First-Year Norwegian Online Course
Get an introduction to the basic Norwegian language skills including reading, writing, speaking and listening in this online course.
- Online - Self-Paced Enroll Anytime
- EST. time to complete:
- 3 to 9 Months
- $342.16 per credit (no fees)
What will I learn in the Norwegian online class at UND?
This is an introductory Norwegian online course and does not assume any previous experience with Norwegian. The online class will provide you with the tools to use norsk as a listener, speaker, reader, and writer in everyday situations involving daily events, food, weather, sports, clothing, health, likes/dislikes, and travel. Authentic cultural materials are used whenever possible to develop your understanding of the culture, attitudes, and beliefs of the Norwegian people and their language.
The two primary goals of this Norwegian online course are to increase your knowledge of the Norwegian language, and to strengthen your ability to assess, interpret, and discuss Norway on a global scale.
By taking the introduction to Norwegian class, you will have:
- The ability to comprehend and respond appropriately to basic questions and statements in Norwegian
- The ability to read and react to basic Norwegian texts
- Improvement in second language acquisition and communication skills
- The ability to appraise and understand the Norwegian language in a social and cultural context
How to take the Norwegian online course at UND?
You have 3 to 9 months from your enrollment date to complete 16 lessons, five proctored exams and one oral exam.
Required Norwegian Textbook
Sett i gang 1 (2nd edition) by Nancy Aarsvold & Kari Lie/ ISBN: 978-1530276004
You will also need to sign up for a free Skype account.
Recommended Texts About Norwegian
Dictionary: Norwegian Practical Dictionary (Norwegian-English/English-Norwegian) by Laura Ziukaite-Hansen/ ISBN 978-0781811064
Grammar Reference: Norwegian Verbs & Essentials of Grammar by Louis Janus/ ISBN: 0-8442-8596-X
How will the Norwegian course appear on my transcript?
You may enroll at any time and have up to 9 months to complete your course, or you may be able to complete in as little as 3 months. The credits you earn will be recorded on your transcript in the semester you register. Keep in mind, UND can only verify your enrollment for the semester in which the course is registered and recorded on your transcript.
Why choose the University of North Dakota?
Here are a few reasons why you should take an online enroll anytime course at UND:
- Great customer service – Our registration team is ready to answer questions quickly so you can focus on your coursework.
- Affordable - UND's enroll anytime courses are priced at North Dakota's affordable, in-state tuition rate.
- Accredited - UND is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
- Easily transfer credits from UND - The transfer of credits is always at the discretion of the institution to which the credits are being transferred. In general, credits from schools/universities that are regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission transfer to other regionally accredited institutions. Enroll anytime courses appear on your UND transcript in the same way as on-campus and online semester-based courses appear.
Enroll-anytime courses allow you to complete the course at your own pace. Some students thrive in this environment, while other students may struggle setting their own deadlines. If you have successfully taken an independent study or correspondence course previously, UND’s enroll anytime courses may be right for you. Still not sure? Take this online quiz to help determine if enroll anytime courses are the right fit for you.
*Course information, including tuition, technology requirements, textbooks, lessons and exams is subject to change without notice.