuss Norway on a global scale. Specific learning outcomes for the course are:
- The ability to comprehend and respond appropriately to basic questions and statements in Norwegian
- The ability to read and react to basic Norwegian texts
- Improvement in second language acquisition and communication skills
- Ability to appraise and understand the Norwegian language in a social and cultural context
Students have 3 to 9 months to complete this course from the time of enrollment. You may work at your own pace and complete lessons on your own schedule, submitting up to three items per week for grading. This course contains 22 lessons, including 5 proctored exams using ProctorU Auto, and 1 oral exam with the instructor. You will work through a combination of required readings, watch instructor videos, complete homework assignments, take quizzes, and complete exams. Lesson topics include:
- Å bli kjent (literally "to become acquainted," which we would translate as "Getting acquainted")
- Studier, arbeid og fritid ("Studies, Work and Free-time")
- Språk og mennesker ("Language(s) and People")
- I klasserommet ("In the Classroom")
- Fag og timeplaner ("Subjects and Schedules")
- Å lære norsk (literally, "To learn Norwegian"--translates to "Learning Norwegian"
frokost og lunsj
- middag (dinner)
- Kaffe og kveldsmat (Coffee and “Evening Food”)
- Sport of friluftsliv
- Underholdning og interesser (entertainment and interests)
- Hverdagsliv (Everyday Life)
- Klima og vær ("Climate and Weather")
- Årstider og helligdager ("Seasons and Holidays")
- Klær og mote (Clothes and Fashion)
- Required: Sett i gang 1 (2nd edition) by Nancy Aarsvold & Kari Lie ISBN: 978-1530276004
- Recommended: Dictionary: Norwegian Practical Dictionary (Norwegian-English/English-Norwegian) by Laura Ziukaite-Hansen ISBN 978-0781811064
- Recommended: Grammar Reference: Norwegian Verbs & Essentials of Grammar by Louis Janus ISBN: 0-8442-8596-X
How will the course appear on my transcript?
You may enroll at any time and have 3-9 months to complete this online course. The college credits you earn will be recorded on your transcript in the semester you register.
Why Take Online Classes at UND?
Here are a few reasons why you should take an online enroll anytime course at UND:
- Great customer service – Our registration team is ready to answer questions quickly so you can focus on your coursework.
- Affordable – UND's enroll anytime courses are priced at North Dakota's affordable, in-state tuition rate.
- Accredited – UND is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
- Easily transfer credits – Transferring credits is always at the discretion of the institution to which the credits are being transferred. In general, credits from schools/universities that are regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission transfer to other regionally accredited institutions. UND's online courses appear on your UND transcript in the same way as other courses.
Flexible 100% Online Course
You'll take this online course at your own pace. Some students thrive in this environment, while other students may struggle with setting their own deadlines. If you have successfully taken an independent study or correspondence course previously, UND’s enroll anytime courses may be right for you. Still not sure? Take our online quiz to help determine if online enroll anytime courses are right for you.
Course information including tuition, technology requirements, textbooks, lessons and exams is subject to change without notice.